CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

Ride all winter long (?)

#1 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

NB: This info borrowed from another Forum!

Check out the Fieldsheer Highland II Suit. You can ride year round in it. I have ridden at 30 degrees without any penetration. The thermal lining keeps you warm. No complications with heated gear. It is 100% waterproof/windproof. The thermal lining zips out and the suit has zippered vents so the suit can be worn in the spring, summer, and fall. The suit has shoulder, arm, back, hip, knee/shin armor and a reinforced seat. I cannot say enough for this suit.

Buying this suit is the best thing I have ever done. I'm mad at myself for putting my bike in the garage for the last 6 winters. I could have been riding the whole time like I did this winter. Follow this link ---->

http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/web3/ ... landii.htm
Last edited by CentralOzzy on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

You appear to be stuck on repeat or skipping there, CentralOzzy!

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#3 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Ahh....Yes, thanks Dude.

All fixed! ;)

talldude
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by talldude »

Hey CentralOzzy, would you mind sharing the usual low/high temperatures you have during the winter/summer months where you live?

I'd love to buy just one riding suit for year round riding but most of the people I talk with say that they need two separate jackets for those months because the other one is either too hot or too cold.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#5 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

talldude wrote:Hey CentralOzzy, would you mind sharing the usual low/high temperatures you have during the winter/summer months where you live?

I'd love to buy just one riding suit for year round riding but most of the people I talk with say that they need two separate jackets for those months because the other one is either too hot or too cold.
Sure:
The following chart outlines Alice Springs' monthly climate averages as an indicator for the whole central region.
Mar - May
Min average temperature - 12C (55F)
Max average temperature - 27C (82F)
Jun - Aug
Min average temperature - 3C (37F)
Max average temperature - 20C (68F)
Sept - Nov
Min average temperature - 14C (57F)
Max average temperature - 30C (86F)
Dec - Feb
Min average temperature - 20C (69F)
Max average temperature - 35C (95F)
To see what the Temp. is right now, go to www.centraloz.biz & look on the left side of the page.

talldude
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by talldude »

Thanks! :D

Do you consider yourself pretty sensitive to either hot or cold? Which makes you more uncomfortable when riding and the temp isn't just right?

On the days that the temp in your area is in the low 30s or high 20s, are you comfy enough in that suit?

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by Dichotomous »

the coldest time you've got there isn't THAT bad... get insulated gear and you should be ok. your hands would benefit from heated gloves and handguards though. I used to find my hands would chill to the bone before I got handguards, now I find my neck gets coldest (45F mornings, 85F afternoons, 75-80F ride home) in the mornings cause I dont wanna bring a turtle-fur (neck gaiter).
basically, look for skiing stuff or snowboarding stuff, that will work out pretty well for you.
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....

celt
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by celt »

i live in upstate NY and bought one of those suits a couple years ago.

it's REALLY warm. in fact, i never wore it with the liner, because the suit was so warm without it...i would even be too hot if i had to walk around in it for too long...

the problem with it (or actually ME) is that when i bought it, i was a lot fatter...so when i ordered it i had to get a 4XL (where i would usually wear a 2XL) to fit my waist...and it DID fit my waist, but it's made for somebody who's big AND tall (i'm only 5'9") so the armor doesn't fit exactly where it should.

i dunno if the waist will fit me this winter..i've lost quite a bit of weight.

i should try to sell it. it's a very good suit for a very good price.

talldude
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by talldude »

celt wrote:i live in upstate NY and bought one of those suits a couple years ago.

it's REALLY warm. in fact, i never wore it with the liner, because the suit was so warm without it...i would even be too hot if i had to walk around in it for too long...
What about during the summer months? Does it have enough ventilation to keep you cool in the hot part of the NY summer?

Is the material pretty thick? I just wonder how well it would do in a crash. On that type of a suit, is the armor the main thing that protects you or is the material itself supposed to keep you from getting road rash as well?

Thanks for adding to the thread! :)

EDIT: Also, is this the type of suit that you can wear over regular clothes? If so, how easy is it to get in and out of?

celt
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by celt »

well, now that i think about it, i'm NOT normal when it comes to being on a bike in cold temps:

i ride about a half hour to work.

i've ridden in 20 degrees F in regular denim jeans, cotton long underwear, a tshirt, sweatshirt and a leather jacket.

so when i say i get too hot with the suit on, a 'normal' person might not be hot at all.

with that said, i've never even thought about wearing that suit when it was over 45 degrees F.

now that i've lost a lot of weight, this winter i might start thinking about it more....

oh, and the temperatures here in Syracuse, NY are the worst of both ends of the spectrum. we usually get over 100 inches of snow, and this winter we had a week where it didn't break 30F. our summers have been brutal lately, going up in the 90s with horrible humidity...you sweat just sitting...luckily it's only been like that a couple times this year so far.

i usually ride from the end of march (if the snow and most of the roadsalt is gone) till the snow falls in october/november. before i had a brand new bike, i'd take it out whenever the roads weren't snowy or icy, but the road salt will make a bike rust in less than a season.

i usually wear jeans/longjohns and a leather jacket, but like i said, i might start thinking about wearing a suit earlier and later in the year.

this particular suit i probably wouldn't recommend for year round unless you live somewhere it doesn't get over 70. i just don't think it's ventilated enough. well, do you wear a motorcycle jacket AND pants year round now? if so, this might not be too bad. i'm just not used to wearing anything but jeans...

the material is pretty thick, thicker than my other textile jacket. i think it would be fantastic in a slide, to be completely honest. in fact, the first time i wore it was the first time i ever scraped a peg...simply because i felt confidence i hadn't before and took a corner on a really low lean.

oh, i read the description of the suit oz has, and mine must be the highland I, not the II, because mine doesn't seperate the jacket from pants, it's like overalls. yes it goes over clothes, and it's not too hard to get on/off.

i got mine off of ebay from Brockton for less than retail, i think around $200. at that price, you can't go wrong even if you only use it a couple months out of the year.