Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

This Week: 2016 BMW G310R

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 BMW G310R on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... tor-SS.htm

Intense riding pleasure...

The BMW G310R is the essence of riding pleasure. It was built for pulsing cities and for all those who simply love riding motorcycles. It is manoeuvrable, easy to handle and sporty at the same time. Whether you're a tall or small rider – you’ll immediately feel at home on the BMW G310R! The bike is lightweight, yet a real powerhouse with its 313 cc engine. Safely and reliably the new bike will get you to work, to the next hotspot or out of the city. The G310R is a real BMW motorcycle, but with reduced cylinder capacity. Maximum quality, excellent workmanship and extraordinary technology ensure intense riding pleasure.

Good genes. Good looks.

Good looks unmistakably run in the family – the G310R clearly carries the S1000R genes. The sporty headlight fairing with powerful headlight, dynamic fuel tank trim and typical roadster proportions transform it into an eye-catcher on the street. The G310R is light and strong at the same time thanks to its dynamic front and distinctive rear. The short seat emphasises the roadster dynamic in the rear section and gives the bike, especially in white, an unmistakeable motorsport look. The gold anodised fork and brake blocks emphasise the high-quality workmanship of the machine.

Another highlight is the detailed aluminium swing arm. The cut-outs ensure lightness and the struts offer stability. And the wide tyres ensure the correct adhesion to the road – riding pleasure is guaranteed.

Light, strong and manoeuvrable.

The G310R doesn't take second place technically either. Quite the opposite: with sophisticated and unconventional technical highlights you won’t follow but lead. The one-cylinder, four-strike 313 cc engine, among other things, helps to ensure this. The unusual tilt of the cylinder to the rear and the cylinder head that has been rotated 180° lowers the centre of gravity and shifts it in the direction of the front wheel. Because of this, the G310R is more agile and easier to control. The low and longer swing arm ensures even more stability, without unnecessarily increasing the wheelbase. No BMW motorcycle has been without it since 2013: standard ABS. It is also fitted in the G310R and ensures your safety on every ride. Good looks, powerful drive and less than 160 kg fully fuelled, with the G310R you can simply enjoy motorcycling.

Everyone wants to ride it.

2016 BMW G310R http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

• Innovative liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with two overhead camshafts, backward-tilted cylinder and intake tract positioned at the front.
• Output 25 kW (34 hp) at 9 500 rpm and a maximum torque of 28 Nm at 7 500 rpm.
• Rigid tubular steel frame, upside-down fork and long swinging arm for a high degree of ride stability, precise steering response and sound handling.
• Tyres 110/70 R 17 at front and 150/60 R 17 at rear.
• High-performance brake system and ABS as standard.
• Sophisticated ergonomics and multifunctional instrument cluster.
• Low seat height of just 785 millimetres.
• Dynamic roadster design with echoes of the S 1000 R.
• Developed in Munich by BMW Motorrad – produced in India by cooperation partner TVS Motor Company.
• Individually tailored optional accessories in the familiar high quality typical of BMW Motorrad.

2016 BMW G310R - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ TBA (including ABS) USD *Expected arrival at dealerships Q3 2016.
Canada MSRP Price: $ See Dealer for pricing in CDN

Engine
Capacity cc 313
Bore/stroke mm 80/62
Output kW/hp 25/34 at engine speed rpm 9500
Torque Nm 28 at engine speed rpm 7500
Type liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine
No. of cylinders 1
Compression/fuel 10.6:1 / premium unleaded (95 RON)
Valve/accelerator actuation DOHC
Valves per cylinder 4
Ø intake/outlet mm 33.5/27.2
Ø Throttle valves mm 42
Engine control BMS-E2
Emission control closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter

Electrical system
Alternator W 330
Battery V/Ah 12/8
Headlamp W H4 12 V 60/55 W
Starter kW 0.5
Power transmission - gearbox
Clutch Multi-plate wet clutch
Gearbox constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox
Primary ratio 3.083
Transmission ratios I 3.000
II 2.063
III 1.588
IV 1.286
V 1.095
VI 0.955
Rear wheel drive O-ring chain

Suspension
Frame construction type Tubular steel frame in grid structure with bolt-on rear frame
Front wheel suspension Telescopic fork, Ø 41mm
Rear wheel suspension Aluminium swinging arm in conjunction with a directly mounted spring strut
Total spring travel, front/rear mm 140/131
Wheel castor mm 102.3
Wheelbase mm 1374
Steering head angle ° 64.9
Brakes front Single-disc brake Ø 300 mm, rear Single-disc brake Ø 240 mm
ABS BMW Motorrad ABS
Wheels 5-spoke light alloy die-cast, front 3.0 x 17", rear 4.0 x 17"
Tyres front 110/70 R 17, rear 150/60 R 17
Dimensions and weights
Total length mm 1988
Total width with mirrors mm 896
Seat height mm 785
DIN unladen weight, road ready kg 158.5
Permitted total weight kg 345
Fuel tank capacity l 11
Performance figures
Fuel consumption (WMTC) l/100 km 3.33
Top speed km/h 145
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 BMW G310R

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

New from BMW for 2016, t he G310R. First small BMW in a dog's age!

A few interesting facts I noted:

"• Developed in Munich by BMW Motorrad – produced in India by cooperation partner TVS Motor Company."

No price announced yet, but I wouldn't think it's the price of a Kawasaki or Honda 300.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

I am not sure what to make of this model, after all Beemer cars and bikes have had a long reputation for being on the high end of the performance and luxury scale and that includes their off-road/adventure style vehicles. Seeing a baby Beemer bike just doesn't seem right, although it does make sense. Adding an entry level bike into the European and North American markets would allow them to directly compete with both Honda and Kawasaki for market share and early brand loyalty development among new riders. And the size of the bike is perfect for South East Asian markets where 185's to 250's are the norm, again allowing BMW a potential toe hold into a highly lucrative market dominated by Japanese brands. Still, I think this bike is going to take some getting use to by "mature" European and North American riders, even if they would never own or ride one. Be interesting to see where this leads.
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:I am not sure what to make of this model... And the size of the bike is perfect for South East Asian markets where 185's to 250's are the norm, again allowing BMW a potential toe hold into a highly lucrative market dominated by Japanese brands. Still, I think this bike is going to take some getting use to by "mature" European and North American riders, even if they would never own or ride one. Be interesting to see where this leads.
I see where you are coming from. It is interesting that it is a 313cc bike. In the UK, the age/size limits are 125cc and 250cc. After that it's open class. I'm not sure if there would be much call for a 300cc+ bike. And in ASIA, a 300cc bike is quite large for an engine.

So I'm guessing, like you, that it's a direct competitor for the Japanese 300cc's... but will it be price competitive?

Mike

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I think it's a fantastic idea. KTM did a great job launching their 200cc and 390cc Dukes, ending up getting a lot of new riders into the brand, and they're now the largest European motorcycle manufacturer. A decade ago, the average BMW rider was in their late 50s, and pretty much every move they've made since the 2000s was to get younger and younger people into the brand. This bike is a continuation of that. If you're gonna get people to be loyal to your brand, it helps to give them an option when they're just starting out riding.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, now I wish there was a "meh" vote, but went with Cool, as it is, a cool small bike.

While it's not available till the end of 2016 *(Expected arrival at dealerships Q4 2016) I'm a little concerned about it being made in India. Any bike made in India I would go to say might not be to German standards let alone Japanese standards. So a BMW from India... hummmm. Well, it better be priced right is all I can say as I'm sure parts/repairs/service won't be.

That aside, it is a good looking bike, a little "generic" but funny enough, the BMW G310R reminds me a lot of the Hyosung GT650! And I bet they G310R will out sell it 4-1. Which would be odd as I'm sure the 310R would be the same price as the GT650 and be the same quality. Go BMW badge!

I've also seen this style come out in the Chinese bikes out there too. I think if BMW didn't have a young "sexy" chick and sexy photos of the bike, it won't be as desirable. Sex sells right?

Keeway RK600 Street Moto China

WARNING: DO NOT TYPE IN "Chinese naked bike" in Google image search! Gez, what is Google coming to?

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Ok, now I wish there was a "meh" vote, but went with Cool, as it is, a cool small bike.
So give us our damned meh option, or do we have to break out the strawberry jam?
totalmotorcycle wrote:WARNING: DO NOT TYPE IN "Chinese naked bike" in Google image search! Gez, what is Google coming to?
challenge accepted.

Always ask why.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

This is my kinda bike! Super Awesome! Whilst at this point in my career I wouldn't be buying a 313cc, there was a time when I would have (and there are plenty of young folks starting out in biking that would be great candidates). When I started, all there was was a Ninja 250. Today, there is so much more variety. And this little Beemer looks just freakin' awesome for a first bike. Way to go BMW!
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Ok, now I wish there was a "meh" vote, but went with Cool, as it is, a cool small bike.
So give us our damned meh option, or do we have to break out the strawberry jam?
totalmotorcycle wrote:WARNING: DO NOT TYPE IN "Chinese naked bike" in Google image search! Gez, what is Google coming to?
challenge accepted.

OK Ceemes... now click on that little button at the top that says "Images"...

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 BMW G310R - Coolness Factor = 66.7%
Featured: February 5th - February 12th 2016
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52607
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... -G310R.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 BMW G310R is:

Awesome (3 points) 24% [ 5 ]
Cool (2 points) 57% [ 12 ]
Uncool (1 point) 14% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 5% [ 1 ]

Total votes: 21

= a Coolwall Factor of 66.7%

Notes: After 40 years BMW has decided to re-introduce a small motorcycle to the market. Whether it was market insight, competition or the slowing economy it offers what riders want, choice. And I have to applaud BMW for offering choice in the small engine size end rather than just another "mid/large" sized bike. New riders will really benefit from that decision and bring younger stock into the BMW pen. Thinking about this, this is what Harley-Davidson is doing as well with their Street 500/750 models and in a small way, Indian with their Scout. It will be interesting to see how this trend evolves...

[/i]Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!