RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

Faired vs Naked - what is the reality with wind

#1 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

So, as I indicated in a couple of posts I sat on a few bikes.

The best for me position wise was a Honda 919. The best everything else wise and almost as good was the Interceptor - except for price.

919 has no fairing at all. The Interceptor is fully faired.

In the beginning of riding - I had issues with wind - now - not so much.

So, for practicality - anyone ridden similar bikes faired/non-faired and can state as objectively as possible - how much more significant is the wind?

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

There are several aspects to this: 1) wind chill, 2) protection from buffeting, 3) susceptability to cross winds.

1) Fairing is good for defeating maybe 15 degrees of wind chill. I.e. I can ride extended periods at 15 degrees colder on a faired bike. My Bonneville is totally naked, no screen, nothing. Below 45 degrees extended rides become an exercise in endurance. However the 1/2 faired Vstrom and full faired Trophy are comfortable at 30 degrees and below.

2) Fairing can reduce fatigue from wind buffeting IF it's set up right for you. However fairing can also concentrate the wind stream at one place. A naked bike lets the clean air stream hit you all over - it's not as bad as you might think.

3) Full faired bikes can be a handful in cross winds, there's a lot of sail area for the winds to push on.

So it's not a black and white thing. There are good and bad points to faired and naked bikes.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#3 Unread post by Brackstone »

I went from my Ninja 250 (Faired) to my Shiver (Naked).

The windchill does really help as I can be standing outside and feel alright but the second I start moving it gets brisk. I've noticed that when it's like 50 degrees out I'm ok up to 40MPH and when it's 40 degrees out I'm ok to like 30 etc. etc.

But the chill only really bothers me in my hands well my fingers to be precise, I find my jacket and pants to always be sufficient.

My Solution? I went out and bought some hand guards for my Shiver.

The wind was scary at the beginning but I just pushed through it and got over my fears. Now I think being Naked is awesome IMO. I love feeling the wind push against me as I travel at high speeds. Plus it keeps me safe because everything feels that much faster. When I'm on the Highway doing 75 I really don't feel like changing lanes or making any "Aggressive" moves.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#4 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

jstark47 wrote:There are several aspects to this: 1) wind chill, 2) protection from buffeting, 3) susceptability to cross winds.
That was really good. I suppose on the flip side during the summer a naked bike would be better because it would be cooler at highway speeds.

I'm probably leaning toward faired bikes, though. When I do my commute it seems my gear, in particular my gloves fail miserably to hold in enough heat. I'd ride in tomorrow to work, but there is still a lot of snow out there and it melted a lot today but those run-off trails will all be frozen when I ride in the morning.

I think three weeks ago Sunday was the last time I rode - it was a test ride to my work. Everything failed - on the way home I had to stop at a rest stop for 30 minutes to warm up enough to make it home.

Dealing with wind using the fairing as a said and the cross winds - isn't as important to me. At least right now. Maybe we'll have a windier climate with global warming and I'll change my mind. :) just kidding.

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Brackstone wrote:I went from my Ninja 250 (Faired) to my Shiver (Naked).

The windchill does really help as I can be standing outside and feel alright but the second I start moving it gets brisk. I've noticed that when it's like 50 degrees out I'm ok up to 40MPH and when it's 40 degrees out I'm ok to like 30 etc. etc.

But the chill only really bothers me in my hands well my fingers to be precise, I find my jacket and pants to always be sufficient.

My Solution? I went out and bought some hand guards for my Shiver.

The wind was scary at the beginning but I just pushed through it and got over my fears. Now I think being Naked is awesome IMO. I love feeling the wind push against me as I travel at high speeds. Plus it keeps me safe because everything feels that much faster. When I'm on the Highway doing 75 I really don't feel like changing lanes or making any "Aggressive" moves.
I might have to check in to hand guards - for either my current bike or whatever it is I get. I don't mind riding in cold - 26 degree weather like tomorrow - as long as there isn't any wet/frozen stuff on the road, I'll ride.

It is funny though... The things you'll never know - even going for a test ride on a bike - and have to make the decision to buy it. I guess it doesn't matter for most riders that do it for the joy of riding. But I want to commute and a bike has to be as near-car level as possible.

But there ain't no way I'm going to kick 20K+ for a Gold Wing. I'd need to make a few more grand a year for that.

I do like your idea about controlling the aggressive nature of riding by feeling you are moving faster with the wind resistance and stuff like that.

RhadamYgg

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Well not all of that is necessarily true either.
For example, when I rode a Triumph Speed Triple 955i I didn't even feel a decent amount of wind until I hit 90. Otherwise it felt like a fully faired bike, even though it was naked.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

RhadamYgg wrote:I suppose on the flip side during the summer a naked bike would be better because it would be cooler at highway speeds.
You betcha. My wife’s Trophy is well known for slowly cooking the rider in a traffic jam in the summer – the amount of heat coming up under the fairing is impressive!
RhadamYgg wrote:
Brackstone wrote:My Solution? I went out and bought some hand guards for my Shiver.
I might have to check in to hand guards - for either my current bike or whatever it is I get.
The Vstrom 1000 comes with stock handguards and I highly recommend them for cold weather - anything that takes a sensitive part of your body out of the direct blast of frigid air helps immensely.
Wrider wrote:Well not all of that is necessarily true either.
For example, when I rode a Triumph Speed Triple 955i I didn't even feel a decent amount of wind until I hit 90. Otherwise it felt like a fully faired bike, even though it was naked.
Yeah, but was that your main bike then? How long were your rides? Wind fatigue really builds up on all day rides - on an hour-long ride you might not even notice.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

To be fair it was just a 20 min. test ride. But at the same time I was comparing it to my Volusia and the sportbikes I've ridden. Unless you're tucked even a sportbike doesn't offer must protection.
It had much less windblast than the Volusia and the supersports I've ridden is what I was getting at.
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

If it's your main bike consider that the 919 is setup more for performance- which means more maintenance. Personally, I find the interceptor to be the superior bike for reasons well beyond faired/unfaired. Higher reliability, less maintenance, wicked sweet swing arm, better body positioning allowing all day riding, one of the smoothest motors ever, better parts availability and a huge owner support group
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Wrider wrote:Well not all of that is necessarily true either.
How long did it take you to get to 90? Just kidding... I noticed that some naked bikes have a really wide tank or other features that might help serve to deflect the wind.

RhadamYgg