Which used bike is right for me?

sruddy
Rookie
Rookie

Which used bike is right for me?

#1 Unread post by sruddy »

Hi,

I'm looking for an off road bike to used on my property. It has areas that I want to get to in a hurry without having to hike. I will be using it to possibly tote a chainsaw or other small tools and occasionally a wife or other passinger. When I'm by my self I will be doing some straight up hill climbing but the usual why up and down the mountian will be mostly zig zagging the grade. I have owned a Honda Shadow for about 3 years and have a motorcycle license so I do have some riding experience. I don't want a dog but I don't want to kill myself either. Price wise I would like to stay between $1000-$2000.

Thanks,

Steve Ruddy

Guerneville CA

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by emperorjordan »

I would look at a used yamaha XT225 or some other small dual sport, because, while you wont be taking it on the street, they are the only dirt bikes with passenger pegs, and they usually have places where you can mount a basket or something to carry stuff around.
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

Yep, what Jordan said.....

Yamah XT's, Suzki DR's, Honda XL's in various engine sizes are your best bet. If you plan on packing 2 people around, you might want to look at 350cc and up. Smaller bikes than that in class are very strained with 2 people and any incline.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

sruddy
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by sruddy »

OK thanks for the suggestions.

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by emperorjordan »

You also might want to look at a small ATV..... it can carry more tools and stuff... and might be a bit easier.... although I would get the bike, becuase it is more fun and can get more places.
- FMF Power Core 4
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

sruddy
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by sruddy »

You also might want to look at a small ATV..... it can carry more tools and stuff... and might be a bit easier
I would prefer to purchase a 4x4 but it won't work. I borrowed a Bobcat 4x4 and it couldn't make it up the steepest first hill. It wasn't that it didn't have the power but my place has no roads and the first hill I cleared a 6' wide hiking trail however it is going up a slope, it's steep and the soil is loose. The 4x4 got to the slantiest, steepest and loosest part and all four wheels spun and the whole 4x4 just dug in. I figured if I get a motorcycle I can get more speed and fly up. Is this a correct assumption? I t seems most are recommending a 250-350 four stroke. However nobody has metioned why a four stroke over a two stroke.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

4 strokes make power in a more controlable fashion compared to most 2 stroke dirtbikes. The also get better fuel milage and tend to need less upkeep over a season. 2 strokes can be 'pipey' and harder to ride at less than full speed.... and there is a dramatic shortage of 2 strokes with buddy pegs available in North America.... thank-you California :evil: Stick to your granola and sushi and let the rest of the continent ride whatever we want, O.K.?
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by emperorjordan »

tell me about it..... CA is probably the worst place as far as bike laws.
- FMF Power Core 4
- Dunlop D606 Tires