2011 Ducati Diavel - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

YOUR COOLNESS FACTOR OF THE 2011 Ducati Diavel IS...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: 2011 Ducati Diavel - VOTED: In Progress

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Gummiente wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:... somelike along the lines of the V-Strom where "Strom" is German losely for "Storm" (electrical storm or current), I just don't get it, call it Storm.
Actually, I think they went with "Strom" because the target market was Germany and other parts of Europe where the adventure riding category is big business.
Hey, ya learn something new everyday. It's amazing how much the Adventure riding category has taken off and has become a life of it's own.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#12 Unread post by Gummiente »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Hey, ya learn something new everyday.
I'm not saying it's fact, I'm just pretty sure that's what the reasoning behind the "Strom" name was. I know I read it online somewhere, but I can't remember the location. Hell, these days I'm lucky if I remember to wear pants when I head out the front door, never mind recalling what I read a few months ago.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#13 Unread post by HYPERR »

Gummiente wrote:
HYPERR wrote:Duc engines is about the worst choice for a cruiser engine..
Fugly, yes. But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. But I do have to question your slotting it into the cruiser category. To me, the bike belongs, and was intended for, the "hooligan bike" genre. I can picture a whole squadron of Diavels out there mixing it up with the likes of the V-Max, Speed Triple, Super Duke, V-Rod and others.
Ducati considers it a power cruiser. The demographic they are targeting is far removed from their current customer base. To me it looks nothing like a Hooligan bike, too bulky and too low. Ducati already makes two bikes that could be slotted in that category, the Hypermotard and the Street Fighter. I do not consider the V-Max and the V-Rod Hooligan bikes either, they are quintessential power cruisers.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#14 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote: Like Gummiente said about, I also find it very intersting you are putting this bike into the cruiser catagory.

Really??? :shock:

Pretty much everyone on the internet is considering this a power cruiser. What else would you call it???
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote: Like Gummiente said about, I also find it very intersting you are putting this bike into the cruiser catagory.

Really??? :shock:

Pretty much everyone on the internet is considering this a power cruiser. What else would you call it???
Muscle bike, or naked bike as it's closer to those types of models than a "Traditional" cruiser IMO.

General question... Do you think this bike, the V-Rod and V-Max are creating a new "Modern Cruiser" category then and the term Muscle Bike is something that doesn't fit them?

No matter what, the Ducati Diavel sure is an interesting love it or hate it bike to discuss.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#16 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote:

General question... Do you think this bike, the V-Rod and V-Max are creating a new "Modern Cruiser" category then and the term Muscle Bike is something that doesn't fit them?
I don't really see it as a new category at all. I think this is a power cruiser as originally coined by Honda for the V65 Magna in the 1980s. The original V-Max carried the torch and reamained the reference standard for power cruiser IMO.

I think the original V-Max hit the nail right on the head. Traditional looking yet radical in a badass way, and a great looking bike to boot. The engine must be the focal point of these bikes which the V-Max did brilliantly. Weirdness for weirdness sake does not sell in the cruiser category. Case in point the BMW cruiser, which I might add was about a 1000x better looking than the Diavel.

The Diavel is one mfugly bike. Also the engine is all wrong for that kind of bike. The 2V Duc engine is a beautiful lump of metal, the 4V Duc engine is not; in fact the motor is downright mfugly. Ducati somehow made this aethstetic monstrosity work in the naked 4V Monsters, but it does not work on the Diavel. And in this genre of bike, the look of the motor is quite important.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: 2011 Ducati Diavel - VOTED: Discussion In Progress

#17 Unread post by dr_bar »

I found the bike to be much as Gummi and Mr TMW have said, to be more along the lines of the muscle bike, with a "Standard" more upright seating position to it. Even my Valk which has been classed by many as a power cruiser, really has a more standard seating position than any cruiser that I've ever ridden. As far as the bike itself goes, I do like the look of it, though as said before, I doubt that it would ever interest me enough to make a purchase. Like sport bikes, Harleys, sport touring bikes, nice to look at, just no desire to own one. No criticism on the bike, just don't care to own one.

As to the "Modern Cruiser" category idea, I don't think those bikes fit the "Cruiser" label either. They are Standards and if anything they fit into the old muscle bike label as the V-Max has always been called, and that's not a "NEW" grouping by any means...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#18 Unread post by HYPERR »

dr_bar wrote: Even my Valk which has been classed by many as a power cruiser, really has a more standard seating position than any cruiser that I've ever ridden.
Power Cruiser as defined by the original, Honda V65 Manga, has a standard seating position. I don't know what a Muscle bike is...is it a Canuck term? I have a feeling what you guys are referring to muscle bikes is what we refer to as a power cruiser in the US.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#19 Unread post by rayian »

I'd call it a muscle bike or maybe a Monster on steroids. I'll say somewhat cool but it doesn't really do it for me though I really like Ducati styling in general.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#20 Unread post by High_Side »

I think it has a lot of potential but has too much cheap looking plastic on it. I would bet that it is a blast to ride with that engine though.

Some of the craziest fun that I have ever had on a motorcycle was a V-Rod Muscle. The Diavel looks like a similar concept (except not nearly as good looking), but with a lot more power, and a lot less weight. It should be great fun.