Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: This Week: 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 - Vote Today

#11 Unread post by Hanson »

Jack,

That is 68 mpg imperial which converts to about 57 mpg US, and that is a raw number without any information about test conditions. It is still a good number, but a bit harder to call it stunning. The good news is that the 3.1 imperial gallon tank will hold 3.7 us gallons. I also noticed the small tank but I don't think I would use this type of bike for long trips, at least not out of preference. Even then, the bike will likely have a functional range of about 150 miles while maintaining a bit of a reserve. This is the same sized tank as the FZ-09 triple, but with significantly better fuel economy.

It is my understanding that the FZ-09 has been selling very well, at least that is what a local dealer was telling me, and I think the FZ-07 will appeal to a similar buyer but in a more economical package. If there is room for only one bike in the garage, this would not be my bike, but it does look like fun. Between the two, I think I would rather have the FZ-09.

I agree that this is not a great choice for a new rider.

I also gave it a cool.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

CalinAlisa
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: CBR250R

#12 Unread post by CalinAlisa »

Rode it under pouring rain. The wind was 35 km/h, with burst up to 50 km/h. The Yamaha representative almost cancelled the demo ride. Good thing the dealer vouched for my skills and was himself very eager to try the FZ-09.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to modulate the throttle and the clutch. The engine, in spite of its displacement, didn't seem any more intimidating in the parking lot than my late CBR250's, but - as expected - ran like a dream on the highway. I could almost fault it with a lack of character (a way things have of doing your exact bidding without showing a will of their own). The ER-6N's, for comparison, has a more pronounced grain of folly. At one point, at around 90-100 km/h, the computer was displaying a fuel economy of 3L/100km. Should that information be accurate, fuel misers can safely trade in their 125s and 250s for the FZ-07!

The main thing I have to say in its favor is, however, this: thanks to the lack of fairing, and in spite of weighing in at just 180 kg, the FZ-07 remains very stable and composed under crosswinds.

I might also choose this bike for its soft(ish) - but quite competent - suspension. Due to a neck injury, I am very sensitive to this aspect and am also considering the less glamorous Versys 650 (150 mm front, 145 mm rear), but for the average healthy commuter this is THE BIKE! The budget-minded ones will certainly appreciate the generous service intervals.

Kudos to Yamaha for setting new high standards for the category at such an affordable price!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted Cool.

It's hard to fault a great bike like the FZ-07, it has all the ingredients to make it a really great standard, it's inexpensive, offers good power, good looks, and even an attractive design. I got to sit on one at the dealership yesterday and its indeed smaller than I'd like it to be but even I could still ride it. I guess it's a 2nd bike Yamaha is aiming at as I don't think it would be a very good 1st bike nor offer enough performance to get a rider from a 2nd bike (say the Ninja 650R) to then buy a FZ-07, but as a commuter, it's a great choice... much more of a city bike though than a touring bike, not that you couldn't travel on the FZ07, just that it really doesn't appear to be it's foray. So cool it is, while if it was a more standard bike (do-it-all) at 750cc inline-4 I'd have given it an awesome.

Hopefully that parallel twin offers some character as well, if so, that could indeed change my vote to awesome.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 Yamaha FZ-07 - Coolness Factor = 78.5%
Featured: July 4th, 2014 - July 11th, 2014
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=49599
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-FZ07.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 is:

Awesome (3 points) 11 [ 1 ]
Cool (2 points) 20
Uncool (1 point) 0
Fail (0 point) 0

= a Coolwall Factor of 78.5%

NOTES: Go Yamaha and make a bike we can't say no to at a price we all can afford. :revv:

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.