2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special: Coolness = 60.3%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2014 Harley-Davidson FLHXS Street Glide Special is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special: Coolness = 60.3%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Harley-Davidson FLHXS Street Glide Special on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... pecial.htm

2014 Harley-Davidson FLHXS Street Glide Special

When it comes to stripped down bagger style , highway comfort, usable technology and an unruly attitude, this is the new state of the art...

Enhanced by Project RUSHMORE, the new- for-2014 Street Glide® Special takes the hot-rod bagger formula a little further, adding a Gloss Black inner fairing, Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS, the Boom!™ Box 6.5 GT infotainment system and CVO™-style hand-adjustable lowered rear suspension as standard equipment. Powered by the new High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine and featuring a new Batwing fairing with Splitstream vent to reduce rider head buffeting, the Street Glide® Special is truly loaded bagger.

The innovative Harley-Davidson® Touring chassis, based on a single-spar, rigid backbone frame and a stout swingarm developed to withstand the demands of long-haul touring riders and todays more-powerful engines.

2014 Harley-Davidson FLHXS Street Glide Special Total Motorcycle Features and Benefits

Project RUSHMORE - Engine

As every rider knows, the engine is at the heart of the experience of riding a motorcycle. The amount of torque and horsepower it delivers over the RPM range is in direct proportion to the feeling it gives you when you roll on the throttle. We know what riders want from a motorcycle engine because we’ve been building them for 110 years. Project RUSHMORE gave us the opportunity to dial it in just right. We conducted thousands of road tests with real riders giving us feedback to build the next iteration of the legendary Harley-Davidson® engine. The consensus was: We want more. More low-end torque, more passing power, more perfection in the tone of the exhaust note, more of the feeling we ride a motorcycle for. So we built the engines that deliver it. We’re proud to unveil the next level of Harley-Davidson® V-Twin engine. And prove once and for all, the customer is always right.

Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103® Engine
If you started in 1909 with the very first Harley-Davidson V-Twin engine and worked your way up through every engine, every innovation, every improvement, every ride, every durability test in all those years and countless miles since, you arrive at the Twin Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine. This is the top of the line. 103 cubic inches of air and precision cooled Harley-Davidson® V-twin power. Twin cooling cools the heads around the exhaust ports to deliver at or near peak performance under all operating conditions and temperatures. Higher compression ratio increases efficiency and horsepower. There’s a new airbox for increased airflow and a new cam to optimize low-end torque. It’s got the fastest 60 to 80 mph 5th gear roll on in the history of Harley-Davidson. Which means it’s got the most passing power in the history of Harley-Davidson. On top of all that, it puts less heat on the rider and passenger on scorching days and in stop and go traffic

2014 Harley-Davidson FLHXS Street Glide Special - Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: Vivid Black $22,499; Color Option $23,009.
Canadian MSRP Price: Vivid Black $25,669; Color Option $26,249.

Totalmotorcycle.com DIMENSIONS

Length - 96.5 in.

Seat Height, Laden 7 - 26.1 in.

Seat Height, Unladen 7 - 27.4 in.

Ground Clearance - 5.3 in.

Rake (steering head) (deg) - 26

Trail - 6.8 in.

Wheelbase - 64 in.

Tires, Front Specification - 130/60B19 61H

Tires, Rear Specification - BW 180/65B16 81H

Fuel Capacity - 6 gal.

Oil Capacity (w/filter) - 4 qt.

Weight, As Shipped - 775 lb.

Weight, In Running Order - 810 lb.

Luggage Capacity -Volume - 2.3 cu ft

INFOTAINMENT (BOOM! BOX™ 6.5GT)

Totalmotorcycle.comENGINE

Engine 1 - Air-cooled, High Output Twin Cam 103™ with integrated oil cooler

Bore - 3.87 in.

Stroke - 4.374 in.

Displacement - 103.1 cu in

Compression Ratio - 9.7:1

Fuel System 3 - Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)

Totalmotorcycle.com DRIVETRAIN

Primary Drive - Chain, 34/46 ratio

Gear Ratios (overall) 1st - 9.593

Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd - 6.65

Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd - 4.938

Gear Ratios (overall) 4th - 4.0

Gear Ratios (overall) 5th - 3.407

Gear Ratios (overall) 6th - 2.875

Totalmotorcycle.com CHASSIS

Exhaust - Chrome, 2-1-2 dual exhaust with tapered mufflers

Wheels, Optional Style Type 9 - N/A

Wheels, Front Type 9 - Enforcer Cast Aluminum

Wheels, Rear Type - Enforcer Cast Aluminum

Brakes, Caliper Type - 32 mm, 4-piston fixed front and rear

Totalmotorcycle.com PERFORMANCE

Engine Torque Testing Method - J1349

Engine Torque 2 - 104.7 ft-lb

Engine Torque (rpm) - 3,250

Lean Angle, Right (deg.) - 32

Lean Angle, Left (deg.) - 31

Totalmotorcycle.com Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy 5 - 42 mpg

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... pecial.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This week: 2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Spc: Vote T

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

At first glance, even I missed where the water cooling was, but it's the "engine crash guards" that are the water cooling tubes! Now, that will be horrible in a crash (imagine scorching hot liquid being pumped all over your legs/you). But it's an interesting and unique idea, almost Buell like!
The above was my initial guess, but I maybe off (see page 2 of this topic) as I (still) can't find where the radiator is on this model.

Water Cooled Harley-Davidson 103 High Output Engine: The Twin-Cooled High Output 103 offers 10.7 percent more peak torque than the standard Twin Cam 103 engine.
Attachments
Water Cooled Harley-Davidson 103 High Output Engine
Water Cooled Harley-Davidson 103 High Output Engine
twin-cooled-103.png (195.15 KiB) Viewed 11474 times

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

I voted "cool". Interesting way to partially water cool the motor, but I'd like to see how the long term reliability holds up. I'm still waiting for a proper, fully water cooled motor in aRoad glide chassis, so I see these 2014's as a tempting glimpse of what will hopefully be coming soon.

And Mike, if you get into an accident bad enough to rip the crash guards off, I think you'd have more problems than just hot water spills to worry about. :shock:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

I went with uncool, apart from the partially water cooled engine part, it's really just more of the same. When the motor company released the V-Rod, I briefly thought maybe they might start doing something new and innovative with their product line, but no, all we are getting from them is basically variations of the same old tired and oft copied theme.
Always ask why.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

Well, judging by the bike in the pictures they deserve an AWESOME for making the radiators transparent. Is it just me or are the radiators missing completely from the bike in the picture??? :mrgreen:
totalmotorcycle wrote:

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

ceemes wrote:I went with uncool
Didn't see that one coming. :whistling:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

I like the way the Street Glide looks. I went with cool.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#8 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I went with uncool There are just to many ubercriusers out right now and I am a sportster/dyna guy when it comes to the MoCo
there aint nothin like it

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

High_Side wrote:Well, judging by the bike in the pictures they deserve an AWESOME for making the radiators transparent. Is it just me or are the radiators missing completely from the bike in the picture??? :mrgreen:
totalmotorcycle wrote:

Okay, I'm trying to figure this thing out. The press notes say it's twin cooled, but it doesn't have radiators like the Electra Glides. (Even the technical illustration posted shows these radiator pods).

Also, apologies for how massive the following image is. How do you resize these things?

"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:
High_Side wrote:Well, judging by the bike in the pictures they deserve an AWESOME for making the radiators transparent. Is it just me or are the radiators missing completely from the bike in the picture??? :mrgreen:
totalmotorcycle wrote:

Okay, I'm trying to figure this thing out. The press notes say it's twin cooled, but it doesn't have radiators like the Electra Glides. (Even the technical illustration posted shows these radiator pods).

Also, apologies for how massive the following image is. How do you resize these things?
The radiator shrouds on the Electra Glides (Even the technical illustration posted shows these radiator pods) contain a fan, now I'm guessing here, but the fan could be there because not enough air flow is making it to the pipes (engine guards). And I'm only guessing it has to be the engine guards because I don't see anything else attached to the engine to bring the coolant down to any radiator and the tech diagram shows the coolant pipes that match the "engine guards"... Maybe they are just engine guards and they are on ALL the new tourers and not the coolant pipes... but if so, where is the coolant pipes?

Same cooled engine, but it is either so well hidden or there isn't water cooling on the Street Glide versions.

Mike
Attachments
twin-cooled-system-2-530x476.png
twin-cooled-system-2-530x476.png (203.55 KiB) Viewed 11393 times