Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII - Coolness Factor = 79.8%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... t-MKII.htm

2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII on http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Brilliant...

The commando 961 Sport is based on the original design for the Commando with conventional forks to give a smooth, more comfortable ride and better aesthetic.

2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

- Conventional ohlins forks

- Gold line axial front brake calipers

- Conventional style handlebars

- Integral brake and clutch master cylinders

- Steel chain guard

2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits

Norton heritage

Norton returns, the name synonymous with the British sport motorcycling culture, and a brand that added so many enduring names to the motorcycle lexicon - Commando, Dominator, and of course Norton Manx whose fame was gained while dominating world Gran Prix road racing for decades. When the first Norton motorcycle, the 'Engerette', rolled out of the original Birmingham England factory in 1902, it was the birth of a lineage of motorcycles that shapes the motorcycle scene to this day. It is fitting that the new factory and world headquarters of Norton are based at the spiritual centre of British motorsport, the famous Donington Park Grand Prix Circuit, so near the traditional heart of the British motorcycle industry in Birmingham. We embrace the passion and pride of Norton's heritage, with our eyes firmly fixed on the future. We proudly continue the legacy and assume the mission of designing, engineering and building motorcycles that reflect the best of this iconic brand.

Features common to all Norton Commando 961 models

Norton is, and always will be a premium priced motorcycle with an emphasis on the quality of materials and attention to detail - designed and engineered for superior road manners and exceptional road holding. We are proudly British. More than 80% of a Norton's individual parts are 'Made in England', and combine with some of the best components available.

Chassis and running gear

The Norton reputation for superior road-holding is legendary, and continues by building a chassis of the finest materials with real world geometry and settings. Norton frames are crafted in-house at our Castle Donington factory from cold drawn 1 inch diameter, .08" wall thickness European steel. The frame also acts as the oil reservoir for the dry sump engine. Road manners are further enhanced by employing confidence inspiring and fully adjustable Ohlins suspension both front and rear, while braking tasks are handled by premier Brembo calipers, discs and master cylinders.

2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing

Engine

Engine Type: In-house developed parallel twin with dry sump lubrication Compression ratio: 10.1:1
Displacement: 961 cc Ignition: Crank fired electronic fuel injection and multiple 2 way catalytic converters. Euro 3 compliant.
Cooling System: Air/Oil Exhaust: Stainless steel Exhaust
Valve Actuation: Push rod, hydraulic roller lifter, 2 valves per cylinder
Bore x stroke: 88mm x 79mm

Transmission

Gear box: Constant mesh 5-speed
Final drive: 525 O-ring chain
Clutch: Wet multi-plate

Dimensions

Wheelbase: 1420mm (55.9") Front tyre: 120/70 x 17"
Rake: 24.5° Rear tyre: 180/55 x 17"
Trail: 99mm (3.9") Front wheel travel: 115mm (4.53")
Front wheel: 36 spoke 3.5" x 17" Polished Aluminium Rim Rear wheel travel: 100mm (3.94")
Rear wheel: 40 spoke 5.5" x 17" Polished Aluminium Rim Seat height: 813mm (23")

Suspension

Front suspension: 43mm Ohlins RWU - adjustable preload, compression & rebound damping
Rear suspension: Ohlins twin shocks with remote reservoir - adjustable ride height, preload, rebound and compression

Brakes

Front brakes: Full Brembo system, twin Brembo 320mm fully-floating high carbon stainless steel discs & Brembo 4 piston axially mounted callipers. Brembo front brake master cylinder with integral reservoir
Rear brakes: Full Brembo system, single Brembo 220mm disc & Brembo 2 piston calliper. Brembo rear brake master cylinder

Clutch: Brembo hydraulic clutch master cylinder with integral reservoir and Brembo slave cylinder

Performance

Power: 80PS @ 6500RPM
Torque: 90Nm @ 5200RPM

Electronics & Controls

Charging system: 300 watt hi-output charging system
Instrumentation: Norton electronic analogue speedo and tachometer

Colour Options

Galactic Black with Gold Pinstripe
Galactic Black with Gold Pinstripe
Titanium Grey with Black Pinstripe

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... t-MKII.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2017 Norton Commando 961 Sport MKII - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Faded Sun wanted to see any of the new Norton Commando's up this week on the Cool Wall, and thus, I give you the new MKII version of the Sport that's new for 2017. Pricing should be around $22k USD I would guess.

Enjoy!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

I give it a qualified awesome vote. This is retro done correctly, however the price is off putting a wee bit. If I had the spare coin, I would consider getting one, but I would be hard pressed to justify paying the price given you can get any of the Triumph Bonneville line for about half the price.....still, it looks good and there are not many Norton's about.
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:I give it a qualified awesome vote. This is retro done correctly, however the price is off putting a wee bit. If I had the spare coin, I would consider getting one, but I would be hard pressed to justify paying the price given you can get any of the Triumph Bonneville line for about half the price.....still, it looks good and there are not many Norton's about.
That's true, a Triumph is about 1/2 the cost... but, the Norton is hand built and is very exclusive (mostly due to the price and output numbers)... OH, and it's built in a real English castle vs Thailand... :cowboy:

I think once/if sales numbers come up, price should come down...

Norton Plant:

Triumph Thailand Plant:

Mike

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#5 Unread post by faded sun »

Pretty nice looking bike. I find it interesting that bike manufacturers seem to be willing to be more faithful to the original design look when going for a retro look than car manufacturers. For example the recent re-issue of the Camaro and Charger models bear only a passing resemblance to the originals, though I think the Mustang re-birth was much closer to the look of the original.

I would have to have a good test ride to lay out that kind of money for one of these. But I usually shop in the re-sale market anyway so the price wouldn't be quite so ridiculous. I could buy 4 of my current ride for that price and have money left over for farkles.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Just wanted to add, I don't have anything against Triumph's being made abroad, I'm sure their manufacturing process is top-notch. I was just highlighting that the cost of labor is much higher in the UK vs Thailand and making Norton's in a castle is pretty dang special. :)

Mike

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Just wanted to add, I don't have anything against Triumph's being made abroad, I'm sure their manufacturing process is top-notch. I was just highlighting that the cost of labor is much higher in the UK vs Thailand and making Norton's in a castle is pretty dang special. :)

Mike
I am not to sure about Norton's marketing strategy to be honest. Admittedly its not all that unusual for quirky UK firms to build limited hand made vehicles but so few of them are successful in the long run. TVR was once know to build utterly radical hyper cars, hand crafted and in limited numbers, but the brand has gone bankrupt more then once. Morgan is another, however they are somewhat successful.

I think that if the Norton badge is to be successfully relaunched into the world, it will need to copy its arch rival Triumph, and follow the same plan, if they don't, I fear Norton will go "lightbulbs" up yet again. Norton needs to get into mass production of well made bikes, at a price the average rider will consider matched up to a proper dealership and marketing programs.

Still, I do like the look of this bike, as I said in my earlier statement, it is retro done correctly, just a bit too pricey for my tastes and wallet.
Always ask why.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

Fail. Yet another attempt to drag an old, respected name out of the grave only to embarass and denigrate it further than the last umpteen failed attempts at resurrection. Overpriced, no dealer network, limited aftermarket support, built for the limited demographic of old, rich guys who will park it in their living room because they can't force the body into the awkward riding position anymore.

Whoa. Just had an out of body experience. Thought I was ceemes for a minute there. :?

I actually voted "awesome", even though my heart has been broken so many times before by the numerous short lived attempts to resurrect the brand. This is the cleanest, sweetest design yet and it instantly brings back memories of The Real Thing back in its heyday. Yep, it's a bit expensive, but that's the cost of exclusivity. It is pure eye candy, but the specs look like it can give anything a run for the money. I've no doubt anyone who owns one of these will have a permanent, bug stained grin on their face. I just hope this time the name will stay alive.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#9 Unread post by faded sun »

Gummiente wrote:
Whoa. Just had an out of body experience. Thought I was ceemes for a minute there. :?

:LOL2:

Glad you made it back to your body...
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#10 Unread post by ZRex »

Gummiente wrote:Fail. Yet another attempt to drag an old, respected name out of the grave only to embarass and denigrate it further than the last umpteen failed attempts at resurrection. Overpriced, no dealer network, limited aftermarket support, built for the limited demographic of old, rich guys who will park it in their living room because they can't force the body into the awkward riding position anymore.

I actually voted "awesome", even though my heart has been broken so many times before by the numerous short lived attempts to resurrect the brand. This is the cleanest, sweetest design yet and it instantly brings back memories of The Real Thing back in its heyday. Yep, it's a bit expensive, but that's the cost of exclusivity. It is pure eye candy, but the specs look like it can give anything a run for the money. I've no doubt anyone who owns one of these will have a permanent, bug stained grin on their face. I just hope this time the name will stay alive.
I agree 100% (with the last paragraph not the first), Awesome motorcycle.