#376-377: This or That? 2018 Ural Baikal vs 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 (WINNER)

This or That. Congratulations you won a motorcycle! Pick one:

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#376-377: This or That? 2018 Ural Baikal vs 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 (WINNER)

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

THIS? OR THAT! on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

Week #376 of the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

You just won a motorcycle, which one do you pick to take home with you and why?

Ok, so what you are all telling me you like the weird, odd-ball, fringe type bikes? Well, then this week you get your wish:

Last week's unique odd-ball vs this weeks new comer!

2018 Ural Baikal - vs - 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701

THIS:

2018 Ural Baikal
Information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... kal-review

Ural Baikal LE comes in new Baikal Blue metallic colorway with Yamal orange interior accents.

Standard equipped with our legendary on-demand 2 wheel drive and sidecar mounted spare wheel, this Ural is ready to take you far beyond the marked trails. Cut through the ice, literally, with the side mounted high carbon steel hatchet. Keep your vodka in the VSSL x Ural compact flask and light your campfire with Titan storm-proof matches.

Baikal LE features full protection with ceramic undercoating on the sidecar tub and interior of all 3 fenders. Combined with the standard issue sidecar windshield your bike and co-pilots will be full protected from the harsh gusts of Siberian winter.

Bring a friend and bring good music along – your Baikal has all weather proof portable Ural x Braven speaker installed ready for the road ahead!

The Ural Baikal Limited Edition was inspired by the world travelers who have crossed Lake Baikal’s frozen 400 mile surface on 3 wheels. Located in the heart of Russia, these riders inspire the next generation to look beyond the map, and layer up.

Total Built: 45 Units Worldwide
Available: October, 2017

Inspired by the Ultimate Ride Challenge

Each winter, 500 miles southeast of Irbit, Russia, home of the Ural factory, the world’s largest freshwater lake freezes creating over 400 miles of barren ice fields. Adventure seekers from across the globe navigate to discover one of the world’s most demanding rides, including the legendary semi-annual Ice Run.

In 2010, our friends Hubert Kriegel and Chinzo crossed Lake Baikal on their Ural sidecar in the middle of a particularly brutal Russian winter. They lived on Baikal for 2 weeks to complete their adventure battling -40°F wind chill and shifting snow drifts.

“Living on the frozen Lake Baikal I found my ultimate ride challenge. I survived relying on my Ural sidecar with my co-pilot Chinzo.” – Hubert

The Lake

Lake Baikal is the world’s largest and oldest freshwater lake. Located in the heart of Russia, Baikal contains 20% of the planet’s fresh water, enough to provide the world population drinking water for 40 years. Baikal is 400 miles long and the deepest continental body of water in the world with a maximum depth of 5,315 feet.

The average winter temperature is -6°F (-21°C) creating over 12,000 square miles of solid ice, thick enough to support cars and of course, sidecar motorcycles.

OR THAT:

2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701
Information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... 701-review

A POWERFUL URBAN ICON.

2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 Review on Totalmotorcycle.com:

The VITPILEN 701 is an immaculately designed street bike that offers a new perspective on urban motorcycling. Driven by a powerful single-cylinder engine, this compact and agile motorcycle is expertly crafted to deliver minimalist styling with exceptional performance and reduced to the bare essence of what a motorcycle should be. Created to suit the unique, progressive lifestyle of modern motorcycling, it delivers a more thrilling, honest and real bike experience.
The Husqvarna SVARTPILEN 701, a dark street explorer that is free of excess and reduced to its simplest form. This bike aims to appeal to an entirely new generation of motorcycle users. It’s for those less interested in the hype and hyperbole of modern day motorcycling and who prefer a simpler, timeless design approach. Its technologically advanced 4-stroke single-cylinder 692.7 cc engine is housed in an incredibly stripped down but progressive layout that offers excellent performance. It doesn’t need to be pigeon-holed or categorised – it just needs to be ridden. It is so simple and obvious that just by looking at it, any free-thinking rider should know exactly what it is intended to do. Ultimately, it’s as approachable as a motorcycle can be, it’s honest, and is there to be ridden by anyone wanting a raw and exhilarating riding experience.

A progressive street roadster that was designed to reflect the attitude and styling of a more modern and freethinking breed of rider. The design solution was to create a naked street bike to mark Husqvarna Motorcycles’ logical return to street motorcycling. This design driven, yet high-performing, motorcycle reveals the potential of the brand’s future vision. Its uniqueness is not limited to the aesthetics, although this will be instantly notable from the raw, natural and intuitive experience of riding it. Something fresh in the world of motorcycling was long overdue and using this as motivation, the brand set out to create a motorcycle that captures the timeless thrill of the ride by creating something functional, practical and simple.

Forget everything you know about contemporary street motorcycles, the VITPILEN range is innovative and progressive. Developed with a fresh perspective, reduced, pure and without industry influence, these motorcycles challenge all current design trends and use a clean, smart and less complicated way of creating a motorcycle. The simple yet progressive design approach is a thought provoking paradox where simplicity, ease-of-use and functionality meet innovative design and attention to detail.

A PURE AND AUTHENTIC RIDING EXPERIENCE
The VITPILEN range is a definitive and bold statement, which exhibits Husqvarna Motorcycles´ never-ending quest to pioneer new territory. Simply put, the VITPILEN aims at stripping away all unnecessary gimmicks and presents a motorcycle in its purest form. Their uniqueness is however not limited to aesthetics, as the designers set out to create a motorcycle that captures the thrill of the ride which is instantly felt in the raw, natural and intuitive riding experience.

The winner of this week's THIS OR THAT will go on and fight the challenger next week. The overall winners will be determined how many weeks they can beat the competition.

Enjoy!
Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

Re: #376: This or That? 2018 Ural Baikal vs 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701

#2 Unread post by montanalifter »

I voted for the Husqvarna. Here is a video from Royal Jordanian he likes it also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCm9D6Si2PI

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#3 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I’d totally ride around in Swedish chef mode.

Vitpilen Bork Bork.

Off to ikea!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, such a difficult choice, both are very unique motorcycles and will definitely grab anyone's attention at a local bike night!

Is there a 50/50 choice where I get both? No... darn. Well, I'm happy to have "won" either bike, both would be very interesting and cool. My practical side says "go with the 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 you won't regret it!" my impractical side says "No way, I'd go with the 2018 Ural Baikal, it is so impractically practical, plus you can ride in the winter too!"...

Well, it does look like I'm giving in to my impractical side then and going with the 2018 Ural Baikal again. So different, so unique, so fun looking and I've rode one and it is indeed fun (at street speeds, not sure about the highway).

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Anohter Wow.

It looks like another TIE... wow you guys/gals love you odd bikes, that is for sure!

So, lets run this for another week and see if we have a clear winner. :)

Go URAL or Go Vitpilen 701! Either one is a winner.

Mike

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#6 Unread post by markdcoco »

Sorry... thought I voted last time I was here. Just broke the tie...........

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, another tie, really?

I was going to logout and vote as a guest to break the tie, but that wouldn't be fair so I am going to leave the well deserved tie as-is and go a different decision route and choose which bike has the most positive replies of interest. This will set a new precident in how ties are now handled on the THIS or THAT Cool Wall going forwards that individual replies are more valuable than clicking a vote botton... may not be perfect but it is the best system to get people to discuss as well.

So under the new tie-breaker system that would be:

1) 2018 Ural Baikal = 1
2) 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 = 2 * WINNER *

Mike