Opinions on Bonneville / Sportster

sx66gns
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Opinions on Bonneville / Sportster

#1 Unread post by sx66gns »

(I did search , could not find definitive Opinions on the Bonneville America)

Hello , I'm looking to buy a small cruiser and need some advice , the two bikes I'm digging are 07 Sportster 883L & Triumph Bonneville America , anyone have any opinions on how these two bikes compare to each other or alternatives that I may be overlooking?

Thanks , 6

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

I don't know much of anything first hand about the sportster. But I've worked with the Triumphs for a while now.

The Bonni's are pretty cool bikes. Inline twin 900cc's I've seen them hit a top speed of 190km/h. Not that we'd ever go that fast. They're fairly comfortable to sit on, but I find the steering to be somewhat... floppy? The front wheel tips a lot at slow speeds, it requires that you be somewhat careful at parking lot speeds. On the highway she's nice and smooth, pulls strong to well above the legal limits.

The gastank is kind of small, it doesn't have the hugest range, but it does well regardless. Even at redline she'll pull for a long ways.

The carbs are almost invariably dirty out of the box :P The mechanic has to clean them before the bike can be ridden.

Next year they will all be switched to EFI (08) so it may be worthwhile to wait for an 08 model.

Other then that, they're a solid bike, they don't come back for anything except for standard maintenance work, and I've not seen one break down unless the owner was doing something that he shouldn't have.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

sx66gns
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by sx66gns »

Sev wrote:I don't know much of anything first hand about the sportster. But I've worked with the Triumphs for a while now.

The Bonni's are pretty cool bikes. Inline twin 900cc's I've seen them hit a top speed of 190km/h. Not that we'd ever go that fast. They're fairly comfortable to sit on, but I find the steering to be somewhat... floppy? The front wheel tips a lot at slow speeds, it requires that you be somewhat careful at parking lot speeds. On the highway she's nice and smooth, pulls strong to well above the legal limits.

The gastank is kind of small, it doesn't have the hugest range, but it does well regardless. Even at redline she'll pull for a long ways.

The carbs are almost invariably dirty out of the box :P The mechanic has to clean them before the bike can be ridden.

Next year they will all be switched to EFI (08) so it may be worthwhile to wait for an 08 model.

Other then that, they're a solid bike, they don't come back for anything except for standard maintenance work, and I've not seen one break down unless the owner was doing something that he shouldn't have.
Thanks for the input , it's greatly appreciated.

Gatineau_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Opinions on Bonneville / Sportster

#4 Unread post by Gatineau_Guy »

sx66gns wrote:(I did search , could not find definitive Opinions on the Bonneville America)

Hello , I'm looking to buy a small cruiser and need some advice , the two bikes I'm digging are 07 Sportster 883L & Triumph Bonneville America , anyone have any opinions on how these two bikes compare to each other or alternatives that I may be overlooking?

Thanks , 6
I can't comment on the Triumph but my wife bought an 07 Sportster 883 Custom this spring. I also think it is a cool bike. It handles well in town and out on the highway. The power is not bad, although I doubt it would do 190 like the Triumph. Its got lots of grunt down low but anything above 120-130 km/h the oomph begins to disappear. It will cruise easily at 110-120 km/h.

The ride is quite smooth, with a little bit of vibration/shake when the bike is idling. This disappears completely once forward motion begins. She added a windshield to the bike because highway speeds for any length was a little tiring due to wind.

The fuel consumption is not bad at all. She can go 200 km on 10 litres of fuel or around 5 litres per 100 km. My one complaint though concerns the low fuel light. The tank is a 17 litre tank. Therefore it has an estimated range of just over 300 km. The low fuel light comes on with 7 litres of fuel left. And by complaint, it doesn't bother me enough to get them to adjust the low fuel light.

And I love the sound of the bike. :D

Cheers,
Gatineau_Guy

feliz
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by feliz »

Hi 6, you're not getting too many responses so I'll chirp up. I don't own the America but have an 03 Bonnevlle which has been the most trouble free and pleasurable bike to ride of any bike I've owned. I've had absolutely no problems in three years, including no rust of any kind.

If I were going to buy a Harley it would definately be the Sportster though.

feliz -
1975 Yamaha XS650
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
2001 Kawasak W650
2009 Susuki Bandit 1250
1977 Kawasaki KZ400
1982 Yamaha SR250 Exciter
2011 Honda CBR251R

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

Hey, Feliz - nice stable of bikes you have there. I have an '05 Ural Tourist and run a club for Ural and Dnepr riders, you're welcome to check it out (and join up!) at: http://www.curd-riders.ca
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

DustyJacket

#7 Unread post by DustyJacket »

I had a different Sportster - a 1200C - and it was a great bike. With the addition of a Sundowner seat I took it cross country and used it for commuting to work. I can heartily recommend it.

The only reason I am not still riding it, is I wanted more protection with a fairing and windshield so I would ride it more in rainy/cold weather, and I wanted the better handling a sport tourer gives over a cruiser.
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

feliz wrote:Hi 6, you're not getting too many responses so I'll chirp up. I don't own the America but have an 03 Bonnevlle which has been the most trouble free and pleasurable bike to ride of any bike I've owned. I've had absolutely no problems in three years, including no rust of any kind.
The America, Bonneville, T100, Thruxton, and Speedmaster are all basically the same bike. Just different handlebars, engine covers, or footpeg positions. It's a good idea on Triumphs part (in my opinion) because parts are fairly interchangable, and they don't need to worry too much about figuring out a new set of electrical problems or routing issues when they design a newer bike.

I'm only mentioning this because your experience with the Bonni speaks very well of the America in this case.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#9 Unread post by Gummiente »

Sev wrote:The America, Bonneville, T100, Thruxton, and Speedmaster are all basically the same bike. Just different handlebars, engine covers, or footpeg positions.
Not to mention different frames, rake/trail setups, wheel sizes and engines. :roll:

The America and Speedmaster use a 270 degree 865cc parallel twin, while the rest of the Bonneville lineup uses the 360 degree 865cc motor.

Dammit, Sev, DO YOUR RESEARCH!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#10 Unread post by slimcolo »

Last 900 (883) Sporty I had was a 66. Stock XLCH. It topped at just under 115mph, when the valves started floating. Vibrating excessively above 90. Newer bikes should run better/faster/smoother. (but leave it to the Motor company to see that they don't) Newer 883s are more reliable and smoother but a lot slower than a 40yr old Sporty.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842