Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 - Coolness Factor = 62.3%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... eet500.htm

2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 on Totalmotorcycle.com

Built for the urban environment...

Available in select markets in 2014, the Street 500 feature all-new liquid-cooled Revolution X™ powertrains that match the demands of stop-and-go traffic with nimble agility, while delivering instant throttle response to escape city gridlock.

Harley-Davidson is continuing its monumental ride, which began with the introduction of Project RUSHMORE in August, by revealing two new Dark Custom™ motorcycles designed for young urban riders around the world.

The Harley-Davidson Street™ 500 motorcycles – the first all-new platform from Harley-Davidson in 13 years – are built for urban environments with all-new liquid-cooled Revolution X™ powertrains, nimble agility and the sound and look that lets everyone know they are genuine Harley-Davidson.

“These are the newest motorcycles to join our Dark Custom lineup, which helped make us the number-one selling brand to young adults in the U.S. for the past five years,” said Matt Levatich, President and Chief Operating Officer, Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “Both the Street 750 and Street 500 were designed with thousands of hours of input from young adults in cities around the world. This input guided both the attitude and capabilities of these motorcycles. They are proof that being customer-led continues to be a core driver of our product development process.”

Urban, Authentic Harley-Davidson

Introducing the Revolution X™ engine.

Riding on crowded streets and jam-packed freeways puts its own set of demands on a motorcycle engine. The all-new Revolution X™ engine is pure Harley-Davidson V-Twin muscle specifically designed for urban riding. It’s liquid cooled to maintain peak performance no matter how high the mercury climbs or how long you’re in gridlock. There’s a single overhead cam. Four valves per head. And a smooth-shifting 6-speed transmission. It all translates to one thing: instant response to the twist you give the throttle when stop turns to go.

2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 - Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: Starting at $6,700 - $7,500 USD

494 CC Liquid Cooled Revolution X™ Engine
6 Speed Transmission
Belt Drive
2 into 1 Exhaust
Mid Mount Controls
Easy Lock to Lock Sweep
Single Caliper Disc Brakes
Specially Tuned Suspension
2 Up Seat with Passenger Pegs
Metal Tank and Fenders
LED Tail Lights and Bullet Signals
Locking Gas Cap, Forks, and Ignition
V Twin 60° 4-Valves per Head
Wheel Size: 17” Front, 15” Rear
Wheelbase: 59.5”
Weight: 480 LBS (WET)

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... eet500.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This week: 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500: Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I had a really difficult time choosing to put up either the 500 or the 750 street, both are unique this year to Harley-Davidson, neither have been seen before in this century. I let Andrea choose and she said go for the 500, it's a little more unique as H-D hasn't offered something in this range before (other than the 500 Blast!).

So enjoy!

Mike

P.S. The wet weight of both the 500 and 750 are identical. My guess (it is just a guess at this time) is the engines are the SAME engine, but the 750 is sleeved to be a 500cc, thus the same weight as they are the same bike.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#3 Unread post by montanalifter »

I like it, new liquid cooled engine. Smaller size and weight for people that don't need or want a bigger bike. Good looking bike, don't know how hard it would be working on the interstate but i'm sure it would do it fine. And last but not least you get a Harley for 7k.
Last edited by montanalifter on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

Awesome.

Because it's about frickin' time Harley did this.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I voted cool but with awesome undertones it's good to see the MOCo going for the future
there aint nothin like it

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Well, now we know why Harley has so long insisted on air-cooled powerplants instead of joining the 21st Century...

Their engineers create rad shrouds that look like minivan skid plates. WOW that's ugly!

What's cool about this bike is the underlying market forces that brought it into existence. If even these plodding old dinosaurs can't ignore the beginner/entry level market, it means our sport is growing and attracting new blood. They'd like us to believe these bikes are aimed are experienced riders who just don't need a liter+ bike for their gettin' around town days, but it's beginners who are going to ride these things home and that's the market share they're hoping to glom on to.

And that notion is what's Uncool about this bike. The idea that a 500 or 750 is only good for 'urban environments' is ridiculous, and it shows a contempt for all of us who do our road tripping on sub-liter cruisers. If the winding canyons and raked switchbacks of Flaming Gorge are 'urban', I'm a monkey's uncle.

So no, this isn't a Fail, but it is solidly UnCool.

:::ducks:::

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

Kudo's for HD for finally offering a true entry level bike. However, styling cues that don't work for me....

The head light casing/fairing, it's either too much of one or too little of the other.

The wheels rims, that spoke design reminds me of the mushroom slicer I operated between delivering pizza's as a teen, either go with a proper traditional wire spoke rim or a proper rim such as on the first bike pictured not that art deco abortion on the second bike.

The air filter, okay I know HD have this thing about showing off their air filters, but come on.....that one looks like a glaring pimple on the face of a beauty queen....

rad shroud....Jack of the Green said all that there is to say about it......

and basically its attempt to look retro chic...sorry, not working for me......

however, unlike Jack, I will give it a cool, namely because it is the first truly entry level bike that will appeal to a broad spectrum of riders and it is the one of most innovated bikes HD has released since the V-Rod......hmmmm, wonder how long it will last before they kill it off????
Always ask why.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#8 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

LOL they can put it in the museum with the Aeromachi's,Buells and XR's pretty sad sometimes great point. :lol:
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:Kudo's for HD for finally offering a true entry level bike. However, styling cues that don't work for me....

The head light casing/fairing, it's either too much of one or too little of the other.

The wheels rims, that spoke design reminds me of the mushroom slicer I operated between delivering pizza's as a teen, either go with a proper traditional wire spoke rim or a proper rim such as on the first bike pictured not that art deco abortion on the second bike...
Sorry, I should have stated the 1st photo is of the stock bike, the 2nd with everything H-D can farkel it up with.

Mike

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#10 Unread post by Gummiente »

JackoftheGreen wrote:The idea that a 500 or 750 is only good for 'urban environments' is ridiculous, and it shows a contempt for all of us who do our road tripping on sub-liter cruisers.
I think you missed this statement in the first post; "Riding on crowded streets and jam-packed freeways puts its own set of demands on a motorcycle engine. The all-new Revolution X™ engine is pure Harley-Davidson V-Twin muscle specifically designed for urban riding. It’s liquid cooled to maintain peak performance no matter how high the mercury climbs or how long you’re in gridlock". In other words, the liquid cooled motor handles city life much better than the other traditional air-cooled siblings of the HD family. While there is an obvious slant towards city riding with this particular model, I hardly think the underlying message from Harley is to stay in the city with it.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride