Problems with online equipment dealer.

wmg1299
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Problems with online equipment dealer.

#1 Unread post by wmg1299 »

I am having trouble with a sales website and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I have bought several items from the MotoDirect website over the past few years, and have been satisfied with the products in the past. I just received the men’s leather motorcycle jacket 204 in the mail.
The jacket is pictured as solid black on the website, but actually has three tacky fist-sized “EXL” logo patches on the sleeves and back, which are not mentioned in the description. It also feels about as thick as a trash bag, and the supposedly CE approved armor feels slightly less sturdy than Nerf.
The company stated that I am still responsible for all shipping charges, despite their advertised 100% satisfaction Guarantee, because they reserve the right to sell redesigned products without changing the online photos or descriptions.
Naturally, this sounds like a huge load of BS. The MotoDirect company is based out of Indiana, and I was wondering if anyone in the area knew what administrative bodies I could complain to about what I consider to be blatant false advertisement. They also have an EBAY store, if that matters for anything.
I was also wondering if anyone knew how to find out if a company’s products actually meet CE or DOT standards, because I really can’t picture the jacket’s pads offering any sort of protection and question the legitimacy of their certification.
Thanks for reading, and any help or advice would be appreciated.
Current Ride: 08 HD Nightster
Just Added: 02 Ducati 750 Sport

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Please look here.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

wrecks
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: two wheeled vehicle

#3 Unread post by wrecks »

cag 50cc (pit bike)
91 Ninja 250 (sold)
2k6 GSXR 600 (taken out by cager)
2k6 XT 225
2k8 CBR 1000rr
2k9 DRZ 400sm

wmg1299
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by wmg1299 »

Thanks for the websites.
Current Ride: 08 HD Nightster
Just Added: 02 Ducati 750 Sport

DireWolf
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by DireWolf »

I've had hit/miss service from them. I hate to buy something and deal with a "Crapshoot", though.

They'll have something on their site, then come back and tell me they don't have this size or that color.

It's happened more than once.....I always get my money back, but it takes a while.

good luck.
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/547017/GJTTP-gather.jpg[/img]

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

Re: Problems with online equipment dealer.

#6 Unread post by JVRR »

That actually sounds pretty typical of online dealers, and honestly sort of reasonable. You got screwed definitely, but the shipping back despite that I would be pissed as well, reasonable. I have never, not once, bought clothes online and not had a complaint. The best was when I bought this sweatshirt on super sale from Abercrombie, XXL, get it... not even close to fitting. I look at it and inside is printed "MUSCLE COLLECTION," who the heck thinks someone who needs an XXL is looking for a "muscle fit" on anything? Ridiculous. The sweatshirt and shirt together were about $30, return shipping and hassle would have got me a few bucks back. No thanks! I pretends its my motivation to lose some more weight :lol:.

This is why I am pretty reluctant to start ordering some biking gear online. I do like ordering online from places with local outlets, because returns are so easy. I have ordered online numerous times from JCPenny and despite frequently needing something else/returning, it is still worth it.

So, despite the fact that I sound unsympathetic by saying it sounds reasonable, I definitely feel your pain!
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

Marvin
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

#7 Unread post by Marvin »

I have learned my lesson from mistakes in the past never order any clothes or helmets online, they are never what you expected or fit right, any HD Dealer has half of his building devoted to motorcycle clothes where you can see, feel and try it on before purchace.
I own Japanese bikes but I have a HD rain suit and even wear an offical HD helmet, their clothing is top of the line!

yea! I pull in to a HD Dealer riding my japanese Scooter
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

Do a Google search, in your area, for 'motorcycle closeouts'. I picked up some motocross knee and shin guards that fit under my jeans for $15.00. I picked up a Fieldsheer textile jacket (really two jackets, the liner is a jacket) for $125.00.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Marvin
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

#9 Unread post by Marvin »

I had problems with JC Whitney in the past where they ran out of and discontinued one of the items I ordered, they refunded my money but the refund did not include the high shipping and handling charge. I complained asking how can they charge me for shipping and handling when nothing was shipped to me? They said its their rules! I said its a ripoff!
I would recommend Dennis Kirk, they have a price match policy if you find that same item anywhere less expensive they will match that price less one dollar. I got a Warn 3000# winch for only $269 where their regular price was $429.
Best prices on motorcycle tires is www.americanmotorcycletire.com and all the motorcycle and atv tires I got from them in the past had a fresh date code
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

Tsp
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1996 Suzuki Intruder VS 800 GLT

#10 Unread post by Tsp »

Motoshop ?? been there. I suggest for all around bikers gear, Jafrum, and not through Ebay go direct. Parts and supplies, OEM or After market, Bike Bandit. I have purchased from others evenso these are the best I found, literaly. I have all too many hours involved. Best to you.