2010 Honda VFR1200 - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2010 Honda VFR1200 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2010 Honda VFR1200 - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2010 Honda VFR1200

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 1200FA.htm

2010 Honda VFR1200

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 1200FA.htm

2010 Honda Interceptor VFR1200FA

Honda's storied V-4 heritage has been re-invented in an astonishing new sport motorcycle that's unlike anything you've ever seen, heard, or ridden. Drawing from an impressive history of V-4 innovation, the all-new Honda VFR1200FA incorporates technology borrowed from such diverse sources as MotoGP, motocross, and even high-end sports cars. Its 1,237 cc engine has a narrow 76-degree cylinder angle, Unicam™ valve train, asymmetrical front/rear cylinder spacing, and other advanced features, which combine to produce a remarkably compact engine. Throttle-by-wire, a smart new shaft-drive system, Dual Clutch Transmission... it all adds up to a futuristic new bike for those who love to ride hard, ride far, and ride often.

Drawing from a longstanding legacy of innovation within Honda's V-4 lineup, the 2010 VFR1200FA embodies the new generation of V-4 technology and unsurpassed rider benefits, setting the stage for Honda's next 50 years. Honda's V-4 heritage and VFR tradition is fully realized in the VFR1200FA. It has been re-created in astonishingly innovative form through the fusion of advanced technology imported from the MotoGP world and other cutting-edge environments. Net result: a futuristic sport motorcycle created for the sheer joy of riding, custom tailored for experienced hands who ride hard, ride long, ride far and ride often.

The 2010 VFR1200FA embodies the next generation of new motorcycle technology, resulting in unsurpassed rider benefits for those in search of a sporting motorcycle that truly transcends common bounds. Honda's V-4 heritage has been re-invented in astonishingly innovative form through the fusion of advanced technology to craft a futuristic sport motorcycle created for the sheer joy of riding, custom tailored for experienced hands who ride hard, ride long, ride far and ride often.

Just a few of the incredible features and benefits found in the VFR1200FA include Honda MotoGP engine technology and architecture; a light and compact 1237cc liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 that pumps out amazing levels of power; Throttle By Wire for next-generation throttle response; lightweight and compact Unicam® valvetrain allows for significantly smaller cylinder heads; optional Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission with manual mode and automatic mode with two D/S modes and paddle-style shifters; Honda slipper clutch in the manual-shift VFR1200FA; GP technology layer-concept aero fairing for unrivaled air management and futuristic style; next-generation shaft drive system with offset pivot point and sliding constant-velocity joint for a new level of shaft-drive performance and control.

(Note, there is no "2011" model by Honda, the 2011's are 2010 models leftover)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

Re: 2010 Honda VFR1200 - COOL WALL VOTE: In Progress

#2 Unread post by sunshine229 »

This bike looks like it is dripping with liquid metal, it is pretty sweet but not quite hot enough for me to call awesome. Either way, it's definitely up there as one of the funkiest new designs around!
Andrea :sun:

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#3 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Dual clutch auto option is a no go for me. Don't won't an automatic and wouldn't want button shifters for manual mode. Keep the trans attached to my foot thank you very much.

The looks.... Well, I like the looks of it. I wish it was on another motorcycle because I like ALL the old style vfr's better but if I wipe away the tears of disappointment at the vfr's drastic change and look at it more like a new bike then I got to say I like it.

I am intrigued by the unicam deal. I have no idea if it's any better or worse but I just want to take the valve covers off and poke at it. :) I've never seen it before and think it would be cool to see a camshaft that pushes on a shim over bucket intake and also works the exhaust valve via a rocker arm. I just think thats cool. But then I've always liked rockers just for the looks of them. I like a busy looking machines with little doodads doing this and that. :laughing:
Overall I'll give it a cool rating. The traditionalist in me keeps me from voting awesome. The looks and engine size were fine the way they were. But other then that it still has a lot of vfrness to it that made me like the old ones. vfrness = linked brakes, sporty toury position/capabilities, v4, SS swing arm.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

I've seen it in person and I do like it! It's not awesome or awe inspiring but it is pretty cool looking/feeling/sounding.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

Not sure if we're talking about the VFR1200F, which has a conventional clutch lever and foot shifter, or the VFR1200FD, which has no clutch lever, and works in either full automatic mode, or clutchess manual mode via shift buttons on the left bar?

For the VFR1200F, I've read a lot of carping about how it's neither a sport-tourer nor a supersport bike, and it's heavy and uncomfortable. I've sat on one a couple of times now, and it seemed neither heavy nor uncomfortable to me. It's supposed to be blazing fast for not being a supersport - 10.1 quarter mile. That's always good for a "cool" vote from me!! :devil: (Tho' it's a bit pricey at $16K)

The FD is $1500 more than than the F. Personally, I have no use for automatic transmissions in bikes, especially one that cost more. I've read a bunch of blah about how the auto tranny shifts "more efficiently" than a human possibly can, etc, etc. When I want efficiency, I'll buy a Prius. That's not why I have motorcycles.....

The F model gets a cool vote for that new 1200cc V4. High price kep it from being an awesome. (I'll just ignore the FD model.... :roll: )
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#6 Unread post by ZRex »

I have always loved VFRs and would love to own a VFR1200F so I vote cool, but when I first heard about the VFR1200 I thought it was going to be one of the most important motorcycles in years, but the bike itself really does not "blow away" the competition like some people thought it would, it's still a great bike, (I've read) a big fast GT bike with lots of power and very competitive with the other "GT" bikes, but the feature that sets it apart, the Dual clutch transmission is something I really don't care for, at least not now, maybe if I rode it I would love it as much as others have, but I like shifting for myself on a motorcycle or a car. The Dual clutch is a over a second slower in the quarter mile (according to a magazine article) not that it matters on this type of bike, but I have a lot of friends who drag race and they would wonder why I paid more for the "slower" bike (actually they would not care).

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

This is the bike I've liked least since the Cool Wall Started. I wouldn't call it uncool, but it's kinda meh for me. I really liked the 800 VFR. It was really good looking, and was a versatile size/weight. Now that it's gone, the BMW F800ST is the only midsized sport tourer left. I have to credit Honda for innovating (looks and engineering wise) for the 1200, but the looks haven't grown on me, and I'm iffy about not having a clutch (although it's a baseless opinion, not having had any experience with a clutchless bike).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted cool as well. But it's close to the line for me as I really feel that Honda has taken a really successful formula of the VFR750/VFR800 and taken a chance with it (very un-Honda like... but then again, we are seeing Honda being "re-developed" from the DN-01 to the Fury to Honda Powercenters).

The old VFR800 look cooler to me than the VFR1200, as the VFR800 was prefectly suited to the niche it was serving... The 800 was lighter, smaller, cheaper, less complex and the 800 engine was great. Now the 1200 rolls along and looks more futuristic but also is heavier, bigger, more expensive, complex and did it really need a 50% bump up in displacement when Honda already had the ST1300?

I haven't seen too many VFR1200's on the street in London and the Honda dealers here say they are not selling very well. The VFR800 is still selling well here ("2011 model") and outselling the VFR1200. From what they say the VFR800 was Honda's biggest seller here.

Maybe time will tell. If I had an option I would sell both the 800 and the 1200 but keep the styles different.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#9 Unread post by fireguzzi »

totalmotorcycle wrote:If I had an option I would sell both the 800 and the 1200 but keep the styles different.

Mike
good idea.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

I haven't voted yet because I am so torn on this bike. I love VFRs but can't seem to find the love for this bloated version. I'm sure that it is a great bike, but there is something missing, or maybe, too much of everything. This test gives a little insight in to how it works, but like any bike I would have to ride it myself to decide.