Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2014 Ural Gear Up - Coolness Factor = 73.9%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2014 Ural Gear Up on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ear-Up.htm

Tough as a Russian AK-47...

The 2WD 2014 Ural Gear-Up's origins trace back to the military past of the Ural motorcycle family. The 2014 Ural Gear-Up combination is as tough as a Russian AK-47!

Ural 2014 – Rethink What You Thought You Knew About Ural

Ural motorcycles gained popularity and a loyal following among motorcycle enthusiasts around the world. Ural riders appreciate the bikes’ on- and off-road capabilities, ease of maintenance and certainly love the bikes’ classic appearance and feel. Our company is known for listening closely to customer feedback, and as such Ural has implemented a large number of changes and upgrades over the years.

We at Ural felt that the concept of a complete factory produced sidecar motorcycle has even bigger potential than what our previous models were able to deliver. So we began working on this project two years ago. The idea was to introduce a number of more advanced technical and functional features, while still maintaining Ural’s classic look, ruggedness and unpretentious character.

The four main areas we focused on were:
•Engine performance
•Handling
•Braking
•Overall fit and finish

2014 Ural Gear Up - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com International Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $15,999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $15,999 CDN
UK/European MSRP Price: £ See dealer for pricing in GBP / EUR (On The Road).

Engine and transmission http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Displacement, cc: 749
Engine type: OHV air cooled 2 cylinder 4 stroke “boxer” (flat twin)
Valve per cylinder: 2
Bore and stroke (mm x mm): 78 x 78
Max output (hp): 41 @ 5500 rpm
Max torque (ft-lbs): 42 @ 4300 rpm
Compression: 8.6:1
Fuel system: Throttle body EFI
Starting: Electric & Kickstart
Clutch Double-disc dry
Transmission type: Manual
Speeds: 4 forward 1 reverse
Primary drive (rear wheel): Driveshaft
Final drive ratio: 4.62
Engagable sidecar wheel drive: Yes, driveshaft

Physical measures http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Overall length, inch.: 98.8
Overall heights, inch.: 54.3
Overall width, inch.: 63.6
Seat height, (unladen), inch.: 32.0
Ground clearance (unladen),inch.: 6.8
Dry weight, lbs: 730

Chassis http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Front suspension: IMZ leading link fork
Rear suspension: Double sided swing-arm with two Sachs hydraulic spring shock absorbers, 5x adjustable
Sidecar suspension: Single sided swing-arm with Sachs hydraulic spring shock absorber, 5x adjustable
Wheels: 2.5X19 Aluminum rims with steel spokes
Tires: Duro HF-308, 4.0×19?
Front brake: 4-piston fixed Brembo caliper with 295mm floating NG rotor
Rear brake: HB big bore single piston integrated floating caliper with 256mm fixed NG rotor
Sidecar brake: 2-piston fixed Brembo caliper with 245mm floating NG rotor

Other http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Fuel grade: 91 Octane, unleaded
Fuel tank capacity, gallons: 5.0
Reserve, gallons: app. 1
Estimated fuel economy, mpg: 31-37
Estimated range, miles: 155-185
Recommended max cruising speed, mph: 70
Max permissible weight, lbs:1325
Trunk volume, cubic ft.: 2.9

Electrical

Alternator: Denso, 55 Amp, 770 Wt
Battery: FAYTX20HL (12V, 20A)
Headlight: H6024 (65/35)
Spark plugs: NGK BPR7HS

Warranty

2-years parts and labor unlimited millage. http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

For MORE photos and information click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ear-Up.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2014 Ural Gear Up - Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

As Monty Python would say...

"and now for something completely different"

New for 2014 the revised URAL, now with better brakes, FUEL INJECTION and a little bit more...

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I'd love to have one. My garage is too small for anything else though.

Chabu
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800

#4 Unread post by Chabu »

Over-priced Russian junk. Totally unreliable and with a laughable warranty. Other than that they're OK. :P

Take a look at the thread on ADVRider about why should not buy a Ural - it's quite an entertaining thread.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yaknow, if I owned 40 acres of rough, mountain scrub somewhere in the badlands of Southern Utah with a little summer cabin at the top of a highly technical, rocky trail winding up a dried-out riverbed...

Then I'd own a couple KTM dirt bikes and a Jeep with trailer to haul them around with.

Now, if I owned a WWII Museum, then...

FAIL.

Chabu, any chance you could toss up a link to that Ural thread on ADVRider? I tried searching their forums for it and, well, that didn't go great.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

A little pricey these days, but that's the cost of the various component upgrades. Lots and lots of BS on that thread in AdvRider.

AWESOME.

A rebuttal to the garbage in the ADV thread: http://mmcmusings.com/2013/01/26/its-no ... ir-owners/
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote:A little pricey these days, but that's the cost of the various component upgrades. Lots and lots of BS on that thread in AdvRider.

AWESOME.

A rebuttal to the garbage in the ADV thread: http://mmcmusings.com/2013/01/26/its-no ... ir-owners/
That's a good article.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I've always thought Urals looked awesome. And a hack with 2WD and reverse gear means you can go to some pretty extreme places, which adds to the awesomeness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgV-zFQDrbI

It would be great if some actual owners (like Gummiente) could chime in with their experiences on whether these bikes are reliable or not.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#9 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I am gonna go with cool I really like Urals look, I can't go awesome because $15K + is a lot of money for a machine but cool will get it done.
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

It's funny, because none of it's parts are in the least, "awesome", but the total sum of them make an awesomely (interesting) motorcycle. I happen to had the chance to ride this exact model about 3 months ago here in Houston and it was pretty darn cool. If you are curious about reading the Total Motorcycle review of this bike, (read below). viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48965

Good to see a lot of riders like them enough to vote cool or awesome. Would I own one? hmmm, not as a primary bike, UNLESS I had a real good use for the sidecar... the price isn't bad, I liked the price more when it was $9,999 for the Ural T though, but I'm happy with the new upgrades, they were a nice addition.

Mike

Riding the new 2014 URAL Gear-up 2WD

I had an opportunity this weekend to go out to the 2014 URAL Factory Demo Tour here in Houston, Texas and ride me a Ural! :cowboy:

The event was hosted by URAL Russia and Golf Coast Motorcycle (formally, Golf Coast BMW) and both of these sponsors put on a lavish Russian event complete with authentic Russian foods, sweets, drinks and, yes, even Russian motorcycles!

There were around 7 URAL motorcycles with sidecars there, 3 where official demo bikes (a 2014 URAL Gear-up, 2014 Tourist and 2014 Patrol) along with 4 other URAL's own privately. Around 60 people were there coming and going and URAL was giving out free stickers, pens and other swag as well; so over all, it was a popular event.

For 2014, URAL improved their entire line up by adding 3 important things:

1. Fuel Injection
2. A Hydraulic Steering Damper
3. Three Wheel Disc Brakes

While these seem quite standard on many bikes today, it's a big step for URAL as all URAL's are hand built using time honored traditions and characteristics (which is a nice way of saying, they are built very-old school).

I was #17, my wife Andrea #18 and a friend (another Mike, which unfortunately ran out of time to ride) was #19 to ride. (I'm sure Andrea will post a little review of her own as well; so I'll concentrate on my experience below).

The URAL's are surprisingly rugged in construction. You might have seen videos of URAL's going full speed over rivers, across the desert or even through a mountain of mud with a .50 Machine Gun strapped on it... well, let me tell you, that's not CGI but a fact.

As I never rode a sidecar hack before my demo ride consisted of a 25 min training on and off-road with the URAL getting to know it and how it handled with the sidecar some muddy off-roading and then around the neighborhood streets.

A LITTLE ABOUT RIDING A HACK

I was quite fortunate, my instructor, David (from IMZ-URAL) was, honestly, one of those really gifted instructors who took the time to demonstrate and explain while being able to listen to and watch you. So learning the URAL hack was as simple as turning the key (then depressing the kill switch, then pulling the clutch in, then making sure it really was in Neutral, then using your right hand to pull back the parking brake, then pulling the reverse gear, then putting it in 1st, then going in reverse....) :laughing:

Actually, it wasn't too hard to ride, and here are some of the tips he gave me (that I could remember)

1. Braking is about 50/50 front/rear
2. Don't engine brake too much
3. Don't WOT or slam the throttle shut too much
4. Your lean angle is around 20° when making a right turn before it flips over on you
5. The gears are straight cut gears so try and try again if it didn't go in the 1st time
6. Don't take right turns too sharp or the side car wheel goes up (5-10mph max with no ballast or passenger in it)
7. Riding a URAL is "hard work" but very rewarding
8. Rear shimmy is expected on braking and accelerating.
9. The 3 axles are in different order so you'll feel "3 bumps" going over 1 bump.
10. Left turns are like power slides if you go fast enough
11. There is an additional 4 feet of "motorcycle" to your right.
12. Counter-steering doesn't work* (*unless you your lean angle on a right turn is between 2-18°)

Riding the URAL is a very unique experience and one I cannot attribute to another vehicle I've rode on before. It's quite agricultural but yet you are more in-touch with the machine and it's characteristics. You feel more like you are a part of it's mechanics and more in-tune with what it is doing than a typical bike you sit on a go. A URAL demands your attention and concentration (which I assume does get much easier as you go but never fully goes away David said) and riding it is a very rewarding experience, especially since you can bring another 2 others to enjoy the ride!

It's shutters, it shakes and it shimmies but it will produce many smiles per mile.

A fast tractor. Yes, that's what I'll call it, a fast tractor or at least that is what it feels like. Starting off on the URAL you can feel the tractor like torque pull you without even using the throttle. Effortless torque, right there at idle. In fact, the bike will accelerate on it's own torque if you let it.

Using the throttle, the big bike shakes and shutters a little while the rear end shimmies side-to-side as you accelerate, it's quite a unique experience, nothing unsettling but very different. Picking up speed now you can't feel the weight of the bike and sidecar or it's bulk, it just happily start to move along, in fact, it's happy just to go and don't demand anything from you (like go faster, pull a wheelie or push that corner), it's just completely content. The engine isn't smooth, the bike isn't smooth, the whole thing feels very "agricultural" but that's ok, think of it as a tank on 3 wheels and nothing, I repeat, nothing (bigger than a small car) will stand between you and your destination. In fact, even rivers, mud, sand, foot deep pot holes, snow, ice or a hurricane will even slow you down. It's a pretty amazing rig. One of the interesting things is you don't need to put your foot down at stops and there isn't a side stand either.

Agricultural is definitely a key word here, but agricultural in a good way.

Shifting into 2nd and picking up speed you get all those shutters, shakes and shimmies and it's beginning to feel a little more "normal" as you get used to them, the tractor-like torque is like a giant wave, one that you are always riding the crest of off idle but well aware of it below you. After doing figure 8's, up/down shifting, turns, stops and more you are getting up your nerve and try using wide open throttle (WOT). Using full throttle producing some interesting results... yes, the bike goes faster... but it's like you just put warp drive on to a WWII battleship! Now I know what mixing WWII technology with Star Trek results in. I can hear Scotty in the engine room: Kirk: "Full power Scotty!"; Scotty: "But she cannot handle it Captain, she's gonna blow"

Like you just put warp drive on to a WWII battleship

So you shift into 3rd gear now and the bike is humming tank-fully along, mindless of anything in it's path, again, quite the experience and just like on a normal bike, the faster you go the more attention you have to be paying but on a URAL it's... encompassing. On a URAL it's fun but (as I would imagine) a bit like running a steam train, sensations are everywhere and the mix of excitement, mud, water, road, oil and gas are everywhere. Oh, I didn't mention we are now off-road with the instructor in the sidecar, riding it like a bucking bronco. I look over at him bounding around as we hit the many mud holes, a smile in my face as I go give it more gas and yell "You are inspiring me to be a sidecar racer!". :laughing:

Returning back to the dealership is fun and then, sadly, it's all over. I did get a chance to ride in the sidecar, which I definitely, highly, recommend if you haven't done that before. Seeing a rider and motorcycle in motion right beside it is a thing of beauty and something everyone can appreciate. Looking around at just 12" above the pavement with a 360° view is another reason. Oh, and I have to say, it's cool to ride in the sidecar, it's one of the coolest things about buying a hack is the option to have others experience doing it.

So well done and a BIG thank you to URAL and Golf Coast Motorcycles for a few great hours in the Russian sun, drinking, laughing and having a good ol' time while doing something unique and new.

Note that the URAL isn't for everyone; it's a fringe bike afterall and a very different riding experience. But like it's owners, it has character to spare, it's unique and will always put a smile on your face. Try one and get a taste of Russia.

Приветствия УРАЛ!