Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress - Coolness Factor = 73.0%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rtress.htm

2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress on www.Totalmotorcycle.com

MGX-21, TRENDS COME AND GO. AUTHENTICITY ENDURES...

MGX-21 is an amazing motorcycle that opens a new way to touring with its strikingly modern look and pleasant riding experience that is typical of Moto Guzzi. Aerodynamic harmony comes from the batwing fairing that wraps around the handlebars and is topped by sporty plexiglass double flyscreen.

The comfortable and spacious main seat has an ergonomic design that ensures maximum comfort for riders of different statures. The sidebags have a significant cargo capacity, a dedicated inner bag and are perfectly integrated with the lines of the motorcycle while not compromising its style.

The forged aluminum wide handlebar is designed to provide a commanding riding position. The powerful 1400 cc motor’s power and torque ensures maximum performance to make every trip memorable. The electronics such as the dedicated infotainment system, cruise control, ABS, traction control and engine maps, make the trip the best part of the journey.

FOR THOSE WHO STILL KNOW HOW TO GET EXCITED, MOTO GUZZI DEDICATES MGX-21, THE SEDUCTIVE AND UNCONVENTIONAL CRUISER FROM MANDELLO

THE TECHNOLOGICAL BANNER OF MOTO GUZZI MOTORCYCLES BOASTS A SUPERIOR EQUIPMENT PACKAGE, LUXURIOUS TRIMMINGS AND A FUTURISTIC AND BRAVE DESIGN THAT REMAINS ETCHED ON YOUR HEART

The MGX-21 is the most unconventional, rich and technological of the 1400 cc grand cruisers built at Mandello del Lario. It is the latest distinguished representative of a line begun in 1921 when Moto Guzzi started building unique motorcycles, strictly assembled by hand, as unique collector's items. Moto Guzzi is one of the greatest brands in the motorcycling world and in almost a century of history has produced motorcycles that are often ahead of their time, forging new ways forward subsequently adopted by everyone. From the racing track to the streets of the world, the company has not compromised its Italian soul. Backed by universally recognised values, Moto Guzzi can now express the influences and stimuli of motorcycle culture in an increasingly personal and exclusive style. The MGX-21 is the latest example of Moto Guzzi's originality and courage, a traditional part of its heritage.

The MGX-21 is dedicated to lovers of exclusive motorcycles, to people who know how to get excited even before they embark on a journey, simply by giving themselves over to the majesty that this prestigious Italian bike emanates, even from a standstill.

The MGX-21 seems to invite you to fasten your helmet and set off, heading wherever the map takes you. This Moto Guzzi offers a different and unique way of looking at a bike trip: it is not just the body that is transported, but it is the rider's soul that is involved in a beautiful and emotional experience. It is the sensation of perfect harmony with a muscular looking motorcycle. It is the purest essence of the voyage itself, made up of adventure, freedom and discovery.

The internal trembling and vibrations felt even before you climb on board, multiply when the 90° V-twin engine starts up: from the banks of the Lario to the borders of the world, your journey moves to the rhythm of the strokes of the huge pistons of the Moto Guzzi big block.

Miguel Galluzzi, who heads the PADC (Piaggio Advanced Design Center) in Pasadena, California, describes the genesis of this new spectacular Moto Guzzi: "How do we imagine crossing an entire continent on a Moto Guzzi? This is the first question we asked and the immediate response was, on board a California 1400, a recently renewed classic. But we wanted to push beyond our thoughts and our dreams, to take a leap into the future. We dared imagine a different way of travelling, cooler, as the Americans would say.

And we imagined that Moto Guzzi would design and build its own bagger. How could that be? How could a project like this steep itself in Italian design? So my thoughts turned to masters and masterpieces of our design: I think of Bertone, and his extraordinary Alfa Romeo BAT machines from the '50s, when these mad Italians interpreted the American taste for extreme shapes and translated the wildest dreams into precious metal, masterfully combining Italian creativity with American pragmatism. And of course we thought about infinite spaces, with straight roads heading to distant horizons, to speed records snatched on the expanses of salt lakes, to travelling aimlessly and freely. In this way a blurred image started to take on a definite shape, and so the MGX-21 was born."
The cruiser stands out for its design, build quality and attention to detail

The immediately obvious aspect of its appearance is also wholly exceptional: the technical and stylistic features of the prototype, which had surprised everyone at its first presentation, have been kept totally intact. This is not a marginal detail, given that very important changes are usually made between a prototype version of a motorcycle and the final production model. Indeed, in the case of the MGX-21 a considerable detail has been added: MGX-21 has become a large touring bike, with a pair of rigid side panniers that in no way distort that purity of design the prototype boasted, integrating harmoniously in the style of the back end. The 58-litre carrying capacity and the presence of convenient, removable internal bags guarantee space and practicality for world travellers. The external pannier covers are in carbon: the deep reflections that come from the fibre are combined with "total black" graphics that make the MGX-21 the darkest and most attractive bike from Mandello. This is a bike dedicated to those who appreciate fine aesthetics, the stimulating touch of the surfaces when they are caressed and the alternating volumes and textures that delicately explore the sensibility of a design rich in content.

The design of the MGX-21 leaves little room for indifference and, like all Moto Guzzis, begins by showing of the engineering of the big 90° transverse V-twin engine with two large cylinders that seem to literally explode out of the petrol tank, helping to make the side view considerably lower and streamlined. The red paint of the aluminium head covers emphasises the power this engine is capable of expressing, even in its aesthetics. Low in the back and raised at the front, MGX-21 tells you from the first glance that it is capable of eating up the miles smoothly. It's certainly no wallflower, but rather seeks to attract people's attention with its original shape and the mysterious nocturnal appearance created by the PADC (Piaggio Advanced Design Center) designers in California who conceived its look. Particular attention was given to the study and definition of the "batwing" design, the large top fairing that makes an essential contribution to the bike's futuristic look. Form and function once again come together in perfect balance: the careful fluid dynamics analysis with CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulations and the numerous test sessions in the wind tunnel have led to achieving optimum air protection capacity, a quality that a bike destined for long trips must possess. The shapes at the back also stem from the same studies and they are enhanced by carbon profiles and the dual series of built-in LED lights.

To celebrate such a personal, powerful and brave style, Moto Guzzi gave the MGX-21 the evocative soubriquet of Flying Fortress.

The Flying Fortress also stands out for meticulous and obsessive attention to detail: the spectacular headlight cluster uses LED DRL lighting technology, whereas the electrical controls on the handlebar are finished with metal shells. While respecting the solid century-old tradition, the MGX-21 reaches out to the future, employing materials typically used in the most advanced sports motorcycles. In fact, numerous parts are made of precious carbon, such as the front mudguard, the fuel tank panels, the side pannier covers and the engine cover. The new Moto Guzzi shows off a large 21" alloy front wheel, now protected by lenticular carbon covers with small openings where the spokes intersect with the channel. This stylistic choice also brings the technical advantage of increased stability and ease of handling due to the passage of air from one side of the hub to the other while the bike is in motion.

2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

SINUOUS LINES, DARK SOUL

Dedicated to those who love to travel in total relaxation without going unnoticed. The MGX-21 makes the Cruiser style and solutions its own, reinterpreting them in an original and distinctive way.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE PAST-

Forget all you know: we created MGX-21 to make you feel today what others will only experience tomorrow. MGX, known as Moto Guzzi eXperimental; 21 makes reference to the year the first motorcycle came out of the Mandello del Lario factory. Or, if you prefer, 21 like the inches of its front lenticular carbon fibre wheel.

2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress - www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $21990 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $23990 CDN

ENGINE
Type : 90° V-twin engine, 4-stroke, 4 valves, double ignition
Cooling system : through air and oil and an independent cooling pump. Oil radiator with thermostat controlled fan
Engine capacity : 1,380 cm³
Bore and stroke : 104 x 81.2 mm
Compression ratio : 10.5: 1

Maximum power : 71 kW (96.6 HP) at 6500 rpm
Maximum torque : 121 Nm 3,000 rpm

Fuel supply / Ignition : phased electronic Multipoint sequential injection, Magneti Marelli IAW7SM; "ride by wire" Ø 52 mm throttle body, IWP 243 Magneti Marelli injectors, double oxygen sensor, integrated management of 3 engine mappings, traction control, cruise control
Starter : Electric
Exhaust system : stainless steel, 2-in-2 type, three-way catalytic converter with double lambda probe
Emissions compliance : Euro 4

TRANSMISSION
Gearbox : 6 gears
Gear ratio values : 1st 17/38 = 1: 2.235
: 2nd 20/34 = 1: 1.700
: 3rd 23/31 = 1: 1.347
: 4th 26/29 = 1: 1.115
: 5th 31/30 = 1: 0.967
: 6th 30/24 = 1: 0.8

Primary drive : with helical teeth, ratio 26/35 = 1: 1,346)
Final drive : double cardan joint and fixed bevel gear seat, drive ratio 10/36 = 1: 3.6)
Clutch : single-disc with integrated anti-vibration buffer

CHASSIS
Frame : steel tubing, closed double cradle with elastic-kinematic engine mounting system to isolate vibrations
Wheelbase : 1700 mm
Trail : 187 mm
Headstock angle : 32°
Front suspension : standard fork , Ø 45 mm, with radial calliper mounting brackets

Front wheel travel : 107.7 mm
Rear suspension : Swingarm with double shock absorber with adjustable extension and spring preload with remote tank.

Rear wheel travel : 80 mm
Front brake : dual 320 mm stainless steel floating discs, Brembo radial callipers with 4 horizontally opposed pistons
Rear brake : 282 mm stainless steel fixed disc, Brembo floating calliper with 2 parallel pistons

Wheels
:
tubeless aluminium alloy
Front wheel rim : 3.50" x 21"
Rear wheel rim : 5.50" x 16"
Front tyre : 120/70 R21"
Rear tyre : 180/60 R16"

DIMENSIONS
Length : 2560 mm
Width : 920 mm
Height : 1275 mm
Saddle height : 740 mm
Kerb weight* : 341 Kg
Fuel tank capacity : 20.5 litres
Reserve : 5 litres

INFOTAINMENT
Audio system watts : 50
Loudspeakers : 2
Audio sources : AM/FM/MW/LW Radio
Interface languages : English, German, French, Spanish
Technology : MP3 connection; Bluetooth, Smartphone compatible in input; SD card; USB jump drive; iPod connection
Voice recognition : mobile phone with hands free - via Bluetooth

* Weight of bike ready to ride, will all fluids and no fuel
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: THIS WEEK: 2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

A Goose trying to be an HD.....meh at best, fail at worse.....plus those splashes of red on a blacked out bike look fugly beyound belief, almost fugly enough to distract from that stupid batwing fairing.
Always ask why.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

I really prefer the classic version of this bike but to each his own. For a cruiser, this thing is supposed to perform extremely well so I'll give it a cool.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#4 Unread post by faded sun »

I like the bike, but the red heads are distracting.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#5 Unread post by markdcoco »

Very interesting ride indeed. More info on the Guzzi rides can be found here (should there be any interest):

http://www.motoguzzi.com/mediaObject/mo ... -Range.pdf

I myself do like the Guzzi concept and styling (my first bike was a Honda CX-500... might have something to do with it). So many companies European to Asian have tried to build a HD type cruiser or look alike machine. Many with the same outcome... meh (if I may steal a descriptive phrase from a fellow rider/writer). There's a German meh... an Italian meh... many Japanese mehs... and on and on. I'm not a real fan of the heads being inset into the tank area, but seems to be a recent theme on nearly all Guzzi models.

I like the touch of color as it breaks up the entire "black" theme using something other than chrome or brushed metals or tank graphics. Others like Ducati and even HD will throw in a colored rear spring to break up the monotony. I myself am partial to red heads... so to speak.

As for the agreed fugly fairing... must be something European. I believe my BMW fairing to be fairly fugly... but functional. This doesn't mean that I like the HD fairings, that mostly look like the "O Ring" end of an elephant going down the road, but it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Tech specs aren't bad, for the price. I always find it interesting that you can get some of the most incredible race inspired technology in a crotch rocket for about $15k... but add $2k worth of fairing, bags, and electronics and the price jumps to $25k. Who's zoomin' Who???

Like it... and will most likely find a dealer and take a test ride. Not buying... just riding.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Red threw me off a bit, but for what it is trying to do I'll give it a cool.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I think Guzzis in general are awesome, and I like this platform, especially the Audace. Pretty much every bike in the Guzzi lineup looks effortlessly elegant, but Ceemes is right; this bagger is trying way too hard. Everything is overstyled; that 60's batmobile fairing, the Victory Vision-esque rear, the weird wheels. Heck, even the MGX-21 name is overstyled and so different from every other Guzzi bike. Uncool.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#8 Unread post by montanalifter »

I voted cool. Pricey though. I like the red cylinder heads, different. The fairing is nice because its different but then ummm, yeah just screams batmobile. I also like the oil radiator with thermostat controlled fan.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Odd, but I voted Awesome, even though I don't like the bike... but give me a chance to explain.

I definitely agree with those above, the 2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress is trying too hard to be cool. Which is incredibly odd, as Guzzi doesn't need to try hard to be cool at all because it's so unique in the first place. But with the MGX-21, they really went out on a limb (maybe a skinny one?), fortunately, the MGX-21 is based on the California 1400, which is an awesome cruiser/muscle bike platform in itself. Add in carbon fiber looks and blacked out treatment with accents, not bad.

The price is good, not super, but good. I think if you like anything touring model H-D, but wanted to TRULY be unique, then you really should give this one a go. I'd put the Cali 1400 up against any cruiser out there. Plus the Guzzi sound... like a small block Italian V8. :revv:

If you want to be Batman, the MGX-21 is right out of the movies. It WILL draw attention at any bike night and the creativity of the looks/design is really something special. Trying too hard? definitely. But you wouldn't buy an MGX-21 if you didn't WANT "over the top". Thus, awesome.

And really, it is awesome to see a manufacturer go outside of the box and do something unique, even if it is, odd. Hey, some people love odd.

The WWII Flying Fortress

Cyclenews Australia did a good review of it here:

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress - Coolness Factor =73.0%
Featured: April 14th, 2017 - April 21st, 2017
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54307
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rtress.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Flying Fortress is:

Awesome (3 points) 8
Cool (2 points) 10
Uncool (1 point) 2
Fail (0 point) 1

Total votes: 21

= a Coolwall Factor of 73.0%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: "On the roads it was a white-line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice" Oh wait, that was Mad Max Road Warrior. Interesting that the MGX-21 seems to almost come from that time and the MGX-21 accessory catalog should include linked .50 browning MG's, a spike dropper off the back and extra fuel tank saddlebags! To say the MGX-21 is unique is an understatement. Love it or hate it, you don't want it behind you fitted with MadMax accessories.

Mike

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!