Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2016 Ducati 959 Panigale - Coolness Factor = 79.6%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Ducati 959 Panigale on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nigale.htm

From the road to the track...

In 2016, Ducati's 959 Panigale is to become a larger capacity, even more versatile "Supermid" model. The Ducati 959 Panigale shares the same innovative stylistic features that characterise its 'bigger brother', the 1299 Panigale - but with an engine designed for a more enjoyable everyday riding experience and more thrills on the race track. The new 955 cm3 twin-cylinder power unit, the first Superquadro to have obtained Euro 4* type-approval, comes with a new stroke length and other innovations that have given rise to an even more impressive torque curve and increased maximum power, now 157 hp at 10.500 rpm. The increased torque and maximum power values do not imply shorter service intervals, therefore, valve clearance inspections are still only required every 24,000 kilometres (15,000 miles).

The super-smooth engine continues to be a fully stressed member of the innovative monocoque frame, achieving both an outstanding power-to-weight ratio and ride-enhancing response and agility with a dry weight of only 176 kg* - while still ensuring full compliance with the structural limitations required by Euro 4* standards. The unmistakable 1299 Panigale-derived silhouette of this bike, even with a redesigned nose fairing, headlight and tailpiece, underlines the family DNA: the Ducati Quick Shift (DQS), Riding Mode technology including Ride-by-Wire, triple-stage Bosch ABS, Ducati Traction Control (DTC) and Engine Brake Control (EBC) featured by the Panigale are in line with Ducati's very own standards of technological excellence.

Every last detail of the 959 Panigale pays tribute to Ducati's legendary racing heritage. The wider nose fairing and screen improve aerodynamic performance and add to the aggressive look of the new front end, also enhanced by larger-section front air intakes. The split tailpiece design is the final touch to a real work of art: the 959 Panigale fairing, now including redesigned lateral air intakes and new rear view mirrors. The new bike is also equipped with aluminium billet-machined footrests for enhanced boot grip while riding.

The perfect balance

The fine balance between performance and control that every supersport motorcycle strives to achieve reaches its pinnacle in the new 959 Panigale. All combined in a unique design, which hallmarks the bike as an immediately recognizable member of the Ducati Superbike family. Lightweight and ready to thrill, thanks to its new 955 cc Superquadro engine and exclusive monocoque frame that ensure great handling and precision control. High level componentry such as a Brembo monobloc braking system with Bosch ABS, a slipper clutch, a Showa BPF fork and fully adjustable Sachs rear monoshock, and Riding Modes and Ducati Quick Shift all provide maximum control and safety.

The technology and performance of the new 959 Panigale are those of a large-displacement Superbike, with increased accessibility. The perfect balance for high-performance riding in all conditions, from the street to the track.

Power and versatility. Advanced engine, updated design

The technology and performance of the new 959 Panigale match the levels of models with large engines, and combine with greater versatility for use in all conditions, from the city to the track.

Superquadro engine

The new 955 cc twin-cylinder, the first Euro 4 homologated Superquadro, boasts a new stroke value and many other interventions that have led to a higher torque curve and greater maximum power.

2016 Ducati 959 Panigale - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ See Dealer for pricing in USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ See Dealer for pricing in CDN

Type Superquadro: L-twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
Displacement 955 cc
Bore x Stroke 100 x 60.8 mm
Compression Ratio 12.5:1
Power 115.5 kW (157 hp) @ 10,500 rpm
Torque 107.4 Nm (79.2 lb-ft) @ 9,000 rpm
Fuel injection Mitsubishi electronic fuel injection system. Twin injectors per cylinder. Full Ride-by-Wire elliptical throttle bodies
Exhaust 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and 2 lambda probes. Stainless steel pre-silencer + twin aluminium side mufflers**
Emissions Euro 4 **
Gearbox 6 speed with Ducati Quick Shift (DQS)
Ratio 1=37/15 2=30/16 3=27/18 4=25/20 5=24/22 6=23/24
Primary drive Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.77:1
Final drive Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 43
Clutch Slipper and self-servo wet multiplate clutch with hydraulic control
Frame Monocoque Aluminium
Wheelbase 1,431 mm (56.34 in)
Rake 24°
Trail 96 mm (3.78 in)
Steering lock (total) 48°
Front suspension Fully adjustable Showa BPF fork. 43 mm chromed inner tubes
Front wheel travel 120 mm (4.72 in)
Front wheel 10-spoke light alloy 3.50" x 17"
Front tyre Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 120/70 ZR17
Rear suspension Fully adjustable Sachs unit. Aluminum double-sided swingarm
Rear wheel travel 130 mm (5.12 in)
Rear wheel 10 spokes light alloy 5.50” x 17”
Rear tyre Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 180/60 ZR17
Front brake 2 x 320 mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo monobloc M4.32 4-piston callipers, with Bosch ABS as standard
Rear brake 245 mm disc, 2-piston calliper, with Bosch ABS as standard
Fuel tank capacity 17 l - 4.5 gallon (US)
Dry weight 176 kg (387.2 lb) **
*Wet weight 200 kg (440 lb) **
Seat height 830 mm (32.48 in)
Max height 1115 mm (43.9 in)
Max length 2056 mm (80.9 in)
Instrumentation Full LCD display
Ducati electronics DTC, DQS, EBC, Riding Modes, Power Modes, R-b-W
Warranty 2 years unlimited mileage
Versions Dual seat
Additional equipment DDA+ with GPS-ready
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale - Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

We haven't had a supersport bike in a while, so new for 2016, Ducati launches the 959 Panigale!

More affordable alternative? More likely.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

#3 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

Cool, not awesome. I have absolutely no doubt that this will be an exceptionally good motorcycle, within the context of supersports.

I've been a little disappointed with Ducati the last few model years. What happened to the entry level stuff? First they phased out the smaller Monsters and the smaller Hypermotard, then they jumped on the "scrambler" bandwagon (a trend in motorcycling that I've never understood). Do they really expect an inexperienced rider who wants to get into the Ducati brand to buy one of their overpriced Scramblers and deal with the too small gas tank and rocking horse suspension for a few years before they buy one of the better Ducs? Maybe I'm just missing something. How come there's no Panigale 500S? It's entirely possible to produce a track-ready supersport with top shelf suspension, race tuned ABS, a quickshifter, race tuned power delivery, and other race-y stuff without triple digit horsepower.

I'm going to get off my internet soapbox now and say that I'm not advocating for the fast bikes to get slower, I just think there should be an entry level option for folks to learn on. In general, I'm pretty happy with the motorcycle industry right now, I'm just having a bad day because it snowed last night and I cant take my K1300S out for a day or 2.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

It's still a gorgeous Ducati supersport, so cool it is. I haven't been honestly interested in this category in quite some time though. I'll bet a lot of people my age (mid 40s) first got interested in bikes because of supersports, but I just feel too old, too inflexible, or too practical to seriously consider one of these now.

It makes me wonder what's the biggest selling category these days. I assume cruisers are the biggest sellers in NA. But considering the number of really exciting standards and ADV bikes coming out, I'm curious how supersports are doing in terms of percentage of total sales.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

Grey Thumper wrote:It's still a gorgeous Ducati supersport, so cool it is. I haven't been honestly interested in this category in quite some time though. I'll bet a lot of people my age (mid 40s) first got interested in bikes because of supersports, but I just feel too old, too inflexible, or too practical to seriously consider one of these now.
Yeah, and I'll be 60 in a few months, so guess how I feel? :roll:

Seriously, I agree with Grey Thumper. I admire the engineering and the aesthetics of these things. I think it's cool that Ducati's twin remains competitive with the screaming I-4's. But I really have no idea what I'd do with one. On the crowded roads of New Jersey, you couldn't use a quarter of the thing's performance. It's hundreds of miles to a place where the roads are empty enough that I could open it up. And I don't have any serious interest in track days - track riding is a hobby in itself, and I need another hobby like a hole in the head. :cry:

So as an intellectual exercise, it's a Cool. As a practical thing, I wouldn't buy any hardcore supersport or superbike from any manufacturer. Which is kind of sad: all that superb engineering to no purpose.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:It makes me wonder what's the biggest selling category these days. I assume cruisers are the biggest sellers in NA. But considering the number of really exciting standards and ADV bikes coming out, I'm curious how supersports are doing in terms of percentage of total sales.
You have it right. Cruisers in North America, Standards in Europe, but if I had to guess, the biggest seller would be Scooters and mopeds (worldwide).
snakedoctEr726 wrote:I've been a little disappointed with Ducati the last few model years. What happened to the entry level stuff? First they phased out the smaller Monsters and the smaller Hypermotard, then they jumped on the "scrambler" bandwagon (a trend in motorcycling that I've never understood)...

I'm going to get off my internet soapbox now and say that I'm not advocating for the fast bikes to get slower, I just think there should be an entry level option for folks to learn on...
Ducati now is offering a 399cc Scrambler, and even 15 years ago, I think the Ducati Monster 600 was the smallest they had. But I do know what you mean, there are very few choices in the Monster range, Sport or even motard Ducati range unless you want a 900cc + bike.

I'd like to see a Monster 400 with that Scramber Sixty2 engine.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

I know, it's over the top type of "mid-sized" superbike (960cc is mid-sized now!?). But what a looker! Not as sweet as a MV Agusta, but it's uber sexy. I won't own one to ride (I'm not a pretzel rider) but it sit in the living room, sure. lol.

Ducati Red? Yes please!

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Ducati 959 Panigale - Coolness Factor = 79.6%
Featured: November 27th, 2015 - December 4th 2015
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52392
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nigale.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale is:

Awesome (3 points) 56% [ 10 ]
Cool (2 points) 28% [ 5 ]
Uncool (1 point) 17% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 0% [ 0 ]

Total votes: 18

= a Coolwall Factor of 79.6%

Notes: Cool? You bet! But it is hard to argue with a super-sexy Ducati red superbike! Riders felt it's just too impractical outside of a race track and its not of the "overs" but what a machine. Like many have suggested, it would be nice to see Ducati offering up some entry level bikes outside of the Scramblers. (Monster 400 or Ducati 400 Panigale please!)

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale - Coolness Factor = 79.6%

#9 Unread post by High_Side »

Well it wasn't all THAT long ago that the top of the line Ducati Superbikes were 851, 888, then 916cc. Now the mid-range bike has a larger displacement and nearly twice the power of the old masters. Seems a little silly.

Nice bike though.