The Motorcycle as Primary Transportation thread

Jadien
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Jadien »

lunchmeat wrote:.... I almost rode off without fastening the chin strap to my helmet - I was at the end of the parking lot before I noticed....
:) If I had a nickel for every time I've done that, I'd have at least a couple hundred bucks by now.
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

2004 SV650S

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#12 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Jadien wrote:
lunchmeat wrote:.... I almost rode off without fastening the chin strap to my helmet - I was at the end of the parking lot before I noticed....
:) If I had a nickel for every time I've done that, I'd have at least a couple hundred bucks by now.
lol, so have I. It's gotten to the point where I can strap it one handed if need be. :laughing:

But anyway, to add to the thread. Bike choice might want to be considered. Sure, a 1000RR might seem fun as your only mode of transport, but once you have to do a trip on superslab for 100 miles, you may be singing a different tune. Not saying DON'T buy the 1000RR, but consider practicality as a big thing to look for.

For my move I'm in the early early stages of planning, one of the things I'm considering is a new bike that's designed to gobble miles. Something you'd see at a BMW rally would be nice :laughing: Sure, the ninja is great for distance, but it can get cramped, ecspecially for me and my rather stocky frame. Having both the Ninja AND a BMW for commuting would be nice...
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#13 Unread post by Skier »

totalmotorcycle wrote: You have to watch out for the black ice on the road, gravel in the corners and treat the road and ride like it's raining.
This may be nitpicky, but I think that's the wrong approach. You have about 80% of dry traction available when it's wet out. When there's snow on the ground or the possibility of snow on the ground, one should ride as if there's about 15% of dry traction available. This can help a great deal when it comes to actually stopping for intersections if you do find that patch of black ice. :shock:
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ElChado87
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by ElChado87 »

I recently replaced my car thanks to the insurance alone costing more annually than to ride, so here is a tip, watch what kind of bike you ride! I bought a 2006 Suzuki SV650S, based on some good reviews of the SV650N (Naked), and the price was right. But I should have paid more attention to rider position, the reviews said the SV650 was comfortable as you sat fairly upright, when I asked the dealer about the difference between the SV650S and the plain SV650, he told me it was just that the S had a mini fairing and twin headlights, but failed to mention, or even notice himself, that the riding position is much more aggressive as the handle bars are clip-ons on the S, not the more traditional clamp style, thus giving more of a racing position. Fun at first but on a long run its very tiring on the wrists, and changing out the clip-on is a costly venture ranging from putting on taller Hawk GT clip-ons that fit, to installing costly convertibars http://www.convertibars.com/ to swapping all the components from an SV650N to an S. Where possible I would recommend NOT getting a sport bike, or anything with an aggressive riding position.
Just a thought. :wink:
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#15 Unread post by sv-wolf »

ElChado87 wrote:Where possible I would recommend NOT getting a sport bike, or anything with an aggressive riding position.
Just a thought. :wink:
Well, in principle I'm with you 100% on that one, ElChado, but I'd have to say that having ridden an SV1000S for three years as my only means of transport I have few complaints. If I sit up near the tank, I am nearly upright. Having a full fairing helps to keep the weather off, and the standard screen is very good. The bike's aerodynamic screen means I don't have to tuck in much at speed and can keep a fairly comfortable position. Having said that, comfort is very personal and it will probably depend on the rider's size and proportions.

The SV1000S is the best all-rounder imaginable. I commute to work on it every day, I do a fair bit of motorway riding on it, I joy ride on it and I take it on long tours and camping trips. The most I have ever ridden on it in one day is round about 800 miles. I got off stiff and a bit creaky on that occasion but that was the worst of it. With a bit of ingenuity I can get a hell of a lot of luggage on it using just soft panniers, tank bag and cargo nets, plenty enough for a long camping trip. It's a great bike for almost any use you want to put it to.

Of course, it is not as comfortable as many an upright tourer for long-distance riding, but unless you can afford a whole stable of bikes you are going to have to make some compromises On the SV1000S the compromises are very manageable.

My new Daytona 955i, on the other hand is definitely a fun bike. Long trips can be quite tiring and painful on the wrists. I have very small wrists and they don't take too much punishment without becoming very uncomfortable. However, I'm told by other Daytona riders that a good set of bar risers will make a lot of difference. Still, I've kept the SV for now, if I want to go any distance.

For anti-fogging I used a Fog City insert for a year or so. That was very good, but I got a pinlock on my last helmet and that is amazing. Fogging? I've had the pinlock about a year now and I can't remember what fogging is like!
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

ElChado87
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by ElChado87 »

I agree with you there too, I do enjoy the fairing, but I find that on the highway I get some severe helmet buffeting, but Givi makes a spoiler to fix that problem for about 120 CDN. But I have managed to cram a lot of stuff onto into, including a huge rear sportstand. That another complaint about the SV650, at least 2nd gen, is no center high stand. Makes chain maintenance on the road a bit trickier, but I did find an SW-Motech stand though it is pricey plus a tricky install. So I would also try and get a bike with a factory center stand. But I am lovin this bike as a daily rider, good mileage, more than enough power to get into trouble with, and it's rather light and handles well for two-up riding.
2nd consideration-- How much 2-up riding will you be doing? I know my lady does not appreciate a long ride on the pillion, and with this being our one vehicle, it sometimes gets in the way of trips. So maybe consider your passengers a bit too if you plan on having a few. :mrgreen:
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#17 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Ah yes. I agree. The pillion seat is not that comfortable on either the SV650 or the SV1000. If anyone is going to do a lot of two-up riding then they would need to look elsewhere. To be fair, though, the pillions on both models are reasonable for sports bikes. I think they are OK for short or shortish rides.

From what I can remember of my SV650, I got more wind buffeting on it than I get on the SV1000, but I think a lot depends on how fast you like to ride!!!!!

The handling on the SV1000 is harder work than on the 650. That would be the main negative comparison I would make between the two, but it depends what you want out of the bike. Some people would find that a plus.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

lunchmeat
Veteran
Veteran

#18 Unread post by lunchmeat »

Here's one.

If you have a mesh jacket and you have a liner, always carry it with you. Find a way.

Because you'll regret it if you don't, which is no fun.
-lunchmeat

sasuke
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by sasuke »

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have a question about a Motorcycle being the primary transportation. I plan to buy a bike soon, possibly 250cc, but no more than 500cc of course.

But my main question is, I plan on commuting once every week, or every other week. It's about a 3-4 hr drive. Visiting the girlfriend. I would get a car, but I have a lot of bills to pay too. So I plan to Cash a starting bike.

My job involves/relies on a lot of driving and safety. I know no one is a perfect driver, so please don't flame on it. I plan on taking the Motorcycle Classes too to teach you how to Ride, and all the other good stuff. And yes, I plan to also ask a lot of questions. Even this one again.

But coming from vet riders, do you think it's a good idea to be buying a Motorcycle to use for 4hr drive commutes, every now and then, if I can't do the every week or every other week? Or are my dreams of riding shut down and I should just buy a car? Really love to hear any response. This is the main fear/question in my mind. Thanks.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#20 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

4 hours? that's it? :wink: just kidding. Just keep on regular maintenance, and the bike will take you on 40 hour rides without any issues. Though your butt might not like you after 40 hours in the saddle :laughing:
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]