Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#329: 2018 Yamaha Star Venture - Coolness Factor = 76.5%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Yamaha Star Venture on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... re-review/

2018 Yamaha Star Venture

Power, Technology and Comfort Set New Standard for Luxury Touring Motorcycles

The all-new Star Venture touring motorcycle model combining a new level of power, technology and comfort features that will redefine the luxury touring motorcycle market.

JOURNEY FURTHER

Powered by an air-cooled 113 cubic inch (1854cc) V-twin fuel-injected engine, the Star Venture incorporates never-before-seen features on a touring model like forward-reverse ‘Sure Park’ parking assist, dual-zone audio capability, “Drive Mode” settings that adjust throttle response, traction control, adjustable rider backrest, heated grips as well as rider/passenger seats and backrests, a fully featured infotainment system and more. These features set the all-new Star Venture apart, while Yamaha’s renowned quality, performance and reliability plant it firmly on top of the luxury touring segment.

“The all-new Star Venture is one of the most highly anticipated and important new motorcycles to come from Yamaha in years, and everyone here is extremely excited to introduce this impactful new model to the world of touring enthusiasts,” said Mike Doughty, General Manager of Yamaha’s Motorcycle Group. “As the ‘Journey Further’ tagline indicates, the Star Venture will make you want to travel farther and experience more while enjoying the comfort, performance, and technology features you expect from Yamaha.”

2018 Yamaha Star Venture Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
◾High Torque Engine with Cutting-Edge Rider Aids
Featuring a torque-rich 1854cc air-cooled V-twin, Star Venture® produces smooth, effortless passing power even when fully loaded. And with ride-by-wire throttle control, traction control and selectable riding modes, Star Venture brings class-leading technology to the luxury touring class.
◾New Yamaha Sure-Park System
With Star Venture’s Sure-Park™ System, parking maneuvers are a breeze, even fully loaded. Controlled from the handlebar, an electric motor provides forward and reverse drive to assist during tricky parking situations, especially on rough or poor traction surfaces.
◾Integrated Infotainment System
With a high-output audio system and a large, high-mounted touch and voice controlled infotainment system, the Star Venture puts the rider in command. Music, navigation, communications and vehicle systems are integrated cleanly into a single system that sets new standards for two-wheeled technology.
◾Adjustable Ergonomics and Aerodynamics
Star Venture adapts to rider and passenger needs straight from the dealership floor, with adjustable ergonomics, wind protection and controls. Grip warmers and heated seats for both rider and passenger come standard, with a low seat height for confidence at every stop.
◾Advanced Chassis
Designed around a rigid chassis and advanced suspension systems, the Star Venture is built to offer Yamaha’s renowned handling ability when the road turns twisty, without losing the comfort or straight-line confidence expected from a luxury tourer.
◾Transcontinental Option Package
Riders that step up to the Star Venture Transcontinental Option Package benefit from a range of options, with enhanced infotainment features including GPS navigation, SiriusXM®, additional speakers and Yamaha’s exclusive Dual Zone audio control. Standard LED fog lights, additional onboard storage and an alarmed security system round out the package.

2018 Yamaha Star Venture – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $26,999 Granite Gray – Transcontinental Option Package
$26,999 – Raspberry Metallic – Transcontinental Option Package
$24,999 – Granite Gray,
$24,999 – Raspberry Metallic USD
Canada MSRP Price: $31,999 CDN

Engine Type 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled OHV V-twin; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke 100.0mm x 118.0mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T and D-Mode
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper wet clutch
Final Drive Belt
Suspension / Front 46mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock with remote preload adjustment; 4.3-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm; Unified Brake
System and ABS
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 320mm; Unified Brake System and ABS
Tires / Front 130/70R18 Bridgestone® Exedra
Tires / Rear 200/55R16 Bridgestone® Exedra
L x W x H 106.3 in x 39.9 in x 55.5 – 59.1 in
Seat Height 27.4 in
Wheelbase 67.6 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 31.0°
Trail 5.7 in
Maximum Ground
Clearance
5.5 in
Fuel Capacity 6.6 gal
Fuel Economy 34.0 mpg
Wet Weight*** Star Venture / Star Venture Transcontinental 957
lb / 963 lb
Warranty 5 Year Warranty Coverage* — *1 year limited
factory warranty + 4 years Yamaha Extended
Service = 5 years coverage.
Color Granite Gray – Transcontinental Option Package;
Raspberry Metallic – Transcontinental Option
Package; Granite Gray; Raspberry Metallic
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: THIS WEEK #329: 2018 Yamaha Star Venture - VOTE TODAY

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

NEW this year from Yamaha, the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture becomes our Week #329 motorcycle on the Cool Wall!

Vote, Discuss and Enjoy,

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#3 Unread post by montanalifter »

I like it a lot, voted awesome. Yes it is expensive but so are all big touring bikes. A lot of great features, big tank 6.6gal, very comfy looking seats, parking assist which is great with two up and a large bike like this. The reworked stratoliner motor will have plenty of power (gets pretty hot in the peak of summer though). I was hoping for a big liquid cooled triple or v4 but the motor will have plenty of power. No you do not need half the features on this bike but it would be great to take on long trips.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Yet another over priced, over sized, over weight and over gimmick'ed two wheeled lazy boy recliner......Fail....and no Gummy, not because it's a V-Twin, but because of what it is, I'd give Honda's Gold Wing the same rating for the same reasons.......if you want that level of comfort with all those tech doodads and boss stereo, then go and by yourself a soft top GT car such as the BMW 4 or 6 series.
Always ask why.

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#5 Unread post by markdcoco »

Big... yup. Heavy... yup. Love the design and the touring potential for this ride. Just two gripes:
- air cooled engine. while the current offering may be powerful enough there is absolutely no excuse for not using all engine cooling technologies available to make this ride smoother. may work well in Canada but not so here in AZ
- price is a bit steep to NOT already include everything in the "Transcontinental Option Package" I've got all that and more on my BMW for less.
At least this doesn't look like a giant sphincter coming at you on the road. Nice styling. Surely you won't have to wear ear plugs to ride this one (unlike so many other behemoths in this category) and you won't spend your post ride time picking the echto-skeletal portions of bugs out of your teeth, hair, or beard.
Awesome..............

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

Uncool. I wanted to like this bike, I really did. However, the more I read the less impressed I became. Yes, it has a fixed fairing and top opening hardbags, which are must haves IMO for big touring rigs, but that's about all I can find for positive notes. As for the negative...

Let's start with the motor... an 1800cc+ air cooled V-Twin. No. Just no. It is long past time to ditch the air cooled mills (and this includes Harley) and their ludicrous displacement wars. The Triumph Rocket III still has the edge in the "small willie compensation" contest to date, but at least it is liquid cooled and has more than two cylinders. This new Yamaha motor is nothing more than the latest entry in an outdated and overpopulated field and it needs to be quietly whisked out of sight and never to be heard from again. A bike this size and price should have a multi-cylinder, liquid cooled motor.

And speaking of price... $36k CDN???!!! I don't even...

Reverse AND forward parking assist... look, I'm okay with a reverse gear for bikes this size, but a forward assist? Really? Ever hear of 1st gear and slipping the clutch?

As a Service Tech, I shudder to think of the procedures involved with diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing any issues with one of these beasts. And that's all I got to say about that.

Only a 1yr LIMITED factory warranty, with what I am assuming is a 4yr extension available at added cost. Not cool.

One more rant about the price. For $36k you can get way more bang for the buck from the fine folks at BMW and Honda. And, yes, from Harley, although I'm usually the only one that thinks so.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#7 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

UnCool, for all the reasons already mentioned.
Not a Fail though, unlike a lot of these huge touring rigs this one is actually fairly attractive. That at least will save it from a Fail for my part.
And what's the point of all that luxury if you're only getting 200 miles between fill-ups? I'll confess this is the first I've noticed this particular quirk about the ultra-luxury touring bikes (maybe owing to be being hyper-sensitive to fuel range lately), but it seems unfortunate that more machines can't offer 250+ miles between fillups. Everything else aside, I'm sure this machine would eat highway miles while offering a level of comfort I can't begin to imagine -- shame you have to plan such frequent fuel stops. At least it's got that electric assist, you'll be bellying up to the trough regularly.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

JackoftheGreen wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:58 am Not a Fail though, unlike a lot of these huge touring rigs this one is actually fairly attractive.
Exactly the reason why I wanted to like it. Except for the oversized air scoops below the fairing (likely because of the oversized air cooled motor) this is one of the most eye catching designs I've seen in a while.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#9 Unread post by markdcoco »

Yes... it is pretty indeed:
pretty big and heavy
pretty difficult to maneuver requiring both forward and reverse assist
pretty engine technology starved
pretty bad on gas mileage
pretty expensive
I chose to take the high road for a change in my initial input, but am having second thoughts.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I kinda like those big scoops, it's a real muscular look and it reminds me of the VMax. I also really like how the top box is integrated into the pillion, and that front fairing is beautifully simple. It almost looks like the hood on the new Camaro, elegant but aggressive. If only those giant collectors were ram intake instead of cooling. :/ Still not the kind of machine I'd ever own, but impressive nonetheless.