Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2016 Kawasaki W800 - Coolness Factor = 81.7%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Kawasaki W800 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... i-W800.htm

2016 Kawasaki W800 on http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Classic...

Mixing high tech with heritage in one seductive retro package, the W800, with classic, class leading features, makes sound, simple sense in a complicated motorcycling world.

2016 Kawasaki W800 http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits

Seat

Long, comfortable seat with thick, ribbed padding has plenty of room for rider and passenger. Urethane at the front of the seat was shaped to facilitate the reach to the ground. Piping around the edge of the seat follows the line between the rider and passenger’s legs to ensure it does not cut into the rider’s thighs when stopped.

"W" styling

Voluptuous fuel tank finished in high-quality paint contributes to the W800’s aura of functional elegance. Newly designed tank emblems, finished in chrome, contribute to the high quality appearance.

Elegant muffler design
Simple, elegant muffler design comprises smooth curves and long, straight lines. Peashooter-style silencers with slim chambers and long tailpipes add a vintage touch.

Classic-styled Engine

"Building a beautiful engine" was a key concept when designing the air-cooled Vertical Twin. The classic-styled engine is lightweight, simple and a joy to behold. Iconic bevel-gear-driven cam adds beauty to the cylinder head while contributing to the engine’s classical appearance.

Instrumentation

Traditional instrumentation includes individual speedometer and tachometer with classic display. A multi-function LCD screen incorporates an odometer, tripmeter, and clock. A full range of indicator lamps includes an FI warning lamp, dual turn signal indicators, low fuel level indicator, high beam indicator, neutral indicator, and oil pressure warning lamp.

Adjustable levers
5-way adjustable clutch lever and 4-way adjustable brake lever enable riders to fine-tune lever span.

Rear shock absorbers

Dual rear shock absorbers, adjustable for spring preload, offer a smooth ride and clean look.

Details

As much as possible, plastic was eschewed in favour of metal. The result is a feeling of authentic quality that can only be obtained from the solid feel of metal parts.

Large headlamp

Large headlamp is offset wonderfully by the speedometer and tachometer and simple console.

Traditionally styled front fork

Traditionally styled front fork uses rubber gaitors to protect the fork tubes and ensure long fork seal life. Outer tubes have a buffed finish, which contributes to the light looking front end.

Front brake

Single 300 mm front disc brake offers sure stopping power.

Dual Throttle Valves

Late-model sport bikes often use large-bore throttle bodies to generate high levels of power. However, with large diameter throttles, when a rider suddenly opens the throttle, the unrestricted torque response is anything but gentle and often more than the rider can handle. Dual throttle valve technology was designed to tame engine response while contributing to performance.

On fuel-injected models, throttle bodies generally have only one throttle valve per cylinder. On models with dual throttle valves, there are two throttle valves per cylinder: in addition to the main valves, which are physically linked to the throttle grip and controlled by the rider, a second set of valves, opened and closed by the ECU, precisely regulates intake airflow to ensure a natural, linear response. With the air passing through the throttle bodies becoming smoother, combustion efficiency in improved and power is increased.

Like other Kawasaki engine management technology, Dual Throttle Valves were designed with the philosophy of "following the rider's intention, while providing natural-feeling support." They are featured on many Kawasaki models.

2016 Kawasaki W800 - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £6,899 GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)

Engine
Engine type
Air-cooled, 4-stroke Vertical Twin
Displacement
773 cm³
Bore x stroke
77.0 x 83.0 mm
Compression ratio
8.4:1
Valve/Induction system
SOHC, 8 valves
Fuel system
Fuel injection: ø34 mm x 2 with sub-throttles
Ignition
Digital
Starting
Electric
Lubrication
Forced lubrication, wet sump
Frame
Frame type
Double-cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake/Trail
27° / 108 mm
Wheel travel, front
130 mm
Wheel travel, rear
106 mm
Tyre, front
100/90-19M/C (57H)
Tyre, rear
130/80-18M/C (66H)
Steering angle, left / right
37° / 37°
Performance
Maximum power
35 KW (48 PS) / 6,500 rpm
Maximum torque
60 Nom (6.1 kgfom) / 2,500 rpm
Transmission
Transmission
5-speed, return
Final Drive
Sealed chain
Primary reduction ratio
2.095 (88/42)
Gear ratios: 1st
2.353 (40/17)
Gear ratios: 2nd
1.591 (35/22)
Gear ratios: 3rd
1.240 (31/25)
Gear ratios: 4th
1.000 (28/28)
Gear ratios: 5th
0.852 (23/27)
Final reduction ratio
2.467 (37/15)
Clutch
Wet multi-disc, manual
Brakes
Brakes, front
Single 300 mm discCaliper: Twin-piston
Brakes, rear
Drum, 160 mm
Suspension
Suspension, front
39 mm telescopic fork
Suspension, rear
Twin shocks. Spring preload: 5-way
Dimensions
Dimensions (L x W x H)
2,190 x 790 x 1,075 mm
Wheelbase
1,465 mm
Ground Clearance
125 mm
Fuel capacity
14 litres
Seat height
790 mm
Curb Mass
217 kg
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 Kawasaki W800 - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

End of the road for the Kawasaki W800 after so many years (unless Kawi decides to change their mind) around the world... Sadly, the W800 was never offered for sale in North America nor with the discontinuation, won't be.

Enjoy the last look of it, for now.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Awesome.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Sweet......pity we never got it here in NA
Always ask why.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#5 Unread post by Hanson »

Easy Awesome!

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:End of the road for the Kawasaki W800 after so many years (unless Kawi decides to change their mind) around the world.
Seriously? Wow, tragic. Especially now that manufacturers are scrambling all over each other (see what I did there) to launch retro bikes. The W800 wasn't a sales hit?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:End of the road for the Kawasaki W800 after so many years (unless Kawi decides to change their mind) around the world.
Seriously? Wow, tragic. Especially now that manufacturers are scrambling all over each other (see what I did there) to launch retro bikes. The W800 wasn't a sales hit?
Well, from what I heard when I covered the UK motorcycle shows was the W800 was a great looker, but it didn't compete power-wise or build quality vs the Triumph Bonneville. I have heard it will still be available for Europe for the 2018 model year, but I'm thinking it is just leftover 17's.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Cool.

It's a bit of a mixed bag, I love the styling of the W800 and the history behind it. The other end it I actually got to sit on one at the UK motorcycle shows and it's small, cramped and has an uncomfortable seat and a bad (for tall guys) peg to seat to handlebar riding position.

It's a super nice bike, they even had a line of about 20 different customized tanks for it too, just amazing. Sad to see it go.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Kawasaki W800 - Coolness Factor = 81.7%
Featured: November 4th - November 11th, 2016
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53812
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... i-W800.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Kawasaki W800 is:

Awesome (3 points) 58% 58% [ 18 ]
Cool (2 points) 32% 32% [ 10 ]
Uncool (1 point) 6% 6% [ 2 ]
Fail (0 point) 3% 3% [ 1 ]

Total votes: 31

= a Coolwall Factor of 81.7%

Notes: A great voter turnout for a great motorcycle. Shame Kawasaki is looking at discontinuing it for the 2018 model year considering the very high 81.7% coolness factor. I know Kawasaki reads Total Motorcycle, so let's hope they decide, based on our readers, to keep it not only in the 2018 model line up, but also to bring it to North America!

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!