Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: This Week: 2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Vote Today

#21 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
zombiekatzu wrote:Gotta agree with the rest. Government licensing as a motorcycle doesn't make it one. I mean, would you give 'the wave' to one of these as it passed?
You bring up a lot of interesting points of discussion...

Would you (you being 3rd party) wave at:

1. Scooters?

2. Can-Am Spyders?

3. Trikes? (like the Harley-Davidson Tri-Glide)

4. Motorcycles with sidecars?

Just lumping them into the area of "might or might not" ... Could be quite interesting here.

Mike
I've waved at all of the above. I wouldn't wave at a Slingshot because I'd consider it a car (albeit a pretty cool looking car). No one in their right mind would look at it and categorise it as a motorcycle.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Shriker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 37
My Motorcycle: '13 VMax,'98 VTR1000F, '87 XT350

#22 Unread post by Shriker »

Well , a lot of good points.

Is it a motorcycle? NO But as pointed out , how exactly DO you classify a motorcycle? Is a Spyder one? I dont think it has to do with how many wheels it has as much as it has to do with how its ridden and set up. On motorcycles , you sit ON them for the most part and you operate throttle with your hand .

Is it a car? Probably the closest category. You sit IN it and operate it like most modern cars . It behaves dynamically like cars do even though it has only ONE rear wheel.

Many here REALLY dont seem to get it.....but to each his/her own. Morgan is expensive and really different in layout size etc.....and this thing will most likely dust one severely not to mention being much more modern in its layout and construction (dont get me wrong , I like Morgans but they are different). Is it USEFUL? AT least as much as most motorcycles are.....with storage safety and good mileage along with good handling, open air experience and good performance (should be reasonably quick given its power/weight ratio - about like a .

This thing looks seriously FUN. Its reasonably priced. The engine is stout and has a big aftermarket (its basically the "small block Chevy" of the inline 4 community) and can be substantially enhanced .....its also reliable and easy to get parts for (GM product).

Its like a MUCH more affordable Ariel Atom or KTM Xbow.......GREAT for someone wanting more safety than a motorcycle or is unable to ride and wants an open air experience that is similar in many ways.

As a motorcycle , I guess a FAIL given its NOT ONE. As a vehicle , AWESOME for what it is and the fact that its not crazy unaffordable. Well done

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#23 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

For me, I think it's quite cool, very affordable way to get a "naked car", and hp/weight ratio is really, really good. I bet you'd have to spend another $45k to get hp/weight ratio near it. I'd definitely would like to take one for a spin... would it be as fun as a bike? I wouldn't suspect so, but it should be more fun than a convertible car.

Things I don't like The 1 rear tire... are they trying to make it a motorcycle or a limited-traction (acceleration) vehicle? How you require a motorcycle license to drive one...

I do consider it equal to a Can-Am Spyder though, they share too many things in common not to be IMO. But it's so "Car" looking at the front of it I don't think I'd clue-in to wave at them right away.

Could 3-wheels be the future of motorcycles as the population gets older?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#24 Unread post by sunshine229 »

This is a go kart like motorcycle and I would love to go for a rip! It might even be more fun than a motorcycle... don't shoot me for saying that! AWESOME!!! :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#25 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Coolness Factor = 45.3%
Featured: August 1st, 2014 - August 8th, 2014
Most popular vote category: Fail

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=49769
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... hot-SL.htm

Coolness Factor of the 2015 Polaris Slingshot SL is:

Awesome (3 points) 26% [ 13 ]
Cool (2 points) 26% [ 13 ]
Uncool (1 point) 6% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 42% [ 21 ]

Total votes : 50

= a Coolwall Factor of 62.2%

NOTES: Wow, what an interesting finish, I didn't expect a fail, but then again, it's a quite controversial vehicle and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, we most likely all agree that innovation is a good thing. I'm sure we will see some Slingshots on the street especially at this price point and in time, we may come to accept a 3-wheeled vehicle as a (fill in the blank).

Ironically I call the very divided voting numbers (which we have here) the "slingshot Effect" where you have numbers on both sides of the fence. Just happens the vehicle is a Slingshot...

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.