2011 URAL sT Solo - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 URAL sT is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 URAL sT Solo - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 URAL sT Solo

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... T-Solo.htm

What does a small motorcycle company do during the cloudy times? Make the best of it!

Ural, famous for its 2wd sidecar motorcycles went to create a solo motorcycle that would capture the best of Ural - its simplicity, versatility, the classic lines.

Think of it as a bike that could have been produced by Ural in the 1970’s if the engineers were allowed to fulfill their ambition for a performance two-wheeler.

We took care of unfinished business and put together a motorcycle that answers the need for something functional, simple and reasonable. Just what a real motorcycle should be - a universal bike for your daily trips and weekend getaways whether on a street, highway or even a forest road ...with the feel of a genuine classic ride and all modern day components.

Unlike any “normal” motorcycle company we invited our owners and even motorcycle journalists to participate in the development. We opened the prototype to the public, got feedback, took notes, made changes...

We’ll say no more – here are some quotes and reviews:

“Individualists Unite! Russian manufacturer Ural prides themselves on building bikes with Iron Age-era stoutness and no-nonsense utility.”- Basem Wasef on about, May '10

“This is a unique bike, it seems able to adapt itself the road, and riding conditions. Once again the Ural analogy applies, the Swiss army knife of motorcycles. A sport bike, a supermotard, a cruiser, an enduro, and a freeway mile marker…My only complaint is that I have to give it back...”- Barry Conti, Ural Owner, Sep '09

“The handling is outstanding. It's a short wheel base and it will turn as soon you think about turning. Nimble is the word for this machine. I think we're seeing a Russian Hooligan bike.”- Doug Soderland, Ural Owner, Sep ‘09

“I found this motorcycle just down right pleasant. If I was going to buy another bike for commuting or putting around on the weekends Ural has got my attention.” - SPR, Sep’09

“I rode my Arctic Gear Up 1500 km from Bodega Bay to Redmond (WA) just to test ride the Solo T. It's an awesome solo bike. I felt right at home as soon as I got on it. I rode city street, mountain roads and freeway. It has plenty of acceleration. It handles sweeping turns and city streets with ease.”- Ivan Rider, Sep ‘09

Ural A La Carte
Ural A La Carte means: we’ll build every sT to order the way you want it. Here’s how it works.

The starting point is the base model in flat black. It comes with straight stainless steel exhaust, standard gas tank, black trim, single tractor seat and a black rear fender rack. You can choose to order additional equipment and/or upgrade from standard specification.

Test your imagination, choose the options you want (unless you are going for the base model). The motorcycle you order will be built at the factory and delivered to your dealer exactly in specification you chose from the menu!

2011 Ural sT Solo - Specifications
MSRP: $6,999 USD

Engine and transmission, Displacement, cc: 745cc

Engine type OHV air cooled 2 cylinder 4 stroke "boxer" (flat twin)

Bore and stroke (mm x mm) 78 x 78 (3.07x 3.07)

Max output (hp) 40 @ 5600 rpm

Max torque (ft-lbs) 38 @ 4500 rpm

Compression 8.6:1

Fuel system Carbureted, twin Keihin L22 AA

Ignition Full electronic CDI

Starting Electric & Kickstart

Clutch Double-disc dry

Physical measures

Overall length, mm 2,160 (85.0")

Overall heights, mm 1,080 (42.5")

Overall width (handlebar), mm 780 (30.7")

Wheel base, mm 1,490 (58")

Seat height, mm (unladen) 770 (30.3")

Seat height, mm (laden) 760 (29.9")

Ground clearance (unladen), mm 170 (6.7")

Dry weight, kg 200 (441kg)

Chassis

Frame type Double loop steel tubular frame

Front suspension 40mm Marzocchi telescopic forks

Rake steering head (deg) 26.0°

Trail (mm) 65mm 2.6"

Front suspension travel (mm) 110mm 4.3"

Rear suspension Double sided swing-arm with two Sachs hydraulic spring
shock absorbers, 5x adjustable

Rear suspension travel 100mm

Wheels 2.5X18 painted steel rims with steel spokes

Tires Duro HF-308, 3.5x18" front, 4.0x18" rear

Front brake Single 295 mm full floating disc, 4-piston fixed Brembo
caliper

Rear brake
Single 245 mm fixed disc, 2-piston fixed Brembo caliper

Other

Fuel grade 91 Octane, unleaded

Fuel tank capacity (liters) 19, 5.l gal

Reserve (liters) app. 3.0l, 0.8gal

Estimated fuel economy, mpg 47

Range, miles 235

Recommended cruising speed (mph) 70

Estimated top speed (mph) 90

Max permissible weight 380kg 841lbs

Electrical

Alternator Denso, 55 Amp, 770 Wt

Battery FAYTX20HL (12V, 20A)

Headlight H6024 (65/35)

Spark plugs NGK BP6HS

Warranty 2-years parts & labor, unlimited mileage
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: 2011 URAL sT Solo - VOTED: Discussion In Progress

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is such a love it or hate it bike IMO, a really tough call, so much so in fact that rather than quickly posting a reply to it I had to think about it all day. (maybe some of you are doing the same too?).

I would have voted "Awesome" but it doesn't have a side-car, and really, that's what makes URAL so "Awesome" in my opinion, you can go anywhere on a URAL mostly because it has a side car (and optional 2WD which would rock).

This one is one of their rare solo models, and IMO, the best looking one (the URAL Wolf is just weird to North American tastes I think). You would definately stand out in a crowd riding one, heck even standing beside one will draw attention to you and the bike.

With a price of just 6,999 USD for a 750cc bike, not bad at all! And the price just adds to the appeal of this URAL as well... it's very basic and very "back to the roots" of riding idea. It's really different, power isn't the #1 item on here, so I'd consider if you owned one, you'd be a different kinda rider "Cool", someone who had Joe Camel smokes under their T-Shirt and liked James Dean Cool... but also a little "off in left field" James Dean. haha.

Thus, it's Cool. (to me)

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

No big surprise here - I think it's cool simply because of the design and "old world" charm. But I have to say that it is the right bike at the wrong time and I think Ural has bitten off more than it can chew. For $7k there are many, many bikes out there that offer far better performance and engineering. The ST is going to appeal to a very limited market segment, just like their sidecar rigs do, only IMO there will be far fewer of them sold.

BTW, Ural has offered solo models for many years now in North America and they have never been big sellers. The Wolf that Mr Totalmotorcycle refers to was a collaboration between the factory in Russia and a well known Russian motorcycle club called the Night Wolves; it's basically a Russian version of a factory custom. It sells like hotcakes in Europe, but never caught on over here and they stopped importing it a couple years ago. The other solo model is the Retro. Although it normally comes with a sidecar, it is the only model that has telescopic front forks which allows it to be safely ridden as a two wheeler. People who wanted the solo Ural experience but didn't want the sidecar simply either sold the sidecar back to the dealer or had the sale price discounted and the sidecar removed before riding it home. Ural sidecars are pretty quick to sell on their own, so the dealers never had a problem with this. BUT... although the Retro is still one of the best selling models for Ural, it is the ones with the sidecar attached that are driving off the showroom floors with happy owners at the controls. Clearly, a solo Ural is not a good marketing idea here in North America, especially when what little reputation they have over here is because of their sidecar models. Although the name is more recognised now than it was five years go, bikes like the Indian Royal Enfield eclipse it in terms of popularity.

I think Ural should have continued to improve the sidecar product line first, bringing it closer to par with other modern bikes in terms of performance and features, before letting loose with a solo model. Don't get me wrong, I like the ST and had I the money there would be one on my garage, but I think Ural has made a mistake here by bringing it to life in the current economic climate. I'm hoping that they will prove me wrong, though.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#4 Unread post by rayian »

Seems to be a bike for the ultra conservative. The styling is way before my time and I'm no spring chicken. I can't see it succeeding unless Ural has extremely modest expectations.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

I am neutral with this bike. I think their hacks are kinda cool but their bikes....not that much. I think $8,000 is a lot of money for a bike that is really 1970s technology. Sort of retro but Ural does not have the same kind of retro clout as Royal Enfield which this bike may compete with. Certainly different and to someone it may very wll be worth $8,000. I also don't like the history of the bike in that it was basically stolen technology from BMW.

That being said, my interest in the Ural begins and ends with the Hack. The cammo one is really cool actually! If I was a father with little kids, I can certainly see myself getting a Ural Hack to give them rides...
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Gummiente

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

HYPERR wrote:I also don't like the history of the bike in that it was basically stolen technology from BMW.
The official story from the factory is that five BMW R71 Wehrmacht rigs were covertly purchased in Sweden and smuggled into Russia, where they were reverse engineered. Another unconfirmed version states that just before relations went in the crapper between Russia and Germany, Hitler gave Stalin all the tooling and drawings to produce the R71 as Germany was already gearing up production on the R75. Whichever version is true, the fact is that Russia made their own version of the BMW. All is fair in love and war. :)
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

HYPERR wrote:If I was a father with little kids, I can certainly see myself getting a Ural Hack to give them rides...
And the dog. Don't forget about the dog...

It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

Is that a mid 70s Honda CB I see in the background? :kicking:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Great choice for the cool wall, because at the very least - like the Diavel - the ST provokes debate (I seriously doubt that anyone in their right mind would think the Norton is uncool, for instance).

Even though I voted it "cool", I still don't know why anyone would buy this bike. If you've got one (and didn't already have, say, a Patrol), it's almost saying that you wanted an Ural but couldn't cough up enough cash for a hack. A solo Ural loses a lot in versatility and, uh, goanywhereability compared to their hacks, and suddenly has to compete more in terms of looks and retro coolness to a whole bunch of bikes, like the Enfield, Bonnies, Guzzi Classics, heck, maybe even HD Sportsters. A very tough field to play in.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Gummiente

#10 Unread post by Gummiente »

HYPERR wrote:Is that a mid 70s Honda CB I see in the background? :kicking:
Yep, it's an old CB175 that was parked a very safe distance away from the bonfire at the Iron CURD '09 Rally because it was leaking gas.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride