2011 Norton Commando 961 Sport - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Norton Commando 961 Sport is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 Norton Commando 961 Sport - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 Norton Commando 961 Sport

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 1Sport.htm

Frame
- Frame: Steel tubular with integral oil tank
- Swing arm: Twin-sided steel construction
- Wheelbase: 1420mm (55.9 in)
- Rake: 24.5 degrees
- Trail: 99mm (3.9 in)
- Front suspension: 43mm Ohlins RWU - Adjustable preload, compression damping.
- Rear suspension: Ohlins reservoir-style twin shocks - Adjustable ride height, preload, compression
- Front wheel: 36 spoke 3.50 x 17” Chrome Rim
- Rear wheel: 40 spoke 5.0 x 17” Chrome Rim
- Front tyre: 120/70 x 17”
- Rear tyre: 180/55 x 17”
- Front wheel travel: 115mm (4.53 in)
- Rear wheel travel: 100mm (3.94 in)

Brakes & Hydraulics
- Front brakes: Full Brembo system, twin Brembo 320mm semi-floating hi
carbon stainless steel discs, Brembo 4 piston “Gold Line” axial callipers
- Rear brakes: Full Brembo system, single Brembo 220mm disc, Brembo 2 piston “Gold Line” calliper
- Brembo “Gold Line” front brake master cylinder
- Brembo “Gold Line” hydraulic clutch master cylinder
- Brembo rear brake master cylinder
- Brembo hydraulic clutch actuation slave cylinder

Transmission
- Gear box: constant mesh 5 speed
- Final drive: 525 “O” ring chain
- Clutch: Wet multi-plate hydraulic lifter
- Electric start Power Assembly
- Engine type: New engine developed by Norton and F1 engine builders, MCT of Oxfordshire, England. Parallel twin with push-rod valve actuation, dry sump, 3 bearing crank and balancer shaft.
- Displacement: 961cc
- Cooling system: Air
- Valve actuation: Push rod, 2 valves per cylinder
- Bore x stroke: 88mm x 79mm
- Compression ratio: 10.1:1
- Power: 80PS @ 6500RPM
- Torque: 90Nm @ 5200RPM
- Ignition: Crank fired electronic
- Euro 3 compliant with electronic fuel injection and multiple 3 way catalytic converter

Electronics & Controls
- Charging system: 300 watt hi-output charging system
- Instrumentation: Norton electronic analogue speedo & tachometer

Miscellaneous
- Fuel tank capacity: 17 litres (4.5 US gallon)
- Dry weight: 188kg (414.5 lbs)
- Seat height: 813mm (32 in)
- Steering: Fully machined billet yokes, triple clamp lower yokes
- Handlebars: Tubular steel in chrome

Colour Options
- Black & Gold
- Red & Gold
- Yellow & Black
- Silver, Red & Black
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: 2011 Norton Commando 961 Sport - COOL WALL VOTE: In prog

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

Nice bike but for a projected Canadian MSRP of >$20K I can get a lot more for the money. They will need to work on their price point if they are going to make a serious go of it.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:Nice bike but for a projected Canadian MSRP of >$20K I can get a lot more for the money. They will need to work on their price point if they are going to make a serious go of it.
I have the official last years (2010 model for the SE that is sold in the USA/Canada) prices I requested from Norton:

2010 Norton Commando 961 SE
MSRP: $17,899 USD

2010 Norton Commando 961 Sport
MSRP: £11,995 GBP - Price shown includes the 'On the Road' costs and VAT for the UK.

Price: £12,495 GBP - Price shown includes the 'On the Road' costs and VAT for the UK.

If I compare that to say a Ducati streetfighter (as I think Norton is right there with that quality)

2011 Ducati Streetfighter
USA MSRP - $14,995 USD
UK MSRP - Starting from £11,750

I would say if it's at $19,999 (GBP £ price seems identical though) it isn't that bad of a deal as they are definately not making as many bikes as Ducati is, but looking at the bike (and I got to sit on the 2010 and 2011's) quality is right high with fit and finish. If Norton starts to ramp up production, I can see them going for the same as Ducati's in the future...

But I am with you, I would like to see them lower in price... but what is the trade off?

Mike

BTW - Did you vote?

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
High_Side wrote:Nice bike but for a projected Canadian MSRP of >$20K I can get a lot more for the money. They will need to work on their price point if they are going to make a serious go of it.
I have the official last years (2010 model for the SE that is sold in the USA/Canada) prices I requested from Norton:

2010 Norton Commando 961 SE
MSRP: $17,899 USD

2010 Norton Commando 961 Sport
MSRP: £11,995 GBP - Price shown includes the 'On the Road' costs and VAT for the UK.

Price: £12,495 GBP - Price shown includes the 'On the Road' costs and VAT for the UK.

If I compare that to say a Ducati streetfighter (as I think Norton is right there with that quality)

2011 Ducati Streetfighter
USA MSRP - $14,995 USD
UK MSRP - Starting from £11,750

I would say if it's at $19,999 (GBP £ price seems identical though) it isn't that bad of a deal as they are definately not making as many bikes as Ducati is, but looking at the bike (and I got to sit on the 2010 and 2011's) quality is right high with fit and finish. If Norton starts to ramp up production, I can see them going for the same as Ducati's in the future...

But I am with you, I would like to see them lower in price... but what is the trade off?

Mike

BTW - Did you vote?
I don't think you are accurate in comparing this to a Ducati Streetfighter that has far more refined engineering, an additional 40-50 hp and the chassis to match. The Monster 1100 would be a much better comparison and it would still be superior to the Norton IMO. And even with the $Can at par with the $US you can still be sure that the bike will be north of 20K when it comes to Canada if most other bikes are any indication. It's a nice bike, but I really don't think that you get what you pay for.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

"and the games afoot!"

(that would be Sherlock Holmes' language)

Mike

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#6 Unread post by rayian »

As far as comparing it with a Ducati I'd say it looks more like a GT 1000 than anything else and I don't know what they sold for but the price on the Norton is way high. The styling is top notch and the fact that they're using Brembo brakes and Ohlins suspension seems to scream high end but the power train is unproven at this point as far as reliability goes. Anyway, it's not gonna happen but I'd love to be the first kid on the block to get one.

High_Side

#7 Unread post by High_Side »

rayian wrote:As far as comparing it with a Ducati I'd say it looks more like a GT 1000 than anything else and I don't know what they sold for but the price on the Norton is way high. The styling is top notch and the fact that they're using Brembo brakes and Ohlins suspension seems to scream high end but the power train is unproven at this point as far as reliability goes. Anyway, it's not gonna happen but I'd love to be the first kid on the block to get one.
I think that you are bang on with the GT and the differences in brakes and suspension (I used to own but but tend to block it out as I hated it). One of the biggest weaknesses of the GT was the suspension. To outfit the GT that was about 13K to start with, with Ohlins suspension would cost you about $2.5K. Ad another 2K for the Termingoni cans and ECU to make it run acceptably (a must, as stock it fueled terribly) and the price is creeping up there. But then, that's why I unloaded mine :| Too much cash for what you get.

It was nice looking though....

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote:I think that you are bang on with the GT and the differences in brakes and suspension (I used to own but but tend to block it out as I hated it). One of the biggest weaknesses of the GT was the suspension. To outfit the GT that was about 13K to start with, with Ohlins suspension would cost you about $2.5K. Ad another 2K for the Termingoni cans and ECU to make it run acceptably (a must, as stock it fueled terribly) and the price is creeping up there. But then, that's why I unloaded mine :| Too much cash for what you get.

Don't forget the expanding fuel tank. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

High_Side

#9 Unread post by High_Side »

HYPERR wrote:
High_Side wrote:I think that you are bang on with the GT and the differences in brakes and suspension (I used to own but but tend to block it out as I hated it). One of the biggest weaknesses of the GT was the suspension. To outfit the GT that was about 13K to start with, with Ohlins suspension would cost you about $2.5K. Ad another 2K for the Termingoni cans and ECU to make it run acceptably (a must, as stock it fueled terribly) and the price is creeping up there. But then, that's why I unloaded mine :| Too much cash for what you get.

Don't forget the expanding fuel tank. :laughing:
How could I? I still have one in the garage!

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#10 Unread post by ZRex »

I voted cool, the price and availability keep it from being Awesome for me.

The more I look at it the more I wish I had voted awesome just for the looks, (maybe price should only come into effect if I were going to buy it) and my nephew said it was Awesome.