Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2016 Hyosung GT650R - Coolness Factor = 50.0%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Hyosung GT650R Review on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... yosung.htm

2016 Hyosung GT650R

way to experience velocity....

The GT650R inspires rider confidence whether you're commuting to work or dominating at the racetrack. The 650cc 90-degree DOHC 8 valve fuel-injected V-twin engine delivers both peak power and a broad usable power band, while the adjustable suspension, inverted forks and oval tube frame provide you exceptional performance and extraordinary rider feedback. Four-piston calipers enhance breaking power and a LED tail lamp enhances your visibility and safety at night, while clip-on handlebars, three-position adjustable rearsets and a race-inspired full fairing complete the sportsbike package.

Whether naked or faired, the GT delivers all around performance and handling.The GT650 family starts with a rigid chassis and adjustable suspension that gives precise handling and feedback.650cc,90 degree DOHC, 8 valve, fuel injected V-twin engine gives both high peak power and a broad usable power band. The new 4-piston calipers enhance braking power and a LED tail lamp
enhances your visibility and safety at night. GT650R with clip on handle bars, adjustable foot pegs, race inspired full fairing and narrow and higher seat complete the sport bike package.

2016 Hyosung GT650R http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

90° v-twin engine delivers high peak power and a broad usuable powerband makes the GT650 a great all around performer.

Features 41mm adjustable inverted forks and dual disc brakes in the front.

4 piston calipers on the front brakes provide the stopping power needed for sport riding and safety.

Wide 160/60-17 rear tire provides the traction to keep you moving and safe.

Dual stacked headlights provide the clear path for safe riding.

Adjustable rear sets allow the rider to set the right leg position for comfort and performance.

2016 Hyosung GT650R - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $6599 USD
Canadian MSRP Price: $7499 CAD

Chassis Overall Length 82.28 inches
Overall Height 44.68 inches
Overall Width 27.56 inches
Wheel Base 56.50 inches
Seat Height 32.68 inches
Brake Front: 300Ø Semi Floating double discs, 4 pistons calipers
Brake Rear: 230Ø Single disc, 2 pistons caliper
Suspension Front: 41Ø Upside down Telescopic (Compression, Rebound damping adjustable)
Suspension Rear: Swing arm with Progressive linkage Hydraulic Mono shock absorber (Preload adjustable)
Tire Front: 120/60 ZR-17 / Rear: 160/60 ZR-17
Frue Tank CapacitY 4.5gal
Curb Weight 474lbs

Engine Type Liquid cooled DOHC 8-valve 90°; V-twin
Displacement 647cc
Bore x Stroke 81.5 x 62
Compression Ratio 11.5 : 1
Fuel System Fuel injection
Lubrication Wet sump

Transmission Clutch Wet, Multiplate
Gear Constant mesh 6-speed
Final Drive Chain

Warranty 2 Year Limited 1st year parts & labor, 2nd year parts

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... yosung.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 Hyosung GT650R - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, I can't believe in the past 5 years of the Cool Wall we haven't had a Hyosung GT650R up!

Well, better late then never...

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

I can't believe they are still in business. The bike was a weak clone of a sv650 from years ago and yet here it still is. Maybe some owners will chime in,but with everything that I have read about them, the only thing they had going for them is price.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#4 Unread post by faded sun »

Why is this bike a v-twin?

Doesn't make sense to me.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

faded sun wrote:Why is this bike a v-twin?

Doesn't make sense to me.
Why not? It's a clone of a SV650 Suzuki engine which itself is loosely based upon the architecture of a Ducati. Ducati proved just how successful a V-twin could be in World Superbike so in the late 90s both Honda and Suzuki gave it a go.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Remember how crappy the rep of Hyundai was in the 80s? And now they're a competitive, viable choice. Maybe it really will take that long for Hyosung to be competitive with Japanese brands. I'd like them to be successful someday. But right now, the GT650R is completely uninteresting. And it's just $400 cheaper than the newly revised SV650 - less than 10% difference between them. I'd rather save up to get the Suzuki.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:Remember how crappy the rep of Hyundai was in the 80s? And now they're a competitive, viable choice. Maybe it really will take that long for Hyosung to be competitive with Japanese brands. I'd like them to be successful someday. But right now, the GT650R is completely uninteresting. And it's just $400 cheaper than the newly revised SV650 - less than 10% difference between them. I'd rather save up to get the Suzuki.
Indeed. In fact, I drive a little '15 Hyundai Accent and I would not have considered the brand before, but the quality and value of their new models are pretty darn hard to pass up now.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Cool

I do feel bad for the Hyosung GT650R as I waited maybe a tad too long to put it up on the cool wall, and I think the results are showing that... but on the other hand, this is their 2016 model, it's not like it is 2008 anymore!

Overall, It's a good bike, offers good value and a good engine (V-Twin, awesome choice) at a value that is right at the forefront of a 650cc full-faired bike. You don't see them on the road that much so rarity at a price point is a nice perk too. I would like to see it cheaper than $300-400 less than the "new" Suzuki SV650 though (maybe $750 cheaper).

As Grey Thumper touched upon, I do think Hyosung will be a competitive with the Japanese brands and hopefully sooner than later. They have introduced a couple new models in the past couple of years and they keep refining and catching up. The Japanese brands are pretty darn faultless today so how much upside do they have left other than design? But I'm disappointed in Hyosung that they are not really putting enough R&D into their models. Change is good, innovation is good and as mentioned, look at what KIA and Hyundai are doing so we know the South Korean manufacturer can bring the game.

So, Hyosung, let's bring it on for 2017.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Hyosung GT650R - Coolness Factor = 50.0%
Featured: June 24th - July 1st, 2016
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53241
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... yosung.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Hyosung GT650R Review is:

Awesome (3 points) 0% [ 0 ]
Cool (2 points) 55% [ 11 ]
Uncool (1 point) 40% [ 8 ]
Fail (0 point) 5% [ 1 ]

Total votes: 20

= a Coolwall Factor of 50.0%

Notes: I don't think we have ever had a bike on the cool wall hit the even-steven 50% mark before! But that makes perfect sense for the 2016 Hyosung GT650R as it's a bike that has so much potential that isn't realized. V-Twin, check. Value priced, check. Looks good, check. But it's dated and desperately needs R&D to keep up with the German, Japanese and Italian bikes. We all know Hyosung can improve the model, so Hyosung, don't let us down for 2017/18!

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!