ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#51 Unread post by HYPERR »

koji52 wrote:there's a never ending line of idiots waiting for the perfect moment to bash on HD
So what do you call the plethora of HD guys that bash other bikes? Are they idiots too?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#52 Unread post by koji52 »

"plethora" is not the correct word as it denotes diversity and is inclusive of many...but ignorance does run on both sides of the road. However, to me, it seems that most of the hostility towards HD from other people is the "selling out" factor we apparently do to the most associated brand in the US with the word "motorcycle." I will not argue that some people buy HD bikes just for the name, but it's stupid to generalize all HD riders into that category. I for one am not included in your "plethora" of HD riders who talk crap on sport bikes. I'll stick with my "antiquated, slow, heavy and expensive piece of metal garbage" as some will say.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#53 Unread post by jonnythan »

HYPERR wrote:
koji52 wrote:there's a never ending line of idiots waiting for the perfect moment to bash on HD
So what do you call the plethora of HD guys that bash other bikes? Are they idiots too?
Uh, yeah. Idiots are idiots no matter what brand of bike they own.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#54 Unread post by HYPERR »

koji52 wrote:plethora" is not the correct word as it denotes diversity
Sure it is. Plethora denotes a surplus not diversity.
koji52 wrote: However, to me, it seems that most of the hostility towards HD from other people is the "selling out" factor
Don't know too many people that care about that. Most of the HD bashing jokes seems to be rooted more with the older traditional Harley and their riders. The more unreliable Shovels and the more traditional biker riders.....not the more reliable Evos and the new generation Yuppy riders.
koji52 wrote: we apparently do to the most associated brand in the US with the word "motorcycle."
A little arronant are we not? :roll:

koji52 wrote: I will not argue that some people buy HD bikes just for the name, but it's stupid to generalize all HD riders into that category. I for one am not included in your "plethora" of HD riders who talk "crumb" on sport bikes. I'll stick with my "antiquated, slow, heavy and expensive piece of metal garbage" as some will say.
A little defensive are we? :laughing: Never did I say anything about you making fun of sportbike riders or talking dodo about them, did I?
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#55 Unread post by koji52 »

not defensive at all...I was trying to make the point that I defend HD from the ignorant because I love my bike. The "selling out" factor addresses the long time "pay a premium to join a club" mentality that i've seen on here all too often. Finally, Harley Davidson is without a doubt the most identifiable brand when the word "motorcycle" is spoken in the US. I don't see how it's arrogant to state a fact.

My apologies on the definition of plethora...it does denote surplus. I had the wrong definition. It seems there is a plethora of riders who hate other brands. It just gets old.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#56 Unread post by Brackstone »

I hate all of you equally :D
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#57 Unread post by HYPERR »

jonnythan wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
Uh, yeah. Idiots are idiots no matter what brand of bike they own.
The ones that ride Harleys or Sport Bikes more so.... :twisted:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite

no

#58 Unread post by RC DAVE »

NO
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

texaswiz
Rookie
Rookie

Are Harleys all they are cracked up to be?

#59 Unread post by texaswiz »

Boy, that is like asking which oil is best or which religion is best. You will get all sorts of crank answers if you listen long enough.
The truth of it is that everyone is unconciously opinionated. If you ride a particular brand it would be disengenuous to say you did not like it.

Over the last fourty some years I have purchased Japanese, British and American bikes. For the most part, I enjoyed riding them all. Depending upon their vintage, the newer bikes were progressively better in design and function. Since I have not ridden all the bikes currently on sale it is impossible to say which is best.
Having got that disclaimer out there, let me tell you about my current bike which is an 09 Harley Street Glide. Unlike earlier Harleys it shakes very little. Harley has an all new frame for 2009 which in itself improved the bike 100%. Gone are the days of high speed wobble and feet vibrating off the floor boards. It just does not happen anymore. The bike handles far better than anything I have ever owned. In truth, it costs far more than anything I have ever owned too. Is it worth it you ask? Twenty five thousand dollars for a motorcycle is a lot of money. But, given my age and financial condition, I figured this would be my last bike and I should splurge not a little, but a lot. So, I did it. I got every option offered, even some that I said I would never use. I did not think I would use cruise control, nor would I like the anti skid brakes. Another thing is the stereo. Why would you need a stereo on a motorcycle. Well, I can tell you that I am glad I got them all. They all add to the experience. I am glad I made my choice and I won't look back. I love it.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Are Harleys all they are cracked up to be?

#60 Unread post by Gummiente »

texaswiz wrote:I did not think I would use cruise control, nor would I like the anti skid brakes. Another thing is the stereo. Why would you need a stereo on a motorcycle. Well, I can tell you that I am glad I got them all.
I'll second that. When I bought my Road Glide (my 4th Harley) it came with the cruise and stereo. I thought the same as you, what was the point of cruise and tunes on a bike. But, man, it did not take me long to get used to them... 39,000km later and the novelty STILL hasn't worn off. :lol:

Oh, and Welcome to TMW!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride