totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic - Vote Now

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

1970 Ducati 350 Scrambler...so I guess indeed it's pretty close to the original then.

NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I finally decided to go: Cool (a very cool), but I reserve the right to change it to awesome/uncool based on when the price is released.

It's really nice to see Ducati again manufacturer true naked bikes. I remember the Ducati Monster was a naked bike, then Ducati started to make them more and more complex, adding more to them till they are not so naked today (if you know what I mean). The Ducati Scrambler returns Ducati back to it's roots and to simplicity, which in my books, is very attractive. Personally I don't want a bike with the function and features of a Samsung Galaxy 6s, I just want to ride and have the bike focus on that pure aspect.

The one designy thing about the new Scrambler I that really bothers me (and I'd change right away) would be the single instrument gauge off-set to the right. It's unfortunately partially covered up by the handlebars and looks really out of place (to me). I'd be paying to have it relocated to a more middle position and add a 2nd (tach) if possible.

But overall, I really do hope the new Ducati Scrambler is the lowest priced in the Ducati line up so they sell.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#13 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:The one designy thing about the new Scrambler I that really bothers me (and I'd change right away) would be the single instrument gauge off-set to the right. It's unfortunately partially covered up by the handlebars and looks really out of place (to me). I'd be paying to have it relocated to a more middle position and add a 2nd (tach) if possible.

I totally agree. With the Scrambler's retro appeal, I was hoping they'd have analog clocks. I guess a one-piece LED unit without moving parts is cheaper to manufacture? Even then, I wish the unit was "flipped" 180 degrees; tach on the upper half, going the more conventional way round (left to right), then speed, and finally the more minor readouts (tempt, clock, etc.) on the bottom half of the gauge. And centered, of course.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:The one designy thing about the new Scrambler I that really bothers me (and I'd change right away) would be the single instrument gauge off-set to the right. It's unfortunately partially covered up by the handlebars and looks really out of place (to me). I'd be paying to have it relocated to a more middle position and add a 2nd (tach) if possible.

I totally agree. With the Scrambler's retro appeal, I was hoping they'd have analog clocks. I guess a one-piece LED unit without moving parts is cheaper to manufacture? Even then, I wish the unit was "flipped" 180 degrees; tach on the upper half, going the more conventional way round (left to right), then speed, and finally the more minor readouts (tempt, clock, etc.) on the bottom half of the gauge. And centered, of course.
Very nice image there. :)

Yes, it's definitely way too "techie" for a retro 70s style bike... It's really, really hard to improve upon the double analog/needle clock design for a retro or standard bike. I've seen so many of the techie tachs (lol, good word) that they become "tacky techie tachs".

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic - Coolness Factor = 76.7%
Featured: October 10th, 2014 - October 17th, 2014
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=50145
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... lassic.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic is:

Awesome (3 points) 44% [ 19 ]
Cool (2 points) 47% [ 20 ]
Uncool (1 point) 5% [ 2 ]
Fail (0 point) 5% [ 2 ]

Total votes : 43

= a Coolwall Factor of 76.7%

NOTES: I like the comment "Simple, basic, versatile, comfortable, looks like a lot of fun" Grey Thumper left but like many, I'd like to see less "tacky tech" and more retro style, especially in the gauge/clock area and with the muffler design. But overall, here is hoping for Ducati's true naked bike to be successful. A score of 76% is nothing to be ashamed at and I'm sure aftermarket goodies will fix this bike up nicely.

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!