2010 Zero S (Electric) - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2010 Zero S (Electric) is...

You may select 1 option

View results

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: 2010 Zero S (Electric) - COOL WALL VOTE: In progress

#11 Unread post by Gummiente »

sunshine229 wrote:They definitely have to work on increasing the range and implementing a way for the motorcycle to sound like it's a real motorcycle.
Right, but that's the point of my post... they are working on it, just like they worked on and continuously improved the cell phone. Think of what an electric bike will be like in 5 years from now.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#12 Unread post by Johnj »

Maybe in 5 years.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I can totally see why people vote FAIL on this model. As Gummiente and Sunshine229 said, it's the start of the technology band and really needs to be worked on to make it fully useable. I'm also (as mentioned) not big on a motorcycle not sounding like a motorcycle either.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#14 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Out of all the things that could potentially bug me about this bike, I'm not bothered at all by the fact that it doesn't make any exhaust noise. But then, I don't own a bike that sounds good, so if the thing didn't make any noise at all, it would be an improvement.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#15 Unread post by HYPERR »

Grey Thumper wrote:Out of all the things that could potentially bug me about this bike, I'm not bothered at all by the fact that it doesn't make any exhaust noise. But then, I don't own a bike that sounds good, so if the thing didn't make any noise at all, it would be an improvement.
The oilhead has sort of a soothing drone on the highway. :)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:Out of all the things that could potentially bug me about this bike, I'm not bothered at all by the fact that it doesn't make any exhaust noise. But then, I don't own a bike that sounds good, so if the thing didn't make any noise at all, it would be an improvement.
I would agree with you that the noise of the Zero is less important than the other issues, such as distance and charging time.

ZERO... (I am not sure about that name either BTW)... Did they have to call it "Zero"? If they wanted a "Z" maybe Zeus (after the greek god of lightning).

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#17 Unread post by dr_bar »

sunshine229 wrote:...and implementing a way for the motorcycle to sound like it's a real motorcycle.
That's what they invented playing cards and clothes pegs for...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#18 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

HYPERR wrote:
The oilhead has sort of a soothing drone on the highway. :)
Thanks, that's seeing the glass as half full. :)

Anyway, back to the Zero . . .

I think I'd like this bike more if it used a hydrogen fuel cell. IMHO, it's a superior alternative fuel to batteries. You get zero emissions and a renewable fuel source without the range problems of batteries, or the environmental hazards of producing and disposing of batteries.

But then, you'll have the problem of needing some sort of hydrogen infrastructure to be able to fill the things up.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#19 Unread post by High_Side »

Grey Thumper wrote:
Anyway, back to the Zero . . .

I think I'd like this bike more if it used a hydrogen fuel cell. IMHO, it's a superior alternative fuel to batteries. You get zero emissions and a renewable fuel source without the range problems of batteries, or the environmental hazards of producing and disposing of batteries.

But then, you'll have the problem of needing some sort of hydrogen infrastructure to be able to fill the things up.
Don't forget the required scientific breakthrough that would allow you to produce hydrogen without a massive carbon footprint and or the consumption of ridiculous amounts of water. H2 as a mass produced zero emissions fuel (if you include production of it), is a fantasy, but it makes for good political fantasy by the likes of the former Gubernator if nothing else.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Thinking of batteries for the Zero...I wonder if it has the same "cold temperature issues" normal batteries have today. Cold temperatures = shorter life, harder starting and the power runs out sooner.