Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 - Coolness Factor = 35.4%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... XT-100.htm

2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 on www.Totalmotorcycle.com

The Great Escape...

In 2016, its centenary year, the BMW Group is looking further into the future than ever before and developing a series of Vision Vehicles to address people’s mobility needs in about three decades from now. Its solutions are based on the assumption that mobility is set to become increasingly multifaceted and connected.

“The BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 embodies the BMW Group’s vision of biking in a connected world – an analogue experience in a digital age. Motorcycling is about escaping from the everyday: the moment you straddle your bike, you are absolutely free. Your bike is The Great Escape,” says Edgar Heinrich, Head of Design at BMW Motorrad, outlining the core principles underlying his brand’s Vision Vehicle.

The BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 stands for the ultimate riding experience. Liberated from the need to wear a helmet and protective clothing, the rider is able to enjoy the forces. Acceleration, wind and nature as in touch with the surrounding world, savouring every moment. The design of the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 represents the essence of the motorcycle: the perfect synthesis between human and machine. Every detail is of the highest quality and the design incorporates all the most striking visual aspects of BMW Motorrad bikes across the ages. These elements, however, have a contemporary twist, both visually and in terms of function.

The iconic elements in the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 make it immediately recognisable as a “genuine BMW” and include the black frame triangle, white lines and classic, boxer engine forms. The bike itself, however, is powered by a zero-emissions solution.

The BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 unites the past of the BMW Motorrad brand with its future and is a powerful expression of both.

2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100:

What kind of world will be home to the motorcycle of the future?

"Normally, when we develop a motorcycle, we tend to think 5 to 10 years in advance. On this occasion, we looked much further ahead and found the experience especially exciting. There are some very attractive prospects. I firmly believe the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 sets out a coherent future scenario for the BMW Motorrad brand," explains Edgar Heinrich.

When designing the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100, the team was thinking decades in advance. In tomorrow’s world, connectivity and digitalisation will be all-encompassing. Most vehicles will be driverless, and life will be organised largely by digital services. More and more of the world’s population will be living in urban areas.

Digital technologies for an analogue experience

Building on the benefits of the digital world, the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 takes the analogue riding experience to a completely new level. The unique sensation of freedom is made possible by intelligent connectivity between rider, bike and the outside world – a combination that also allows the prediction of critical situations on the roads. In conjunction with the active assistance systems, these connected elements help keep riders of the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 in complete control of their ride. As well as anticipating what lies ahead and alerting the user when action is needed, they offer active rider protection and will consign the helmets and body protectors of today to the history books.

"Self-balancing" – active, intelligent assistant systems

In certain situations, the active assistance systems of the future will also enhance stability and safety by automatically balancing the motorcycle, both out on the road and when stationary. Novice riders will benefit from additional guidance in all riding situations and from a bike that will never tip over.

The BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 rights itself while even stationary, remaining upright when the rider has dismounted. The balancing systems also work out on the road to ensure a particularly agile and dynamic riding experience with even lighter handling, which seasoned riders will appreciate, and all the benefits of assistance systems to enhance their capabilities even further. The BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 helps every biker become more proficient and enjoy an even more positive riding experience. Every trip becomes a journey of freedom, from beginning to end.

The Digital Companion – Connected. Ubiquitous. Discreet.

When combined, the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 bike and the special rider’s gear that has been designed to accompany it form a single functional unit: a Digital Companion that provides the situational information and active support the rider needs. But because biking is essentially about the experience, the Digital Companion remains in the background: though constantly active, it works away unnoticed until required to issue an alert via the user interface or provide active assistance, for instance. Unless the rider or circumstances require it, the Digital Companion remains silent.

“A key point with the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 was to make sure the constant digital presence doesn’t undermine the analogue riding experience. The display and operating concept works so subtly that the rider can enjoy an entirely natural biking experience, trusting the bike completely and enjoying complete freedom and ease. As interface designers, our job is to deliver the right amount of the right information at the best possible time and place," explains Holger Hampf, Head of User Experience at the BMW Group.

The visor – the right information at the right time

Information exchanges between rider and bike take place largely via the visor. This essentially consists of a pair of data glasses that extends across the wearer’s entire field of vision. As well as providing wind protection, it shows relevant data in one of four designated display areas. These are controlled by the rider’s eye movements: looking up or down changes the content that appears, and looking straight ahead switches the information off completely, leaving the rider to focus even more fully on biking experience. Information is only projected onto the visor on request, or to alert the rider to the fact that action is needed.

"The bike has the full range of connected data from its surroundings and a set of intelligent systems working in the background, so it knows exactly what lies ahead. By collating the data it has gathered, it can suggest ideal lines and banking angles, or warn riders of hazards ahead," Hampf continues. When suggesting lines and angles, the Digital Companion appears in the lower third of the field of view, represented by an upturned triangle from which two horizontal lines extend outwards. Like the display in an aeroplane cockpit, this symbol indicates the current banking angle and ideal lines. If the bike’s current position does not match what is suggested, the rider can correct it as necessary. If he or she responds too late or not at all, the bike will correct itself. The Digital Companion’s advice not only helps novices to learn more about what they and their bikes can do. It also supports experienced riders by allowing them to challenge themselves and continuously improve their skills.

Looking upwards activates the rear-view function in the visor, allowing the rider to see what is going on on the road behind. Lowering the eyes to normal levels opens a menu from which the rider can select an option by pointing a finger. Looking further down opens the map view showing the rider’s chosen route.

Smart. Active. Flexible – rider’s equipment

The rider’s gear accompanying the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 is integral to the unique overall experience. In classic black and white, the airy suit enhances the sense of freedom and is both fashion statement and weather-wear. Depending on conditions, it warms or cools the user. While the diagonal zipper across the chest is reminiscent of traditional motorcycle clothing, the flexible, banded structure of the suit and shoes is inspired by the muscle areas of the human body and provides body support and relief whenever needed.

At higher speeds, the neck section inflates to provide extra support for the upper vertebrae and improve overall comfort. Variable openings offer additional ventilation. Unlike present-day suits, however, the futuristic outfit for riders of the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 offers no safety features, because the bike’s intelligent assistance systems make them superfluous. Instead, sensors in the suit keep track of the wearer’s pulse rate and body temperature and provide the right level of heat or cold. The suit also delivers navigation instructions via the vibrating elements in the arms and legs, and alerts the rider when the banking angle is becoming critical. Rider and machine form a single functional unit to offer a more intense riding experience than ever before. Edgar Heinrich sums up: "The BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 unites the best of both worlds – digital and analogue – for the ultimate emotional experience: The Great Escape."

2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 - www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ See dealer for pricing in USD

It's a concept, no specs silly.

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... XT-100.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

Re: This Week: 2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by faded sun »

Well, 3 DECADES from now, I suppose virtually all vehicles on the road will be "driverless" and thus not likely to t-bone you at an intersection, but I will be interested to see the fail-safe systems that are able to keep ANY rider in the saddle and not sanding themselves smooth on the tarmac. I will also be interested to see how many people put a windshield on as their first farkle.

That is if I am still here in three decades which will be around my 85th birthday. If I am still here I will still be riding. Might be nice at that age to not have to worry about your bike falling over when you are trying to get off to take another goddamned pee. (lol)

If nothing else, it's cool that they are looking at what its gonna be like that far down the road. Zero emissions means either electric or hydrogen. There will probably be only one or two places in a city where you will be able to purchase gasoline by then, but at least high octane will be the only kind available. For us old farts that ride infernal combustion engines with the need for mufflers, there will still be a need for a bit of armour and maybe a helmet ( but at least it will keep the bugs out of your teeth, unlike that sexy visor thingy). ( and I have met several flying insects at high velocity with my helmet )
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Why the hell are we voting on a concept that will not see the light of day for another 30 years? Or rather, why are we voting on a concept that odds are will never see the light of day ever? Don't get me wrong, I like Beemers, hell my new cage is a BMW X3, but these concept really ever pan out, at best they are nothing more then a designers pipe dreams, remember the concept cars that came out in the 50's???

Big fail Mike, I suggest we keep it "real" in future.
Always ask why.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Agree. I don't see the point in voting for concept bikes. It's the same as voting for fictional bikes in sci fi movies; they don't exist, they don't need to be able to work. Someone can come up with a concept bike that's powered by the carbon dioxide I exhale or my own body heat. I can say yay, cool, but the reality is, it's blue-sky thinking.

Also, I think it's a bit irresponsible for BMW to promote (even as a concept) riding gear that doesn't have any safety features, as if this is an ideal that we should be reaching toward. Anyone who's ever been hit by something tiny (a small rock, a bird, a bug, a branch?) knows that riding gear doesn't just protect you during a crash.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

faded sun
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by faded sun »

Grey Thumper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:54 pm
Also, I think it's a bit irresponsible for BMW to promote (even as a concept) riding gear that doesn't have any safety features, as if this is an ideal that we should be reaching toward. Anyone who's ever been hit by something tiny (a small rock, a bird, a bug, a branch?) knows that riding gear doesn't just protect you during a crash.
+1 on that one. Makes me suspect the designers all drive cars to work.
Jock

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#6 Unread post by markdcoco »

You all must be an incredible "BUZZ-KILL" when watching a Sci-Fi movie explaining in minute detail how the Star Wars rocket powered two seater driver needs a helmet and protective gear (who gave a crap that Will Smith didn't wear a helmet in iRobot?) and how the atmosphere wouldn't support that type of engine... blahblahblah. I could care less about the technologies (which will change a hundred times between now and whenever) and the skin tight suit on the helmetless babe and find myself just smiling at the fact that the bike won't be self driving and some companies are actually thinking about a future. Without concepts like these we'd all be riding bikes from the turn of the century. The road of progressively changing technologies needed to get to this ride will be exciting for us all. Is it "awesome"? Perhaps not today... but the ride to get there will be fun. Vote... don't vote... your choice.

faded sun
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by faded sun »

Fortunately, most of us can tell the difference between a fictional story and factual engineering. If you look at the votes you will see that not everyone has voted to fail it. I voted cool for the reasons you mentioned. But I don't think it is cool to trash others for their viewpoints. Sorry we "all" disappointed you.
Jock

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Some great discussions, this week, it's good to see a bike on the Cool Wall create a stir.

Concept bikes are just that, concepts, but a lot of features and design of tomorrow's motorcycle will be drawn from the Concept vision. If you take a look at my Total Motorcycle Concept Guide: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/concept- ... yshots.htm you'll see over 300 bikes that at one time, were just a drawing or idea, but are now reality.

So on the Cool Wall, concept bikes are voted on for their "coolness factor" , do you like it? Do you like the features, the design, the concept?

ie: Thanks to these concepts, we have them today:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/p ... oncept.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... oncept.htm

and the latest concept:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... totype.htm

While you can't ride a concept today, you might be able to ride it tomorrow.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted in the minority, Awesome.

Just look at the sleekness of this design, hidden suspension, virtual reality heads up display, even the tire tread pattern is so futuristic to what we have today. And I would imagine the "riders goggles" are adding information to the mix as well.

Here is the most amazing part is that IT ISN'T AN AUTONOMOUS VEHICLE! We are taking a "100 years from now" concept that YOU CAN STILL MANUALLY control... that's bloody awesome.

Today we are looking at the possible emergence of mass autonomous cars. I, for one, have absolutely no desire to own one, and just won't purchase one unless forced to (maybe I'll just give up my "car" license instead) and ride only. But someone out there wants autonomous cars and we just might have a society where you are no longer allowed to drive anymore. Either they make it illegal or raise "self-diving" car insurance x2-10 more, who knows.

I love driving, even with a stick shift in traffic. But a future where it is still a possibility with a motorcycle, that's AWESOME.

Mike

PS. : "Star Wars rocket powered two seater driver "... It came at a time when the first "sportbikes with fairing" were just starting tp come out (1983)... Not sure I'd want to ride a jet powered nuclear motorcycle at speed in a forest, buy hey, it was pretty inspiring to watch...

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 - Coolness Factor = 35.4%
Featured: March 17th, 2017 - March 24th, 2017
Most popular vote category: Fail

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54267
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... XT-100.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 is:

Awesome (3 points) 3
Cool (2 points) 3
Uncool (1 point) 2
Fail (0 point) 8

Total votes: 16

= a Coolwall Factor of 35.4%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: I think our voters were a little bit confused this week on what to vote on with the 2017 BMW VISION NEXT 100 as it is a far-distant future concept bike; so the results may not be accurate. That said, it was a great discussion on concepts and it made us think what 30-100 years down the road will be like for not only bikes but for us, riders. Are motorcycles still going to be manually "driven"? Is gas around still? Safety gear? Is VR the future of gauges? Concepts allow us to "see" the future, abit a "dreamy, unclear" future, but it allows designers to draw upon those ideas and create the bikes we have coming up. Speaking of which, do check out our Concept Bike Guide: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/concept- ... yshots.htm and dream on...

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!