Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2001 Suzuki TL1000R - Coolness Factor = 66.7%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2001 Suzuki TL1000R on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... L1000R.htm

(2003 shown)

2001 Suzuki TL 1000 R

If there was ever a family of motorcycles that "owned the racetrack" the GSX-R line is it. Not surprising considering the thousands of GSX-R motorcycles sold worldwide since the model's inception, and their popularity at all levels of roadracing. Now, the new generation of GSX-R motorcycles is complete with a new 600 supersport contender and an open-class machine with the best power-to-weight ratio in its class. Rounding out the supersport line is the TL1000R - a V-twin-powered machine with outstanding performance on the street or the track.

THE SUZUKI TL1000R: V-TWIN SUPERBIKE

The TL1000R combines all the power and performance of a traditional large-displacement V-twin, but takes it a step further with the latest performance technology. Technology that makes for a tractable street machine plus engine and chassis adjustability needed for the race track.

Suzuki engineers based the engine around the awesome TL1000S 90o V-twin, power plant and tuned it for even more power and torque. Features such as forged pistons, lightweight conrods, twin radiators, high-capacity airbox and exhaust system, larger clutch, twin injector-per- throttle body fuel injection system and many other refinements for increased performance and durability.

The TL1000R has an equally race-ready chassis centering around a short wheelbase aluminum spar-type frame. The frame is combined with a bridge-type swingarm, fully adjustable inverted forks, and Suzuki's unique rotary damper rear suspension for quick, precise handling. Superior braking performance is provided by 320mm front disc brakes with 6-piston calipers and wide radial tires. The whole package is wrapped in an eye-catching aerodynamic fairing. To a V-twin lover, the Suzuki TL1000R is the ultimate in V-twin performance.

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... L1000R.htm

Totalmotorcycle.com Specification:
Totalmotorcycle.com Suggested Retail: $ 9,599
Engine Type: Four-stroke, 90-degree V-Twin, liquid cooled, DOHC
Bore and Stroke: 98.0 mm x 66.0 mm
Front Brake: Dual Hydraulic Disc
Rear Brake: Single Hydraulic Disc
Wheelbase: 1,405 mm (55.3 in)
Dry Weight: 197 kg (434 lbs.)
Overall Length: 2,100 mm (82.6 in)
Overall Width: 740 mm (29.1 in)
Overall Height: 1,120 mm (44.0 in)
Seat Height: 825 mm (32.5 in)
Wheelbase: 1,405 mm (55.3 in)
Ground Clearance: 120 mm (4.7 in)
Dry Weight: 197 kg (434 lbs)
Engine type: Water-cooled 996 cc 4-stroke 90° V-twin, DOHC, TSCC, 8 valves. 135 hp (99.3 kW)/ 9,500 rpm, 106 Nm/ 7,500 rpm.

*Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) shown do not include freight/ destination or other dealer charges.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R - Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, since you all liked your hooligan bikes so much (Duke 690 from last week), lets try a real full on one that got itself banned: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

A blast from the past...

Enjoy!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Why was it banned? Too fast?

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

It was actually the TL1000S that got all of the bad press for "killing" people. This was mostly spawned from the British Press who were over the top sensationalistic at the time. The TL-S had a unique rotary rear shock and the press tried to make something out of it saying that the shock was the reason for the spitting riders off. Thus the TL1000R was born a short time later with a conventional shock and a bunch more weight.

It reality there was absolutely nothing wrong with the TL-S. It was a much more hairy beast than any other bike to come along at the time and really was an epic fun motorcycle to ride. The TL-R in reality was a heavier dumbed down version (although still a great bike), built to appease the bullshit spawned from the press.

The whole thing was not unlike the "unexplained acceleration phenomena" that Toyota experienced a few years ago. Again, completely bogus!

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

No vote yet, but, how did "bullshit" get through the Nanny?

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

It gets grand daddy status as one of the beginning MONSTER TWINS and it gave us the SV :D
there aint nothin like it

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#7 Unread post by High_Side »

JackoftheGreen wrote:No vote yet, but, how did "bullshit" get through the Nanny?
Wow - I usually just count on it to filter me when I am on a good rant. Maybe in every 578 swear words one gets through????

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Cool (I'd even own one)

"Where have all the V-Twin sport bikes gone", well, that I can't answer, but here is a supurb example of taking a V-Twin, putting it into a sport bike by a mass manufacturer and making it so successful that it failed. As High_Side pointed out, it really wasn't the bike's fault, you just had to be a really good rider to not crash it. Suzuki offered proof that they could make a V-Twin compete with anyone, on the road or on the track. It would be a close race with a Ducati in it's day (I'd put my money on the TL though), and it was just 1/2 the price of the Ducati too!

Mike

Shriker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 37
My Motorcycle: '13 VMax,'98 VTR1000F, '87 XT350

Re: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R - Coolness Factor = 66.7%

#9 Unread post by Shriker »

Man I loved the TL-R .....it was too bad it didnt really develop in their superbike program. I personally liked the looks and they were fast and handled pretty well . Stoutly built. The RC51 was better but still.....pretty darn nice bike. Tough finding one today that is in good shape .....they are pricey if you do.