Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT - Coolness Factor = 72.6%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 1000XT.htm

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT on www.Totalmotorcycle.com

MORE CONVENIENCE, MORE COMFORT, SIMPLY MORE V-STROM...

Introduced in 2002, the V-Strom 1000 expanded the popularity of motorcycles in the adventure-category. When a more proficient V-Strom 1000 debuted in 2014, it was also embraced by riders around the world. To reemphasize the V-Strom’s leadership in this category, Suzuki applies new technology and practical experience to the new 2018 V-Strom 1000XT.

Always a good citizen, this new V-Strom has refined systems to maintain engine performance and great fuel economy while achieving world-wide emission standards. To emphasize Suzuki’s adventure heritage the V-Strom’s exterior has undergone a transformation giving the motorcycle a hint of its lineage and a renewed call for adventure. That fresh styling also contributes to functionality and joins the new Motion Track Anti-lock* & Combined Brake System and other features to bring rider assist technology to a new group of adventure riders.

Like every V-Strom before it, the appeal and value of the 2018 V-Strom 1000XT will be recognized by experienced and enthusiastic riders. If you want to enjoy a trouble-free adventure as well, join them on a V-Strom.

* The Traction Control System is not a substitute for the rider’s throttle control. It cannot prevent loss of traction due to excessive speed when the rider enters a turn and/or applies the brakes. Neither can it prevent the front wheel from losing grip.

* The ABS is a supplemental device for brake operation, not a device for shortening stopping distance. Always remember to reduce speed sufficiently before approaching curves.

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

History of V-Strom series

First introducing the V-Strom 1000 in 2002 and attracting a wide variety of riders with its comfortable and enjoyable nature, the new generation adventure-tourer widened its lineup by releasing the V-Strom 650 in 2004, further gaining reputation and fans all over the world.

Although undergoing an update in 2004, the V-Strom 1000 momentarily was dropped from the European lineup due to the Euro 3 regulations in 2008. However, the V-Strom 650 continued to be present and in 2011, received a full-model change revising the engine, fuel supply, suspension, brake system, and updated its style with the newly designed cowling.

In 2013, the fully model changed V-Strom 1000 was re-introduced. Expressing the heritage from the desert racer DR-Z in its design by inheriting the Suzuki-original gBeakh style, the new V-Strom 1000 had largely evolved also with the installation of Suzukifs first traction control system. By this time, the growing adventure-category had roughly formed two classes, the 1200cm3 class and the 650cm3 class. Although increasing the engine capacity to 1037cm3 from the previous 996cm3, the V-Strom 1000 kept its unique capacity to provide the optimum adventure-model balance of ample power, light weight, high fuel economy and maneuverability, earning a reputation especially from experienced riders due to its characteristics. Proving its dependability, durability and its
ability for long distance touring, the UK magazine gBikeh completed a tour from Peterborough, UK to Hamamatsu through Eurasia continent.

As the market for large capacity motorcycles mature, the popularity and demand for models in the adventure-category has grown steadily, and is expected to continue to do so. The V-Strom 650 has been a large success achieving top sales in the 650-800cm3 class, and when the V-Strom 1000 made its return in 2014, it was also welcomed by fans around the world. However, with this category becoming more and more popular with strong competition, the V-Strom series decided this model change for both the 650&1000, updating and renewing the V-Strom brand to further appeal its personality. To emphasize the heritage of adventure models by Suzuki, the exterior has undergone a major change giving the V-Strom a hint of its ancestors and an exhilarated feel for
adventure. The new up to date styling also contributes to functionality, and a new feature for the V-Strom 1000 is the new gMotion Track Brake Systemh system. Both models now correspond to the new Euro 4 regulations while succeeding in heightening the attractions of the brand, appealing to the growing number of experienced and enthusiastic riders.

More Convenience, More Comfort, simply More V-Strom

As this large capacity adventure category evolves, some models have become larger, heavier, and to an extent, radical, putting off some riders from wanting to enjoy these motorcycles. Among these rivals, the V-Strom 1000 has proposed the gSports Adventure Tourerh approach with its 1037cm3 engine size and optimal balance of power, lightness and maneuverability along with a high level
of comfort and a total ease of use. The chassis and engine was engineered focused for on-road long-distance touring use, and has a forgiving character for real life use and even daily commutes. Its comfortable, high-performance, light weight and easy-to-get-on-with character has widely attracted many genuine riders in various riding situations. In this latest model change, the V-Strom 1000
has a new seat and cowling/windscreen design for improved comfort, while adopting the up to date technology gMotion Track Brake Systemh, all resulting in enhancing the convenient and comfortable V-Strom character, which now has a reputation globally. Additionally, a wire-spoke wheel equipped V-Strom 1000XT has joined the lineup, offering another option for the enthusiastic
adventure riders.

Major features:
Running performance
Powerful yet forgiving V-Twin engine with ample and usable torque from low RPMs.
Light weight and compact chassis.
Low seat height and upright handlebars offer a relaxing riding position.
Fully adjustable suspension on both front and rear.
3 mode (2modes and off) Traction Control system.
Newly adopted Motion Track Brake System. NEW

Utility
Smart and easy to attach/detach integrated three-luggage system (optional).
Understandable and easy to read instrument panel with rich information.
Newly shaped wind screen with height and angle adjustments. NEW
12V DC outlet positioned directly under the instrument panel.
Knuckle covers and engine under cowling now as standardequipment. NEW
Light operation Suzuki Clutch Assist System equipped with slipper-clutch function.
Suzuki Easy Start System enabling to start the engine with only one-push of the starter button. NEW
Low RPM Assist to support clutch engaging and low rpm riding. NEW

Features for pride of ownership
A new design with an emphasized gbeakh strongly associating with the DR-BIG. NEW
New tough bodywork by the concept of gTough Gearh. NEW
Vertically positioned headlights associating with the GSX-R and Hayabusa models.
Tapered handlebars standard for the V-Strom 1000XT. NEW
A rich variety of genuine accessories.

Engine design
The four-stroke, liquid cooled, DOHC, 1037cm3 90-degree V-twin engine is designed to perform optimally on various roads that riders will face during long distance touring. Supported by the plush torque which reaches its maximum at only 4000 rpm, this extremely usable and flexible engine will support the rider to enjoy situations such as congested city roads, stone-paved roads, highways, rural roads, and winding passes. By changing the inner components of the exhaust system and matching various engine settings, updating the evaporator and the air injection system, this model change has succeeded in corresponding to the Euro 4 regulations while maintaining the attractive performance character of the V-Strom 1000.

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT - www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $13299 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $14099 CDN

Engine
Engine 1037cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC 90-degree V-Twin
Bore x Stroke 100.0 mm x 66.0 mm (3.937 in x 2.598 in)
Compression Ratio 11.3 : 1
Fuel System Suzuki Fuel Injection, SDTV-equipped
Starter Electric
Lubrication Wet sump
Drive Train
Transmission 6-speed constant mesh
Clutch Wet, multi-plate type
Chassis
Suspension Front Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear Link type, single shock, coil spring, oil damped
Brakes Front Tokico 4-piston calipers, Disc, twin
Brakes Rear Nissin, 2-piston, Disc single
Tires Front 110/80R-19 M/C 59V, tubeless
Tires Rear 150/70R-17 M/C 69V, tubeless
Fuel Tank Capacity 20.0 L (5.3 US gallons)
Color TBA
Electrical
Ignition Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
Headlight 12V 65W (H9 high-beam) & 12V 55W (H7 low-beam)
Tail Light LED
Dimensions
Overall Length TBA
Overall Width TBA
Wheelbase TBA
Ground Clearance TBA
Seat Height TBA
Curb Weight TBA
Warranty
Warranty 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty. Coverage extension and additional benefits are available.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: THIS WEEK: 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Since last week we were talking about traveling and luggage on a bike, I present to you the new 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT!

I can't believe I didn't have this up sooner, the new V-Strom 1000...

Enjoy!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Still cool, if somewhat dated now......and that goofy looking nose cowling.......bleah.....
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

It has a "Low RPM Assist feature" to "automatically raise idle rpm when pulling away from stops or putting along at low rpm to alleviate the chance of stalling the bike". It also has a "combination element to the (braking) system that adds a measured amount of “stability enhancing” rear brake when the front is applied"

I wish manufacturers would stop this crap. When I want the rear brake on, I'll put it on, thank you very much. And I'd prefer to control the throttle myself. IMO if you can't adequately control the RPM with your hand on the throttle, you shouldn't be riding a bike this size in the first place. (I can also manage to parallel park my car without automated parallel parking assistance...... go figure.)

I'm being unfair picking on this manufacturer and this bike -- it's a good bike, a poor man's GS at a very fair price.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

jstark47 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:26 pm It has a "Low RPM Assist feature" to "automatically raise idle rpm when pulling away from stops or putting along at low rpm to alleviate the chance of stalling the bike". It also has a "combination element to the (braking) system that adds a measured amount of “stability enhancing” rear brake when the front is applied"

I wish manufacturers would stop this crap. When I want the rear brake on, I'll put it on, thank you very much. And I'd prefer to control the throttle myself. IMO if you can't adequately control the RPM with your hand on the throttle, you shouldn't be riding a bike this size in the first place. (I can also manage to parallel park my car without automated parallel parking assistance...... go figure.)

I'm being unfair picking on this manufacturer and this bike -- it's a good bike, a poor man's GS at a very fair price.
I concur.....waaaay too much tech/rider assist being put in to bikes these days.........what's next riderless bike, where all you do is sit of the silly thing and its does all the riding for you?????
Always ask why.

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#6 Unread post by markdcoco »

Well... I previously stated my thoughts about fairings and what most of them look like going down the road... and this one is no exception... it is Fugly! Doesn't detract from the over-technology of the machine, but not a device that supports my style of riding. As for the technology, there should simply be ways to either use it of not use it as you desire, rather than forcing it on us. I know when I bought my RT the last thing I ever thought I would use in AZ was the heated grips and seats, however... All the other techno stuff that was forced on me gets used on a "as remembered how" basis. Price seems reasonable (compared to a GS), even after you add in the expense of the bags and other assorted features. For me... absolutely not. But an interesting ride for some.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#7 Unread post by faded sun »

Not my thing, but a cool looking machine, and a model that has done well for the company for many years. A bit too much going on visually for my tastes. Would be nice to know how heavy it is to compare it to my ST 1300. I'm sure it's lighter though.

I haven't had a dirt bike or enduro since I was 20 and have yet to come across a road I wouldn't go down on the ST so I am probably not the target market for this bike. I just wonder how many of them actually see off-road use. You know what I mean? If I was headed for the Darien Gap I would be on a KLR, not a V-Strom. And it would have knobby's on the rims. Just sayin'.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#8 Unread post by montanalifter »

A link to a review, I think he does really good reviews.
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Review at FortNine.ca
I voted awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8r9d8ZAh8I

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I've always liked both the mid and full size V Stroms, and it's nice that the Strom is going to be available with tougher wheels. Part of the Strom's appeal though is how (relatively) uncomplicated it is, and that also makes it relatively affordable. Putting all sorts of electronic doodads on it dilutes that appeal, and might also make it more expensive, less accessible, and less reliable. I'm sure Suzuki invested a lot of research into this. Does the adv market (specifically, potential Strom buyers) really want more electronic complications?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome (I was going with Cool, but it was more Cool+)

Yes, I did own a 2007 Suzuki V-Strom650 before the whole "ADV" craze and I get it, dual sports are fun! They go anywhere and do everything well, like a standard does... but I'd still pick a standard over a dual sport due to it's lower height and flexibility. But my V-Strom was a great bike, big, but fun. The V-Twin engine in it really got me loving torque and shifted me more into high-revving torque bikes.

The V-Strom1000 (of the era) wasn't that good though and I haven't rode a V-Strom1000 since so I don't know about the new ones. My 650 was great off-road thanks to it's lighter weight and higher MPG to go further (700+km on a tank!), oh and cost less new too.

But for $14000 CAD, that isn't bad, I don't think the V-Strom is the "value bike" it once was, but quality and features have sure come up on it since 2007 (dual spark plugs and FI were big items then).

Is it a poor-man's BMW? No, I don't think so. The Suzuki won't cost you a lot in repairs, maintenance or insurance. Is it better than a KLR? Yes, in some ways, others not. The KLR is even more basic and more hardcore, but that does come at a price.

Mike