Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure - Coolness Factor = 76.5%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... enture.htm

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure on http://www.totalmotorcycle.com

THE NEW BENCHMARK IN THE TRAVEL ENDURO SEGMENT...

The 1290 KTM Super Adventure sets a new benchmark in the travel enduro segment with a class-leading equipment specification that leaves other travel enduros playing catch-up. The Super Adventure’s uncompromisingly powerful KTM engine is matched by safety and electronics packages that are streets ahead of the competition, which means that sports riding meshes seamlessly with a versatile travel enduro style, making the Super Adventure the perfect ride for any journey.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

» Fully equipped

» Exceptionally comfortable

» Uncompromisingly powerful

» Unrivalled safety

» 100% KTM

SUPER EQUIPPED

» WP Semi-active Suspension

» C-ABS (Lean angle sensitive with MSC)

» MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control)

» TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)

» Multi-function cockpit

» Full set of modes (Ride-by-Wire, MTC, ABS, Damping)

» Cruise control

» 30 litre long range fuel tank

» LED cornering lights

» Daytime running light

» LED indicators

» Adjustable ergonomics

» Easy adjustable windshield height

» Heated grips

» Heated comfort seats

» Ultra-rugged offroad spoked wheels

» Immobiliser

» Aluminium handlebar, black coated and tapered

» Luggage rack and case carriers

» Servo fan

» Handguards

» Steel crash bars

» Side and centre stand

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: $ See dealer for pricing in USD

ENGINE
Design 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, spark-ignition engine, 75° V arrangement, liquid-cooled
Displacement 1,301 cm³
Bore 108 mm
Stroke 71 mm
Starting aid Electric starter
Performance 118 kW (160 hp)
Engine lubrication Forced oil lubrication with 3 rotor pumps
Primary gear ratio 40:76
Secondary gear ratio 17:42
Cooling system Liquid cooling system, continuous circulation of cooling liquid with water pump
Clutch PASC™ anti-hopping clutch/ hydraulically operated
Ignition system Contactless, controlled, fully electronic ignition system with digital ignition timing adjustment

CHASSIS
Frame Tubular space frame made from chrome molybdenum steel, powder-coated
Fork WP Semi-active Suspension USD Ø 48 mm
Shock absorber WP Semi-active Suspension PDS Monoshock
Suspension travel front 200 mm
Suspension travel rear 200 mm
Brake system front Twin-disc brake with radially mounted four-piston brake calipers
Brake system rear Single-disc brake with two-piston brake caliper; fixed brake disc
Brake discs - diameter front 320 mm
Brake discs - diameter rear 267 mm
Chain 5/8 x 5/16" X Ring
Steering head angle 64°
Wheel base 1,560±15 mm
Ground clearance (unloaded) 220 mm
Seat height (unloaded) 860/875 mm
Total fuel tank capacity approx. 30 l
Unleaded premium fuel (95 RON)
Weight without fuel approx. 229 kg
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ibanrfknm
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 50
My Motorcycle: FXDBI

Re: This Week: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure - Vote Now

#2 Unread post by ibanrfknm »

I've heard it described as ugly but I disagree and it's the absolute best at what it does.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I've never seen this in white. It looks awesome! Like something a Stormtrooper would ride. Much more "Dakary" than the standard Adventure, and it's looking closer to the 990, which is pretty much a modern classic.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#4 Unread post by Hanson »

When we look at adventure touring motorcycles, KTM offerings have generally been the most dirt oriented, compared with the various offerings from other manufacturers, such as BMW, Triumph and Yamaha.

This "Super" Adventure is a definite move toward the street end of the spectrum and competes more directly with the BMW GS/GSA variants. If "Adventure" is the dirt part of adventure riding, then this KTM is certainly less adventurous than the 1190 Adventure R, not exactly what you would expect from a "Super" Adventure, but then the large tank is in direct competition with the BMW R1200GS Adventure, both having the same 30 l. capacity.

More dirt worthy than the BMWs and more street compatible than past big KTM bikes, the Super Tenere is a lot less super in terms of horse power than the new KTM, or even the BMW, but for a great many riders the Super Tenere has been the best compromise between riding on the dirt and the street making it an awesome choice as a world travelling mule of a motorcycle.

What KTM has done is offer a bike to compete directly against more street oriented offerings in the adventure touring segment. When I look at this new KTM, I like the big tank and the plastic. I don't like the chain drive, the limited dealer network, or the price. It is more Super but perhaps a bit less Adventurous than a BMW R1200GS Adventure, it is defiantly less "Super Adventurous" than then KTM 1190 Adventure R but better on the street, and with an output of 160 hp it is obviously more super duper than the Super Tenere.

When I first saw this bike advertised, my heart went pitter patter, but the more I look at her the more she reminds me of a great looking, expensive, high maintenance, "female dog" of a girl friend I had when I was at university. She was a lot of fun to ride, but not that great to garage.
ImageImage

zigzag
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 2011 Harley-Davidson Fat-Bob

#5 Unread post by zigzag »

This thing is too big and heavy. Who want a 600lbs with 1290cc sport bike to do off road.
The KLR650 (and other in the same range) are everything you want. in dualsport motrocycle.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:I've never seen this in white. It looks awesome! Like something a Stormtrooper would ride. Much more "Dakary" than the standard Adventure, and it's looking closer to the 990, which is pretty much a modern classic.
I see what you mean, it's quite "Star Wars" like isn't it?

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

I like it. Cool. I tend to be partial to KTM's, never owned one, but they "click" for me.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Cool

160hp for a V-Twin? Sign me up! But as an adventure bike it is kinda odd, maybe a bit overpowered if you even take it on the dirt/gravel? I didn't give it a cool, even though I do like the looks, mostly due to the seat design and bit of "roadrunner bird head" design of the front. Not sure that seat would be comfortable being stepped like that, it sure doesn't give any slide back room at all.

Like the idea of the wire wheels, but are they there mostly for looks or purpose? Wire wheels (usually) are heavier than mag's and take more maintenance as well...

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure - Coolness Factor = 76.5%
Featured: January 30th, 2015 - February 6th, 2015
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=50745
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... enture.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure is:

Awesome (3 points) 47% [ 16 ]
Cool (2 points) 38% [ 13 ]
Uncool (1 point) 12% [ 4 ]
Fail (0 point) 3% [ 1 ]

Total votes: 34

= a Coolwall Factor of 76.5%

NOTES: An outstanding result for KTM's new adventure touring bike, the 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure. Lots of love from our readers, saying they like the "Star Wars" like design, a more street focused KTM and 160hp is awesome. But it wasn't all gravy as it's expected to be heavy and high in maintenance costs... Personally, I'd like to see lighter, less powerful versions, but overall, big, powerful adventure bikes look like they are not going anywhere soon.

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!