2009 Suzuki GS500 - Coolness Factor = 57.7%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2009 Suzuki GS500 is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2009 Suzuki GS500 - Coolness Factor = 57.7%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2009 Suzuki GS500 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... -GS500.htm

2009 Suzuki GS500

Looking for your first street bike? Just learning to ride? We have just the bike for you. The GS500 has outstanding maneuverability, thanks to its low seat height and light weight. You'll really appreciate the GS500's all-around street performance and outstanding fuel economy. Its twin-cylinder engine offers strong acceleration and quick, clean throttle response. With its well-padded seat and smooth suspension, it also provides a comfortable ride on the highway.

Now's the time to get in the game - on the 2009 Suzuki GS500.

Features

Chassis Features
Durable 110/70-17 front tire and 130/ 70-17 rear tire mounted on lightweight cast aluminum wheels

Large 20.0 L (4.4 Imp gal) fuel tank combined with fuel-efficient engine provide long range operation for commuting or pleasure riding

Strong braking performance - single disc front brake with large 310mm rotor and four-piston caliper, plus single disc rear brake with two-piston caliper

Telescopic front fork and link-type rear suspension with adjustable preload provide a comfortable ride for commuting or pleasure riding

Tube-type handlebars, low center of gravity and low 31 inch seat height for increased versatility and rider comfort

2009 Suzuki GS500 - Total Motorcycle Specifications
MSRP: $5,699 CDN
MSRP: $5,499 USD (limited stock)

Engine:
Bore Stroke 74.0 mm (2.913 in) x 56.6 mm (2.228 in)
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Engine 487cc (29.7 cu. in), 4-stroke, air-cooled DOHC
Fuel System Mikuni™ BSR34SS
Ignition Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
Lubrication Wet Sump
Total Motorcycle
Starter Electric

Chassis:
Brakes Front Single hydraulic disc
Brakes Rear Single hydraulic disc
Color Blue/Black, Black
Curb Weight 193 kg (425 lbs)
Final Drive D.I.D. 520VM, 110 links
Fuel Tank Capacity 20.0 L (4.4 Imp gal)
Ground Clearance 120 mm (4.7 in)
Overall Length 2080 mm (81.9 in)
Overall Width 820 mm (32.3 in)
Seat Height 790 mm (31.1 in)
Suspension Front Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear Link type, 5-way adjustable preload
Tires Front 110/70-17M/C (54H), tubeless, TMW
Tires Rear 130/70-17M/C (62H), tubeless
Transmission 6-speed constant mesh
Wheelbase 1405 mm (55.3 in)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This week: 2009 Suzuki GS500: Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Here we are, a blast from the recent past! Suzuki sold tens of thousands of GS500E over its very long (1989-2009) reign. The perfect cheap bike that became a classic among new and returning riders or riders looking for a great value.

Was it Awesome? Is it still Awesome? Do you wish it was still being sold new today?

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

CalinAlisa
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: CBR250R

#3 Unread post by CalinAlisa »

I gave it an "Awesome" vote on account of its handling. The GS500E falls into every turn with a disconcerting ease and the engine is all velvet (after a lengthy warm-up, truth be told). Not even the soft suspension can spoil the joy of riding it. I would have bought this motorcycle, but, when I was shopping for one in 2010, they only sold the F version here in Canada and I thought it would be too susceptible to side winds. I should have listened to my heart, put some work into it and made it into a naked. Wish Suzuki would consider updating it with FI, but not necessarily with liquid cooling. And PLEASE, Suzuki, don't fiddle with the mass distribution, as it is perfect! I sold my CBR250 a few weeks ago and an updated iteration of the GS500E would be on the shortest of my short lists if it came out in a timely manner.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

CalinAlisa wrote:! I sold my CBR250 a few weeks ago and an updated iteration of the GS500E would be on the shortest of my short lists if it came out in a timely manner.
Check out this offering from Suzuki: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... us-ABS.htm it is the closest Suzuki gets to the GS500E and it's a great bike, well recommended.

Mike

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#5 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I do like the look of them. Never rode one though. I say cool
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I owner one back a few months ago nice little fetcher. I wonderful little city bike IMO, I also had a 4 cyl 550GS which was a good little machine as well
there aint nothin like it

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

I still think we need a "Meh" option (who was it that came up with that...?), but I voted "cool" because none of the other options would suffice. I've nothing against the bike, the GS series have a long history and are solid machines, but so are many other bikes from other manufacturers. Nothing interesting to see here, move along, folks.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#8 Unread post by madjak30 »

I had a 2003 GS500E for a first bike...it was an awesome bike to start on! I would recommend anyone start on it...not under powered but won't scare you either...I still miss that little bike. My only complaint was I like to hit the hiway & this bike is competant, but I wanted a little more grunt when hitting hills or a stiff head wind (god forbid both)

I'd have kept that bike for others to learn on, but wifey wouldn't allow it.

Voted: AWESOME!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#9 Unread post by Hanson »

The SFV650 has a more relaxed riding position than the GS500 and quite a bit more power. It is also 8k which is not exactly an inexpensive entry level bike. A closer market segment match for the GS500 might be the new Honda CB500F with a 5.5k price point, 6k with ABS. The SFV650 has the same engine as the V-Strom 650 which only costs $500 more and comes standard with ABS and a lot of utility. The SFV650 is not available with ABS in the United States. For an entry level naked standard my choice would be the Honda CB500F with ABS and if I was going to spend more I would rather pay 8.5K for a DL650 with ABS than 8K for the SFV650 without.

Part of the issue for me is simply that I have promised Mrs. Hanson that I will get a moto with ABS. I find it interesting that many Canadian models come with ABS and some U.S. models do not. This is true for the SFV650 and also for the Honda NC700X which comes with ABS in Canada but ABS is only available as in option bundled with Honda's duel clutch automatic in the States. I am rather intrigued by the NC700X, despite a bad showroom experience with a very pushy salesman, and the tall Honda would also be on my short list if I could just add ABS without the automatic. Even my Dodge Ram 3500 DRW has a manual transmission and I will never have a motorcycle with an automatic.

I think Honda has done a great job with their new 500 platform trifecta and it would be great if Suzuki would respond with an updated GS500. I do not see the SFV650 as being in the same market niche.

The GS500 earns a cool, but not by much. An updated, modern fuel injected GS500 with ABS would be an easy cool.
ImageImage

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

For what it is and what it's aimed it you couldn't ask for a better bike. Cheap, reliable, easy to work on, common parts, and in a do-it-all package. What I don't understand is the amount of uncool's and fails. It's not a supersport nor a cruiser, it's a fun little bike made to bring new and returning riders into riding and it does it in spades. There are not many bikes I mourn the passing of but I was quite sad to learn at the time that the 2009 was the last model year of the little GS500E.

I always wished Suzuki made it in a 750cc version.

Mike