noobie
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit

How to keep a cool head this summer

#1 Unread post by noobie »

So I wear a full face helmet because I like my face…

BUT, summer is coming and I'd love to wear a skull cap like my friends do. They look so cool (not sweaty) and cool (not ugly). Yep, with the breeze in your face - wearing your ultra cool shades - I wanna do it!

BUT, I had a friend crash and he slid for quite a ways - the side of his 'full face' helmet looked like it was melted - that could have been his face!
That's what keeps me wearing a full face helmet.

How to stay 'cool' in the summer… Any thoughts???

Noobie

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: How to keep a cool head this summer

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Soak a bandana in water and put that on under your helmet. Then open your vents. Your head will be cooler than your friends' with the skull cap. :)
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

noobie
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by noobie »

Hiya Wrider,
Thanks for the reply - I'm getting chilly just thinkin' about it - hehehe but seriously... I have long hair and I'm sure that'll be the worst case of helmet head I've ever had :P
Of course I might do the Sinead O'connor thing and shave my head :0

Cheers,
Noobie

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

You willing to buy a new helmet? I got pretty tired of how hot my helmet got (and it was about 5 years old anyway), so i searched specifically for a helmet with good venting. Got a Nolan N43 Air, and I'm pretty happy with it so far (disappointingly noisy though, but I wear earplugs).

Anyway, +1 to the bandanna soaked in water, or you might want to soak a thin scarf or buff with water and have it exposed beneath the helmet. Air chills the water around your neck, and your carotid artery gets chilled, cooling off the blood that flows into your head.

And +1000 to sticking with a full face. Aside from the superior safety, with summer comes bugs. Big ones. That you don't want smacking into your face (especially your teeth).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I also recommend a full face helmet in a crash. It saved my jaw in fact in 2000. This was my bike after the crash off the highway...I don't normally share the images as even looking back at them it looks pretty bad.

Thus, I sweat in my full face in the summer and in my full gear but I'd rather sweat than bleed; thus better safe than sorry.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14

#6 Unread post by sunshine229 »

For me, definitely full face all the way! If you saw Mike's helmet after his crash (which he noted above my post here) the jaw of the helmet was toast but his jaw... perfect. That's enough pursuasion for me!
Andrea :sun:

noobie
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by noobie »

Thanks all, I'm definitely sticking with full face.
I love the "rather sweat than bleed" comment.
Also, the bandanna around the neck... I think that'll do the trick - and it'll look cool too :)

Peace Out,
Noobie

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

noobie wrote:Thanks all, I'm definitely sticking with full face.
I love the "rather sweat than bleed" comment.
Also, the bandanna around the neck... I think that'll do the trick - and it'll look cool too :)

Peace Out,
Noobie
Glad to help out with the rest. As Andrea said above, yes, you should have seen my helmet. It was quite gashed up on the front and sides and unluckly I did a superman off the front of the bike going 70km/h. But none of this is to scare anyone, just relaying past experience. That's why it's important to wear safety gear so you can get up again, get back on the bike and ride for another 50 years.

There are a few other benefits in wearing a full face helmet as well other than just crash protection like:

1. Protection from bugs, rocks and pollution material on the road. I can't tell you how many countless times I've been hit by bees, rocks and garbage and it all is deflected off a full face helmet/visor.

2. Wind noise.

3. It's warmer in the cooler times of the day/year

4. ...

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

noobie
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by noobie »

totalmotorcycle wrote:It was quite gashed up on the front and sides and unluckly I did a superman off the front of the bike going 70km/h
Whoa... did you get up and walk away?

Noobie

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

noobie wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:It was quite gashed up on the front and sides and unluckly I did a superman off the front of the bike going 70km/h
Whoa... did you get up and walk away?

Noobie
I "flew" about 75 metres and the bike landed 25 metres in the other direction.

Thanks to the gear I was wearing all I ended up with was a sprained wrist. Goes to show you what proper motorcycle safety gear can do for you.

(I was wearing a full face helmet, Joe Rocket ballistic jacket, leather riding gloves and full ankle support steel toe boots)

Mike