Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2014 Honda NM4 Vultus - Coolness Factor = 44.4%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Honda NM4 Vultus on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Vultus.htm

2014 Honda NM4 Vultus

Japanimation on two-wheels...

A ground-breaking machine inspired by the desire to establish a unique riding experience and an identity not bound by standard motorcycle design, with strong echoes of futuristic bikes seen in Japanese movies. Created by a young design team who remained true to their original concept at every stage through to production, the NM4 Vultus brings radical style to the streets, with function from the future for a new breed of rider.

Honda announces the new NM4 Vultus, a ground-breaking machine inspired by futuristic machines seen in the anime and manga television and film styles, known collectively as “Japanimation”.

Created by a young design team who remained true to their original concept at every stage through to production, the NM4 Vultus brings radical style to the streets, with function from the future for a new breed of rider. The NM4 represents a machine capable of crossing traditional two-wheeled lines and reaching out to a wider audience.

Vultus is Latin for appearance, expression – or face. The NM4 Vultus, with its LED lights, future-shock style and stealth bomber silhouette presents a look that will not have been seen in any cityscape this side of an anime movie…

Underneath the brooding menace is a rock-solid chassis and engine package. Packed with low-friction technology, its 745cc twin-cylinder engine is canted forward, creating space and a low centre of gravity. Delivering strong low and mid-range power and torque for smooth acceleration coupled with excellent fuel economy, it’s also equipped as standard with Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), giving the rider options between automatic twist-and-go D and S mode – plus trigger-operated computer game-style manual MT mode. Intuitive and easy to use, it adds to the futuristic appeal of the NM4 Vultus and is the perfect complement to the engine’s gutsy, usable performance.

2014 Honda NM4 Vultus - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com UK/European Specifications/Technical Details
European MSRP Price: See Dealer for Pricing in GBP

ENGINE (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com)
Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve, SOHC parallel 2-cylinder
Displacement 745cc
Bore ´ Stroke 77mm x 80mm
Compression Ratio 10.7 : 1
Max. Power Output 40.3kW @ 6,250rpm (95/1/EC)
Max. Torque 68Nm @ 4,750rpm (95/1/EC)
Oil Capacity 3.9 litres

FUEL SYSTEM
Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Fuel Tank Capacity 11.6 litres
Fuel Consumption 28.4km/l (WMTC mode-Tested in D-Mode) (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com)

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Starter Electric
Battery Capacity 12V/11.2AH
ACG Output 450W/5000rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Clutch Type Wet multiplate hydraulic 2-clutch
Transmission Type 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission
Final Drive Chain

FRAME (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com)
Type Diamond; steel pipe

CHASSIS
Dimensions (L´W´H) 2380mm x 933mm x 1170mm
Wheelbase 1645mm
Caster Angle 33°
Trail 110mm
Seat Height 650mm
Ground Clearance 130mm
Kerb Weight 245kg

SUSPENSION
Type Front 43mm telescopic fork, 125mm stroke
Type Rear Monoshock damper, Pro-Link swingarm, 100mm travel (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com)

WHEELS
Type Front Multi-spoke cast aluminium
Type Rear Multi-spoke cast aluminium
Rim Size Front 18M/C x MT3.50
Rim Size Rear 17M/C x MT6.25
Tyre front 120/70 ZR18
Tyre rear 200/50 ZR17

BRAKES
ABS System Type 2 channel ABS
Type Front 320mm single wavy hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper and sintered metal pads
Type Rear 240mm single wavy hydraulic disc with single-piston caliper and resin mold pads
INSTRUMENTS & ELECTRICS
Instruments Digital speedometer, (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com) igital bar-type tachometer, clock, bar-type fuel meter, two trip meters, gear position indicator, outside air temperature gauge and coolant temperature warning light.

Security System HISS
Headlight LED
Taillight LED

For A LOT MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Vultus.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

Re: This Week: 2014 Honda NM4 Vultus - Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Not just BRAND NEW, but JUST RELEASED TODAY.

Enjoy voting on this very interesting bike... oh, not sure if it will be available in the USA/Canada as of yet as it was just announced.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I can already predict... this bike is going to fail. The question is, will anyone read the specs and post arguments or discussions?

This to me looks like a DN-01 repeat, and with their marketing shots highlighting the ability to turn the dash "pink"... are they attempting to re-market this failure from years gone by???

Hmmm... :humm:
Andrea :sun:

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

WTF is it?
there aint nothin like it

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

To start off, I'll hand it to Honda for at least trying to do something different.

I do appreciate that this bike kinda alludes to a lot of the bikes we saw and loved in Akira, Robotech, Battle of the Planets, etc.

That said, I think most of us buy and enjoy motorcycles because they go, stop, and turn reasonably well. That much weight combined with that little power doesn't sound like a recipe for fun.

If you're gonna design a bike that looks as aggressive and as weird as this one, why not have the performance to back it up?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#6 Unread post by montanalifter »

I have to agree with grey thumper that this bike might actually go over quite well if It had a lot of power.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

I don't have to talk about its looks: since it only has the automatic version of the DCT transmission, it's an automatic uncool in my book.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

jstark47 wrote:I don't have to talk about its looks: since it only has the automatic version of the DCT transmission, it's an automatic uncool in my book.
I suspect it's really designed for the Japanese market, and for people who aren't actually motorcycle enthusiasts. People who grew up on Japanese anime (therefore would actually like the look of this bike), and don't care about riding pleasure (so performance and the uninvolving tranny wouldn't matter to them).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#9 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

So, some quick conversions...

245kg = ~540lbs
40.3kW = ~55bph
68NnW = ~50ft/lbs

Oh, and 28km/l comes out to roughly 68mpg.

Also for comparison, this Honda has a 4.33" trail and a 33 degree rake.

My 2001 Vulcan 800 weighs between 496 and 540 pounds depending on which spec sheet you're reading (TMW's sheet reads 496, KBB says 518, Bikez says 540). My Vulcan also puts out 55bph, somewhere between 42 and 48 ft/lbs (again depending on which spec sheet you're reading), has a 34 degree rake and a 5.9" trail.

So on paper, this Honda is roughly comparable to my Vulcan in most aspects. Except, it gets almost DOUBLE the fuel mileage. In my book, that means it corners, accelerates and brakes reasonably well. In short, this Vultus is NOT a sport bike, it's an aggressively styled cruiser.

How aggressive? REALLY aggressive. I think this this is AWESOME, it should come with a katana owned by your great great great grandfather, an old scrimshaw dolphin possessed by a vengeful ghost, and the email address of a gifted but socially awkward computer genius/hacker named Keiko. If I'm a geek for thinking so, fine. Just remember my vengeful ghost buddy.

So yeah - pay attention to the specs and rate this according to what it is, a midsized cruiser with the sort of bulletproof underpinnings we can expect from Big Red.

Or, maybe, only the Italians are allowed to make edgy bikes? Just sayin'...

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#10 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Wow I couldn't care if it did tricks.I wouldn't even let people I don't like ride that thing you know the old saying... Build a thousand bridges no remembers your name suck ahh never mind you guys get the idea :lol:
there aint nothin like it