2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special: Coolness = 60.3%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2014 Harley-Davidson FLHXS Street Glide Special is..

You may select 1 option

View results

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: This week: 2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Spc: Vote T

#21 Unread post by jstark47 »

Gummiente wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:Happen to know if "Reflex ABS" lets you use the rear brake on its own?
It took me a while, but I found this item in a review posted on the Overdrive website; "The system connects the brakes between 32 and 40kmph. Lower speeds or higher speeds allow the brakes to be operated independent of each other". I guess that explains why they are electronically linked.

I've never owned a bike with ABS (but have ridden a few) and while I do like the idea behind it, I'm not sure if linked brakes are a good idea at any speed. in fact, on a sidecar equipped motorcycle they would actually be more of a danger than a help in certain situations.
Why the heck would the MoCo go to all that trouble just to link brakes in an 8 kmh range? That's silly.

I'm not a fan of linked brakes either. My very first bike, a Honda Reflex scooter, had them. It was hard to do tight parking lot turns on that bike, dragging the rear brake also applied one of the three front pistons.

As far as the bike itself goes, batwing baggers aren't my favorite genre. This one's kind of pricey, too. However, I suppose it's a well-executed example of the type. Everything I read about the 103 motor is positive, except for the heat. Not my personal cup of tea, but I'll give it a Cool anyway.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#22 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I finally went with: Uncool.

I donno, I think what we are seeing here is Harley-Davidson hitting a (soft) limit on what they can do (or are prepared to do) with their lineup. Even with the 98's H-D was having issues with engine heat problems, then the 103's ran even hotter, thus the "forward throttle twist" idea of cutting out the rear cylinder at a stop came out. Now it seems either that just wasn't enough and/or H-D is running into a air quality control issue as well. While the 103 is a "new" engine it really isn't vastly different than the 98 introduced in 1998. Heck, even the Sportster Evolution engine hasn't changed since 1986, and there are only a few motorcycles on the market today still using such an old design.

So that brings up the thought that somewhere, sometime, we must see something new/better/different in a H-D engine than we are seeing today. That is a day I'm looking forward to as I know H-D can do it, it's just if the market will accept them doing it.

As for the Street Glide, it's a good bike and there is nothing wrong with it and a little update it got. I'd just like to see it evolve as well into from what it is today to what it will be tomorrow (like the engine). No one can truly duplicate the sound of an H-D but...

I like Harley-Davidson bikes and the company is an amazing marketing company as well. I just know they are capable of so much more than playing catch-up and that's really the only disappointing part.

The line: "Don't fix what ain't broken" is good for H-D, but in today's world, maybe H-D is falling just a little too behind?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#23 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:So that brings up the thought that somewhere, sometime, we must see something new/better/different in a H-D engine than we are seeing today.
It came out in 2001. It's called the V-rod. :) But not many people seem to want it.

Seriously, I know what you mean Mike. H-D knows it too, so they're tip toeing into water-cooled motors.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#24 Unread post by Gummiente »

totalmotorcycle wrote:The line: "Don't fix what ain't broken" is good for H-D
Think about that a little harder and the understanding of why they do what they do will come to you; if HD's market research indicated that people wanted zippy sport bikes with all the latest gee-whiz technology, then that is what they'd be building.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#25 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Gummiente wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:The line: "Don't fix what ain't broken" is good for H-D
Think about that a little harder and the understanding of why they do what they do will come to you; if HD's market research indicated that people wanted zippy sport bikes with all the latest gee-whiz technology, then that is what they'd be building.
It makes me wonder about H-D loyalists though. There are lots of old brands out there with loyal enthusiasts; BMW, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, etc. And they get to make bikes in lots of different categories, for different tastes. I wonder if H-D feels it's unfair that they get pummeled whenever they do something new, like the V-Rod or the XR1200 (and I don't get it, since these two are pretty awesome bikes).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#26 Unread post by Gummiente »

True enough, Mr Grey. And then there's that whole Buell episode. And the buy/sell of MV Agusta. Two companies that could have taken HD in a whole new direction, but no. I believe the only reason the V-Rod is still around is because they sell like hotcakes everywhere else except in North America and that is a shame because they are indeed very nice bikes.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#27 Unread post by BobK »

Gummiente wrote:True enough, Mr Grey. And then there's that whole Buell episode. And the buy/sell of MV Agusta. Two companies that could have taken HD in a whole new direction, but no. I believe the only reason the V-Rod is still around is because they sell like hotcakes everywhere else except in North America and that is a shame because they are indeed very nice bikes.
I've seen as many V-Rods on the road in Europe as I have other Harley models. Also, the "pirates" here drive all brands of bikes, not just Harleys.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#28 Unread post by Wrider »

I heard a joke about the new motor from a MoCo loyalist the other day and I figured it would make most of you laugh.

The HD timeline will now be known as follows:
Flathead
Knucklehead
Panhead
Shovelhead
Evo
Twin Cam
And their latest and greatest? Introducing the Showerhead!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#29 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Hahaha
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

High_Side