Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin - Coolness Factor = 78.8%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-Twin.htm

2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin on http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

GET READY FOR TRUE ADVENTURE...

It’s been a long wait. But—trust us—it’s worth it. The all-new Honda Africa Twin is the machine that will let you wander wherever your adventures take you. The 998cc parallel twin uses Honda’s exclusive four-valve Unicam® cylinder-head design for smooth, tractable power. Offered with either a six-speed manual gearbox or a new DCT transmission with selectable on- and off-road modes. The ultimate adventure comes this fall.

Colours

CRF Rally
Africa Twin (Standard)

Matte Black Metallic
Africa Twin (Standard)

Silver
Africa Twin (DCT)

2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

Honda is pleased to announce further technical details on the new CRF1000L Africa Twin, which will be in Honda showrooms across the United States in early 2016. Like its celebrated forerunners, the CRF1000L Africa Twin is thoroughly equipped for true adventure, with a potent engine and dynamic chassis ready to explore continents, on- or off-road.

From the start of the CRF1000L Africa Twin project there was one motorcycle that consistently impressed with its balance of usability, poise and handling, on the road and in the dirt—the seminal XRV750 Africa Twin. It proved a worthwhile benchmark, even when set against today's myriad choice of adventure motorcycles. The machine that now bears its name shares no common parts with the old model but it inherits the full the essence and spirit of what made the XRV750 Africa Twin so good.

The "true adventure" approach starts with the engine, which has to perform in off-road situations as well as on-road long-range touring and all points in between. The CRF1000L Africa Twin's 998cc parallel-twin power plant draws heavily on Honda's off-road race experience with the CRF250R/450R competition machines, and uses the same four-valve Unicam head design for compact overall dimensions. A lightweight cast camshaft—using the same materials as that on the CBR1000RR—operates the valve train, and twin spark plugs fire the fuel/air mixture in each combustion chamber.

Strong and linear power and torque deliver instant response anywhere in the rev-range—accompanied by a satisfying, characterful deep growl as rpm rises. A 270° phased crankshaft gives the power delivery a distinct character as well, delivering excellent feel for rear-wheel traction. Biaxial primary balance shafts cancel vibration.

The engine's short height contributes to the CRF1000L Africa Twin's excellent ground clearance—another prerequisite for a true adventure machine. It also uses clever packaging of componentry to both dynamic and aesthetic effect. The water pump is housed within the clutch casing, and the water and oil pumps are driven by a shared balancer shaft. Further reducing engine size is the lower crankcase design, which stores the oil and houses the pressure-fed pump.

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-Twin.htm

2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $TBA USD
Canada MSRP Price: $TBA USD

ENGINE
Engine Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve Parallel Twin with 270° crank and Unicam
Bore and Stroke 92mm x 75.1mm
Clutch Wet, multi-plate with coil springs, aluminum cam assist and slipper clutch
DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Constant mesh 6-speed manual / 6-speed DCT with on and off-road riding modes
Final Drive O-ring sealed chain
Torque Control System (HSTC) HSTC 3-levels + switch-off (*ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Frame Type Steel semi-double cradle type with high-tensile strength steel rear sub-frame
ABS System ABS 2-channel with rear ABS off switch (*ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
Front Brake 310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminum hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers and
sintered metal pads
Rear Brake 256mm wave hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type
Parking Brake System on DCT model
Front Tire 90/90-R21 tube type
Rear Tire 150/70-R18 tube type
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase 62.0 inches
Seat Height Standard position 34.3/Low position 33.5 inches
Curb Weight 503 lb. (STD), 511 lb.s (ABS), 534 lb. (DCT). Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full
tank of fuel—ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 4.96 gallons
OTHER
Model ID TBD
Emissions Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ
slightly due to emissions equipment.
Available Colors Dakar Rally, Digital Metallic Silver
FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
One Year Transferable, Unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a
Honda Protection Plan.

NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin - Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Awaited around the world for, the new 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin!

A true adventure or a horrible wrong turn? You decide.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I am confused by your title. :laughing:

blues2cruise

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I'd like to try one.

Question...Are all adventure/off road/ dual sport bikes chain driven?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

blues2cruise wrote:I am confused by your title. :laughing:
Sorry about that, I forgot to change it... DOH. :bag:

All fixed now. :kicking:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

blues2cruise wrote:I'd like to try one.

Off the top of my head, I can think of one that's belt driven (Buell Ulysses XB12X)... generally, chains are lighter and offer more reliability than a belt (dirt/debris can get between the belt and the sprockets). A shaft is great (BMW has the BMW R1200GS) but adds considerable weight which isn't great for off-roading. Personally, I'd want a shafty if I was going really off the beaten path for ultimate reliability and to not have to worry about finding a chain that fits if the existing chain gets an issue.

BELT DRIVE adventure/off road/ dual sport

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... sXB12X.htm

SHAFT DRIVE adventure/off road/ dual sport

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... enture.htm

blues2cruise

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

That Buell is a nice looking machine.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#8 Unread post by ceemes »

Didn't Honda try this before with the TransAlp? Where is my Meh option?
Always ask why.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I love the original late 80s-early 00s Africa Twins, so the fact that there's a new one after more than 15 years is awesome. The CRF1000L looks good (well, by adventure bike standards) and is styled much closer to its Dakar heritage than the BMW R1200GS and KTM 11/1290. Also seems lighter, simpler, and more off-road ready than the BMW and KTM. I hope the bike is as good as it seems.

Why the "horrible wrong turn" phrase? Any insider news or alarm bells the rest of us aren't aware of? There's DCT but it's optional anyway.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#10 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:I'd like to try one.

........ A shaft is great (BMW has the BMW R1200GS) but adds considerable weight which isn't great for off-roading. Personally, I'd want a shafty if I was going really off the beaten path for ultimate reliability and to not have to worry about finding a chain that fits if the existing chain gets an issue.
Other shaft driven adventure tourers include the Moto Guzzi Stelvio and the Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S