2011 Triumph Speed Triple - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Triumph Speed Triple is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 Triumph Speed Triple - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 Triumph Speed Triple

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... Triple.htm

2011 Triumph Speed Triple Review

The icon. Redefined.

Speed Triple. Real world performance for riders who know. The definitive streetfighter. The benchmark. The best. In a word. Legend.

New for 2011, Triumph has taken all that’s good about the Speed Triple and created an all new model. A new chapter in the legacy. All-new chassis is the sharpest tool in the box. And that 1050cc triple. Oh yes, the engine. And the look? Short. Stubby. Aggressive. Twin headlights. Single sided swingarm. Alloy bars. Pure Speed Triple. Improved.

Triumph Speed Triple

New for 2011 is the latest incarnation of Triumph's most iconic model . the Speed Triple.
With an all-new chassis, the 1050cc 2011 Speed Triple delivers a new level of handling and composure to the super naked class. With a sharper and even more aggressive look, and more power from the legendary 1050cc triple, this new model looks set to add further to a legacy that has seen over 65,000 Speed Triples sold since its introduction in 1994.

The beautifully sculpted frame retains the traditional Speed Triple styling cues, such as the twin
over-engine spars and single-sided swingarm, but the geometry is all-new. Weight distribution has been improved by moving the engine forward in the frame and relocating the battery in front of the airbox, creating a Speed Triple that sets new standards in handling, stability and agility.

At 214kg fully fuelled, the 2011 Speed Triple is a whole 3kg lighter than the previous model. Front and rear wheels are each over one kilogram lighter, while the narrower frame and improved packaging
allows for increased ground clearance and makes the machine feel incredibly light and nimble.

The new 43mm forks offer excellent control and plushness and are fully-adjustable for preload,
rebound and compression damping on both legs, while Brembo radial caliper brakes grip 320mm
discs which are 0.5mm thinner than the outgoing Speed Triple for further reduction in unsprung
weight. ABS is an option for the first time on the Speed Triple.

All-new body panels and heavily sculpted seat accentuate the Speed Triplefs aggressive street
fighting stance and complement the newly-styled twin headlights. Colour-coded radiator cowls are a
new feature and sport new decals. Three colour options are available: Crystal White, Phantom Black
and Diablo Red, with colour-coded flyscreen, seat cowl and belly pan available as genuine
Triumph accessories.

Ergonomics have been improved and the 820mm seat height is lower than the previous Speed Triple.
The all-new riding position makes the Speed Triple more accessible and comfortable than before,
placing the rider further forward and inspiring much more confidence when carving through twisting
corners.

Triumph's 1050cc triple is just about the only thing that carries over from the previous model, although
even that hasnft remained untouched. The already class-leading torque has been increased by 8%
to 111Nm at 7750rpm, with a 5PS increase in power to give the Speed Triple a mighty 135PS at
the top end. With Triumph's latest generation ECU software and modified exhaust system, the new
Speed Triple delivers its raw power in a satisfyingly refined manner.

The 2011 Speed Triple features a high specification as standard, including fat alloy handlebars,
a coded-key immobiliser and an improved instrumentation which includes digital speedometer,
fuel gauge, trip computer, analogue tachometer, lap timer, programmable gear change lights and
service interval announcement display.

Triumph's accessories division has also developed a full range of official accessories for the new
Speed Triple. Highlights include performance enhancing slip on silencers and a full three-into-one
elow boyf exhaust system developed in conjunction with Arrow Special Parts, while a tyre pressure
sensor kit is available for the first time on the Speed Triple.

A full range of soft luggage and gel comfort seats have also been developed to increase the practicality
of the Speed Triple.

2011 Triumph Speed Triple Specifications

Engine and Transmission
Type Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity 1050cc
Bore/Stroke 79.0 x 71.4mm
Fuel System Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI
Exhaust Stainless Steel 3 into 1 into 2, twin high level stainless steel silencers
Final Drive X ring chain
Clutch Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox 6-speed
Oil Capacity 3.8 litres (1.0 US gals)

Chassis, Running Gear and Displays
Frame Aluminium beam twin-spar
Swingarm Single-sided, aluminium alloy with eccentric chain adjuster
Wheel Front Cast aluminium alloy multi-spoke 17 x 3.5in
Rear Cast aluminium alloy multi-spoke 17 x 6.0in
Tyre Front 120/70 ZR 17
Rear 190/55 ZR 17
Suspension Front Showa 43mm upside down forks with adjustable rebound and compression damping, 120mm travel
Rear Showa Monoshock with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping, 130mm rear wheel travel
Brakes Front Twin 320mm floating discs, Brembo 4-piston 4-pad radial calipers (ABS model available)
Rear Single 255mm disc, Nissin single 2-piston sliding caliper (ABS model available)
Instrument Display/Functions LCD multi-functional instrument pack with digital speedometer, fuel gauge, trip computer, analogue tachometer, lap timer, programmable gear change lights, service interval announcement display, TPMS ready

Dimensions and Capacities
Length 2086mm (82.1in)
Width (handlebars) 728mm (28.6)
Height without mirrors 1033mm (40.6in)
Seat Height 828mm (32.6in)
Wheelbase 1437mm (56.5in)
Rake/Trail 22.8º / 90.9mm
Fuel Tank Capacity 17.5 litres (4.6 US gals)
Wet Weight (ready to ride) 214 kg (471 lbs)
Performance (measured at crankshaft to 95/1/EC)
Maximum Power 135PS / 133bhp / 99 kW @ 9400rpm
Maximum Torque 111Nm / 82 ft.lbs @ 7750rpm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: 2011 Triumph Speed Triple - COOL WALL VOTE: In progress

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

I'm surprised that there is not more interest in the new Speedy. It reminds me of the make-over that Ducati gave the Monster a few years ago and we traded our old model for the new. Mrs. High_Side liked that change (it's her bike - so that's what counts), but in the end I miss the simpler old-school Monster. So for that reason - I voted cool.

waterbuffalo750
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1999 Harley Davidson Night Train FXSTB

#3 Unread post by waterbuffalo750 »

I think I like the 2010 model better, but if I was going to buy a 2nd bike right now, it'd be a speed triple, so I had to vote "awesome"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

Speed Triple is getting to be an old bike. 2011 treatment is really just a facelift to get a little more out of an old bike (see Sprint GT). That 1050 mill traces its ancestry back to the 885 mill and is at the end of its road, can't be bored or stroked any more. I think Triumph's working on a new mid-displacement triple - there's supposed to be a new Trophy in 2012 and they need a new motor for that.

All that said, I've always liked any of the Hinckley Triumph streetfighters, so I'll vote cool.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#5 Unread post by ZRex »

I voted Awesome (although I like the looks of the old one better) I love naked sport bikes.

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#6 Unread post by Markg1 »

Looks fast. Gave it a cool vote. Anybody know the 1/4 mile specs?
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I gave it a COOL vote.

With the current version I'm happy to see continued improvements with the lighter weight, new chassis, new forks, new seat, new headlight design and increased horsepower as well. Sometimes these improvements can come at a cost to the ridabilty of the motorcycle and it's why this new model just got a cool vote from me and down 1 from the Awesome vote I would have given the previous version.

The new Triumph Speed Triple looks great, it always has. The Speed Triple in my opinion is a true hooligan motorcycle, short wheelbase, small size frame, lots of torque and plenty of power, what isn't there to like?

For cosmetics I really liked the previous headlight design a lot more, the new headlight design looks like it's from a fully faired bike minus the plastic surround. The headlights look a little "insect like" which is fine but they feel less part of the bike now and are tying to be "more" than just a headlight. A sharper and even more aggressive look with a heavily sculpted seat (and lowered seat) doesn't sound that comfortable and it's not (at least for tall riders). The Triple was always a "normal to shorter rider bike" now I fear it's more of a "if you are below the average height this one is for you" bike, thus limiting a truly great motorcycle to even less riders. But I'm bias here as I'm tall and would love to own a Triple but can't fit on the darn thing. :D

For power it's excellent as the torque comes in a little lower than an inline-4 and you get most of the inline-4 horsepower too. A Kawasaki Z1000 is better in stats but I'm sure the Triple would feel more "agressive" on the street in lower RPMs.

Overall, I think it's a nice looking bike, a little Ducati Streetfighter in there, a little Triumph heritage even a little Suzuki (SV1000 comes to mind) in there too. Not a bad mix.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Markg1 wrote:Looks fast. Gave it a cool vote. Anybody know the 1/4 mile specs?

Previous version, but I can't imagine the new one would be much faster.

MPG 38.00
0-100 km/h 3.60
1/4 Mile 11
Top Speed (KPH) 225
Top Speed (MPH) 140

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#9 Unread post by High_Side »

I`m not one to quote motorcycle magazine articles but to calibrate the quarter mile times Cycle World posted 10.56 at 128mph. Quick enough :P

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:I`m not one to quote motorcycle magazine articles but to calibrate the quarter mile times Cycle World posted 10.56 at 128mph. Quick enough :P
I think anytime you see sub-11 seconds that is fast in a 1/4 mile. 0.04 of a second quicker than the old model too.

I always enjoy reading the 1/4 mile drag times of a motorcycle or car, even if you never really achieve it in real life, it's kinda neat to know how fast your ride "might go". :D

Zoom Zoom

Mike