sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

Re: SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

#881 Unread post by sv-wolf »

It's funny the way the scales shift. In the last year I've taken to thinking of the SV as a rather sad, superannuated wreck-of-a-bike, with a noisy, not-too-wonderful engine and a tendency to deteriorate (forks, brakes etc) whenever the wind changes. Since getting her back from Bob, though, that noisy engine has begun to sound like a mature piece of machinery and I'm rediscovering (yet again) what a fun bike the old girl is to ride. God! You can chuck her round corners and have a grand time on her.

By contrast, the Daytona has begun to seem like a disaster area on two wheels. The fairing that had been welded together so beautifully has begun to break up again, and she's now back in the garage for the umpteenth time with a new problem. OK, so she has a lot more power than the SV, is a smoother ride and has sharper steering, and this all this adds up to... What? I'm not sure. She gets me all whipped up - no doubt about that - but she doesn't have an ounce of the character of the older bike. If I had to get rid of just one of them, I know which one it would be right now. And as for the long term, the Daytona will almost certainly go in the autumn.

So that leaves me with the delicious idea of buying a new ride - an idea made even more delicious by the fact that I know that unless I get a very good deal, I can't really afford it. I'll be looking for a lightweight sports tourer. If I got rid of both of them at the same time I'd certainly think about buying one of the more recent SV1000S. I can't imagine any bike more perfect for my touring/fun/communing needs. Memo to me: must take another look at HU's "Gearing Up". This is a great DVD: a couple of hours of experienced riders discussing the pros and cons of what to buy.

As I pulled into the campsite for the Horizons event last weekend I saw a famous bike parked up outside the bar. To dedicated long-distance riders on all five continents (and armchair explorers like me) this great beast is instantly recognisable . It's a low-slung, coal-black Electra Glyde, covered in stickers from its nose to its tail and it belongs to Kay and Peter Forwood. It's just simply unique - the most well-travelled bike in all of biking history - it has to be!

Here it is.

There are officially, 193 countries in the world, and this hulking great pile has ridden through 193 of them. Remembering that those countries include Iran, Afghanistan and North Korea, you begin to get a sense of what is going on here. And when you consider, also, the fact that one quarter of the world's countries are tiny islands marooned in the middle of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans, you begin to get the scent of a beautiful obsession.

I went to one of Peter and Kay Forwood's slide shows and got an eyeful of some of their travels. And if ever I assumed that they had restricted their riding to gentlemanly strolls along the world's tarmac highways, I was rapidly disabused of that notion. There were slides of the great hulking Harley slugging its way through fender-high mud in South America, slopping around in gigantic rut holes in Africa, over broken boulders and endless river crossing in Siberia and lord knows what else besides. This is a seriously well-travelled bike, one that has been baptised in every kind of elemental hell-hole between here and forever.

Here they are, the mad Australian couple themselves:

I took a peek at their bike's meter to see how many kilometers were on it.

I read 70,000 + kilometers. OK, impressive, but not that impressive - as I guessed, though, it's not the first time the bike has been round the meter. Even so, I was taken aback to discover that its barrels are rolling round now for the sixth time. So that's 570,000 kilometers to her credit. I was even more amazed to discover that only very recently have they had to replace the engine. Once upon a time, H-D built some seriously hardcore motorcycles! What happened? (I wonder what the SV will look and sound like when she's managed 570,000 miles of continuous riding - that's 23 times round the equator by my calculation).

Next to the Harley was Grant and Susan Johnson's ride, another grand touring bike, equally unmistakable and recognisable. Here's a shot for all you Canadian chauvanists.

I had a great weekend, meeting some of my biking heroes. That included the inimitable Ted Simon, (author of "Jupiter's Travels" and begetter, in the 1970s, of the whole round-the-world motorcyling phenomenon.) He made his trip before the computer revolution, before mobile phones and satellite technology, before the whole planet got connected up. That was a time when venturing into parts of Africa or Asia really did mean cutting yourself off from the rest of the world. In those days and in those places you were truly on your own. (Eat your heart out Charlie and Ewan).

In his quiet, authoritative way, he explained to a new generation of adventure bikers just what their journeying is all about, its personal significance and what it does to you on the inside. It does change you, there's no doubt about that. It is a powerful message.

I asked him to sign one of his books for me and I felt like a teenager again. Hell, I'm only fifteen years younger than he is and at my age you are supposed to be a bit more worldly than this. But I'd read his book when I was in my twenties and it had fuelled my dreams for decades. Now, meeting him for the first time, I couldn't help being awestruck by the man.

Austin Vince was there also: they guy who rode the Zilov Gap and the Road of Bones in Eastern Siberia some ten years before Charlie and Ewan attempted it. The bloke is a maths schoolteacher from Mill Hill (would you believe!) and is crazier than anyone I've ever known by a factor of ten. His wife, Lois Price, was also there. She is as crazy as he is and does her own thing, riding solo round the world. She's been an inspiration for many women bikers in recent years.

Simon Gandolfi turned up and gave a talk. I've just been reading his book, "Old Man on a Bike". This old geezer is priceless. He's 77 years old and has been adventure-riding round the world for several years on a 125cc Honda pizza bike. (It really is a pizza bike!) He's the oldest ten-year-old I've ever met, likely at any moment to plunge himself into fits of uncontrollable laughter. I was sitting in the front row and got a fit of giggles myself, listening to his silly stories. That set him off even worse and within moments the whole room was rolling helplessly in their chairs. Life is just one ridiculous pile of lunacy for this guy.

I also acquired a new hero. The highpoint of the weekend has to be a talk and slideshow by Walter Colebatch on his Sibirsky Extreme Project. His rationale for this incredible trip through Central Asia and onto to Eastern Russia was that, since Ewan and Charlie, everyone has been riding across Siberia following the Tran-Siberian Railway, wholly ignorant of the fact that there are other routes that need exploring. This bloke is in his thirties. He's not just a great adventurer, but an excellent photographer as well - and a very entertaining speaker. He doesn't say much, but everything he does say is worth listening to. Here's his website.

http://www.sibirskyextreme.com/

Unfortunately, the small low-res pics on the site don't do justice to his photography, which is often stunning, and he speaks more powerfully than he writes but, even so, you can get a real sense of the magnificence of the landscapes he rode through and the extraordinary challenge he had taken on. (If you are short on time, just scroll down the left hand side of the home page, click on the Pamir section and boggle at the photographs.)

So, it was a great weekend. I got worse monkey-butt sitting listening to one amazing speaker after another than I have ever got from sitting on a bike. I heard two women wondering out loud how one hundred blokes could sit riveted in fascination for two hours while another bloke demonstrated six different ways to change a tyre in the Sudan with only basic tools; I learned loads of useful stuff from presentations on medicine and first aid for bikers; tips on packing; tips on essential maintenance, choosing bikes and gear, etc, etc, etc; and sat through loads and loads of stories of round-the-world biking. I met some great people; the weather was perfect; and the food was excellent (though, I avoided the roadkill cafe, especially the obscenely long queue one evening for sauted snails). The evenings were mild and I chatted around the bonfire to people gloriously mad enough to have ridden every kind of crazy road and track imaginable in the wildest parts of the world. Even if I spend too much of my life in front of a PC and not enough on the road, I'm really glad to know that such people exist.

Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#882 Unread post by blues2cruise »

A cruiser. Went around the world. Need I say more. hahahaha

And you were inspired enough to photograph it. :)

sv-wolf

#883 Unread post by sv-wolf »

LOL.

You've got to give credit where credit is due, blues. I'd photograph any bike that had done 570,000 miles without an engine change and travelled through every country in the world. I mean, c'mon that is impressive, isn't it? OK, it's true, I'm easily impressed, but I think most people would admit there is something special, here, wouldn't they?

But then, I'm just as impressed with Simon Gandolfi's globetrotting pizza bike. That's a pretty gobsmacking idea too - international fast food deliveries by a 77 year old pizza squid!

The thing is, though, I wouldn't want to ride either of them - neither the big, ugly Harley (which looks more like a praying mantis than a motorcycle) nor the buzzy little pizza bike. (Well, I don't know. Maybe the pizza bike would be kinda fun. :mrgreen: )

And how many Harleys today could do anything as well as that particular EG - or even the pizza bike, come to that. Most of them couldn't ride round the block let alone round the world, without something falling off. OK, OK I exaggerate - but only a little.

I think the message here is that if you want to ride round the world, you can do it on pretty much anything. Lots of long-distance riders I've spoken to say that it's a mistake to ride the bike you think is most suitable for the journey - you should ride where your heart is, and if your heart is in a big electra glyde, then that's the bike you should take.

Me - I'm just a little more modest in my ambitions and in my motorised personal extensions - as you know. I like the in-between bikes: roadsters and sports-tourers, even trailies. I doubt whether I will ever understand this love affair Americans (and some Canadians) have with heavyweight cruisers. Maybe I was born the wrong side of the pond or something. You see, big is definitely not beautiful in my world. Sleek, sharp, elegant, light or just plain fast (gotta admit it!) - that's what I like.

Think about the "Flying Scotsman" Gresley locomotives, the fastest and most powerful railway engines of their time. One of them carried the "Flying Scotsman" name. Have you ever seen her? She's a delicate little lady, a million miles away from those giant haulage monsters they built elsewhere to jerk and trundle their way across plains and deserts - and she's a million times more beautiful as well.

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... n_2005.jpg)

Things don't have to be big to get my juices going. A lot of power in a sleek and elegant frame is a lot sexier than a hulking great bulldozer of a bike.

:starwars: The cruiser wars continue. :D

I know I'm repeating myself, but I really have fallen back in love with the SV. Its oddities and quirks have acquired a new characterfulness. It feels like an old familiar pair of gloves and I no longer care that it is not perfect. I found myself patting it the other day before dismounting (then looked round sharply to see if anyone had noticed.) Maybe, after seven years I'm finally losing the middle-aged bike returner's itch and settling down to a comfortable relationship with my rides. If that's what it is, then it feels good!

:cowboy:
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

sv-wolf

#884 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Just got news back on the Daytona. As expected, it looks like the throttle sensor is on the way out. It's never been entirely right. The engine has always been a little late or erratic in responding to throttle input. Bob had done his best to adjust it for me but I don't know how long that will last. Sooner or later it will need replacing but I'm not going to do a lot with her now. If I sell her in the autumn she will have to go to the dealer with all her faults on her head. I won't get a lot for her but there is no point in doing her up first and losing out on that as well.

Next thing, though: she will soon need a new set of tyres. This current set must have given me no more than 2,000 miles. For a pair of road tyres that is craaap!

My wallet continues to bleed.
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#885 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Bye bye Daytona. It will be a load off your mind to not have to deal with it.

sv-wolf

#886 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I'll be sad to see her go, but realistically, you're right, blues. It will be a weight off my mind, and off my pocket as well. I'm thinking of buying a trail bike instead and keeping the SV as my fun-bike.
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#887 Unread post by roscowgo »

Don't let that high maintenance dame get you down sv.

Now is the time for the fun part. Deciding what's next.

You could always go KLR if you're feeling trailey. And then people could pester you about them only costing pocket lint and that old piece of bubblegum you found in your coat pocket.

:lol:

Not to mention, if a chunk falls off a KLR that just means it's been places. :devil:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#888 Unread post by Wrider »

Very true. And anyone can keep one of those in working order. Give you a wrench (spanner) set, an allen set, a philips screwdriver, and a service manual and you'd be golden!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sv-wolf

#889 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi guys

Ping! I hadn't figured you for a mind reader, Rosco

I'll let you into a secret. (It's a secret because, until recently, I've only been half-admitting it to myself.) The reason I'm thinking of a trail bike is that I've been working myself up into chucking my job and doing some serious long-distance riding. I need a do-anything, off-road, on-road bike.

I've been putting off "the big trip" for a while, largely for financial reasons, but I'm getting to the stage where I'm thinking, sod it! I don't care. With the present slump, and the government talking about cutting back on the public sector (where I work) by 40% (!) the chances of me being made redundant are pretty high, anyway. Time to make good use of my assets.

Apart from that I'm getting grey enough to start calculating how much active life I might have left. Putting it all together, right now seems to be the time to get serious. I'm prone to passing enthusiasms which don't last, but this idea has been sticking round for a while and growing more attractive all the time. It is starting to form itself into a definite plan.

I've looked at the KLR. It's cheap. It's comfortable (so some say... but...). It is decently reliable (though some disagree...) and simple enough that even I could work on it with some hope of success. I need something that is robust and something not too big but with enough power to cope with conditions on and off road. In many ways the KLR sounds just the job. What's putting me off it at the moment is that it is heavy, it seems to be very hard on tyres (even for a thumper) and is a damn serious oil-guzzler as well - cheap to buy, good on fuel economy, but with hidden costs. (There is a kit to fix the oil problem! - That's nuts. Why don't Kawasaki just sort it?) The idea of having to change tyres every 2,000 miles (at least - not counting punctures) doesn't sound too inviting either. It seems like a great bike for someone who loves to spend their Saturdays tinkering and installing mods. (Am I just being a wimp here?)

Anyone got any first-hand experience of this bike, or know if Kawasaki has done anything to address these issues in recent years?
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

drumwrecker
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 51
My Motorcycle: 2003 VFR VTEC, 2007 Yamaha TDM900, CRF23

#890 Unread post by drumwrecker »

Richard you are right about the pointy bikes looking right on British roads. Over here the cruiser really looks at home, even on the smaller roads that we have been driving. The cruisers appear to outnumber the sports bikes by a big margine so being more familier they maybe look more at home. Also the sports bike look so small I kept on thinking they were little 250 Aprilias until I heard them. Everywhere we have been there have been loads of bikes, I didn't expect that but like the UK the riders are mostly in our age group. Bike highlight of our trip has to be Wednesday Bike Night, Beale Street, Memphis. Regards from Lake Tahoe.
125 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, Matchless G9, AJS 250 CSR, 159 Triumph Bonneville, Honda CB500, BMW K75s, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650s, Honda VFR750FL, Yamaha TDM900, 2003 Honda VFR VTEC, 2008 CRF230F,