Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: This Week: 2013 Kymco Xciting 500Ri ABS - Vote Today

#11 Unread post by Hanson »

This gets an awesome as a scooter, an uncool as a motorcycle.
ImageImage

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#12 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Wow, did that say 6.7 ft/lbs of torque?

So look, I know that in other countries scooters are considered fun, hip, trendy and urban. But hey, in some countries they eat oatmeal three meals a day and consider that acceptable too. I'm an American (though not a 'MERIKAN!) and 'the scooter' is never gonna be anything but goofy to me. Scooters are like bendy straws -- it's IMPOSSIBLE to look cool while using one.

Now on the other hand, I'm liberal and proud of it, and any autoppliance than can conceivably help alleviate traffic congestion, urban sprawl and carbon emissions deserves some consideration. Now if only Kymco had seen fit to provide some fuel economy numbers with their press copy, I could have waved my green flag and given this at least an UnCool, though important. As it is,

FAIL.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#13 Unread post by Gummiente »

Wow. Lots of scooter hate here, I'm surprised and a bit disappointed. I wave to all two wheelers and ride with a few people that own scooters, so I guess I must be from a different mindset.

BTW, the Xciting 500i gets 5.8l/100km (40mpg US) and has a range of 225km (140mi).
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I like scooters, but I want one for commuting. I want a scooter that gets better mileage than my motorcycle.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Kind of went out on a limb here by voting AWESOME. But seriously, this is a 500cc full sized scooter that looks way cooler than any that have been built before. If you're in the market for a full size scooter I'd say this is a good choice!

Why so many fails? Just because it's a scooter? That seems so harsh...
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with: Cool.

For $7k and you get yourself a 500cc scooter with 38hp. That isn't half bad, but I would like for it to get more than 40mpg and have a range of just 140miles. I guess that speaks to the engine being not that great, in fact, I can't say the quality of the Kymco scooter line (its fit and build quality) has really been that impressive to me, but for $7 it's to be expected. I do like the 500Ri's styling as looks like they borrowed a few queues from the sportbike bin too. Well, ok, for $7 maybe it's not that super as there are other big scooter choices from other manufacturers I'd make before buying the Xciting 500Ri, but I'm sure (off the top of my head) it's one of the cheapest 500cc's out there that isn't Chinese made.

Overall, scootering is a great hobby, it's cheap, inexpensive and like a motorcycle can be great fun. Just not so sure after writing the above if the Xciting really is all that Xciting, but it's good to see big scoots being offered.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Kymco Xciting 500Ri ABS - Coolness Factor = 39.4%
Featured: January 17th, 2014 - January 24th, 2014
Most popular vote category: Fail

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=48763
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Ri-ABS.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Kymco Xciting 500Ri ABS is:

Awesome (3 points) 15% [ 5 ]
Cool (2 points) 24% [ 8 ]
Uncool (1 point) 24% [ 8 ]
Fail (0 point) 36% [ 12 ]

Total votes : 33

= a Coolwall Factor of 39.4%

NOTES: 39% Cool? OUCH! Our first Kymco scooter up on the Cool Wall and out first FAIL of 2014. Could it have been the almost 500lbs it weights? or the low hp for a 500cc? Build quality, Or crazy as it seems, the $7k price. Or just the fact it is a scooter? But on the bright side of the coin people thought it was very practical and offered a great choice over owning a motorcycle. Overall, quite a interesting vote!

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: 2013 Kymco Xciting 500Ri ABS - Coolness Factor = 39.4%

#18 Unread post by jstark47 »

Missed the voting on this bike, but wanted to chime in anyway. Echoing Gummi, lots of scooter hate here. Wonder why? It would be hypocritical for me to join the haters; I started on a Honda Reflex (250cc scooter). It was a perfect town-errand bike, and if we had more space around here, we'd still have it.

500 cc (and almost 500 lbs) is, to my mind, pushing the upper limits of what scootering is about. (Yes, I know Kymco also makes a 700cc model). Measured against the competition (400cc bikes from Yamaha and Suzuki) it stacks up well. More power than the Yammie, and MUCH cheaper than the Zuke. I'm not sure I'd own a scooter as my only bike, but they make great second bikes, very practical. Cool.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#19 Unread post by Gummiente »

jstark47 wrote:(Yes, I know Kymco also makes a 700cc model).
They also make the motor for the new BMW scooter, too. Wonder what the results would look like if we put that one up on the Cool Wall for a vote? :)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#20 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I'd think the same, I really don't have a reason to dislike scooters I just do,maybe the little tires maybe the way you climb in it IDK they just don't do it for me. I wouldn't be down on a fella or lady for gettin one I just couldn't do it myself. And I think there is a lot of that sentiment out there. I don't think brand name would matter but it is an interesting idea!
there aint nothin like it