Straightening Handlebars

wickedrider
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Straightening Handlebars

#1 Unread post by wickedrider »

The Honda 750 that I low sided and broke the screw in the frame, (yeah, it's me again) the handlebars were knocked out of line with th front wheel. How do I straighten them. I know on bicycles, we would just sit on the fender and straighten them. A 500 lb. bike is a little more difficult.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

If the handlebars are bent you'll need to straighten them out or replace them. Of course the accident may have tweaked the forks, and that is more involved. In that case try loosening everything up front, lining it back up and tightening it back up. If the fork tubes are bent then you'll need to replace the tubes.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#3 Unread post by flw »

Other than a completely blown fork seal, you could have a slow leaker waiting till you hit a pot hole or something else. Assuming you can at least ride it, check where the outer forks meet the inner forks for any droplet size fluid there or that may have run down the fork shafts. If you have a slow leak it should show it self by riding it and hitting some normal bumps that you would normally just swerve around. This is to stress the seal a little more than usual. No dirt biking please or pot holes from hell. :shock:

I am assuming that you have enough fluid left to leak in my example above. If not, I would expect your front end to be bottoming out or very mushy depending on any inner spring strength if at all.

Handle bars are another story. To bend them without heat is asking for serious trouble (unseen cracks etc...). Too much heat and you can create new safety problems. Since handle bars are the most important safety item on your bike (that they don't brake while riding) I would take it to a pro. Depending on the time/money to take everything off and then back on the bars, I would then decide if I wanted it to be repaired or replaced.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

The549
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by The549 »

I had a similar issue (I believe I have a bent triple clamp, another big possibility with you) and got an enormous person to tension the wheel/forks straight as I loosened and re tightened the forks.

Check for oil leaks on the fork, scratches on the inner fork tube, triple clamp (if you can/want to), fork tube straightness (when you next remove), maybe more things that I'm missing.

tim conroy
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by tim conroy »

get new handle bars.they are cheap and bent one are a pita to try to bend back to normal.You will never get them right.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Sev »

Handlebars don't really like being bent. You're far better off just getting new ones, as bending them back may cause them to break.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

nrimkus
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

What do I loosen up?

#7 Unread post by nrimkus »

I also have bars that do not line up right with the wheel. I just recently purchased my first street bike and the person before me had set it down pretty good. I know the handlebar is bent some but the Forks seem tweaked a little too. I plan to replace the handlebar when I get the money. I was wondering if the big nut in the center is what I should loosen and re tighten to straighten out the forks. There does not seem to be any damage to them have ridden it for some time now and not noticed any leaks. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Just remember we all got into this to have fun on a motorcycle.

tanyaacatherine
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Straightening Handlebars

#8 Unread post by tanyaacatherine »

The handlebars are a separate part that can be changed out fairly easily. The one caveat I would have is that if the bike's geometry was designed with flat handlebars in mind, putting dropped bars on it might make for an uncomfortable riding position. A good bike shop should be willing to swap out the handlebars for you and let you 'test drive' the new configuration to see if it's to you liking.
------------------------
Tanyaa
Internet Marketing

mydlyfkryzis
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 1976 CB360t, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750

#9 Unread post by mydlyfkryzis »

If your handlebars are not bent, but don't line up with the forks, the forks may have twisted in the triple clamps.

If you loosen the front axle retainer bolts and the upper triple clamp bolts (leave the lower tight), you can twist the forks back to alignment. I dropped my CB360t once, and that is what happened.

After loosening the bolts, stand at the front of the bike with the front wheel held between your legs. You then can twist the handlebars back and forth until the forks are back in alignment. Retighten all bolts.

If the handlebars themselves are bent, they are relatively cheap, just replace them .
Richard - Fully Dressed

Naked 1991 Honda NightHawk 750
Naked 1976 Honda CB360T