2011 Harley-Davidson XR1200X - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Harley-Davidson XR1200X is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: 2011 Harley-Davidson XR1200X - COOL WALL VOTE: In progre

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:Of course there are loads of better looking Harleys. But are there any better handling ones?
I haven't rode the XR1200X yet but I would think the V-Rods would handle as good as well as the Dyna Fat Bob (which supposed to be from reviews the best handling H-D cruiser).

As mentioned above, I'd like for H-D to use some of the R&D from Buell (they have access to it all). Buell's handled really well.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#12 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Can we not see a Harley-Davidson XR using Buell technology and comfort?
Rotax Helicon in an XR? :humm: Could that even work? (Asking about engineering, not whether "the Harley faithful" would buy it, 'cause they wouldn't.)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Can we not see a Harley-Davidson XR using Buell technology and comfort?
Rotax Helicon in an XR? :humm: Could that even work? (Asking about engineering, not whether "the Harley faithful" would buy it, 'cause they wouldn't.)
I couldn't see why a Buell engine in the XR1200X wouldn't work, they are H-D Sportster engines after all... maybe with some modifications you'll get it to fit (unless the engine mounts are the same)...

Let's be honest, the Harley-Davidson faithful is a changing demographic as younger blood moves into the brand. Buell WAS that younger blood link, H-D needs something to reclaim those riders once again who are looking for a quick bike with a H-D badge on it.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

SlingVTR
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 28
My Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Firestorm

#14 Unread post by SlingVTR »

In the UK we have these bikes in their own support races for the British Superbike Series, they are uprated engines, shocks etc Now when I say im 220lbs and went round on a track day 23 seconds faster on my VTR1000 than the fastest XR all weekend, (Niall McKenzie was riding one and Jeremy McWilliams) It may be in the right direction for poor HD but very poor too heavy and doesnt handle, it was an embarassment to watch quite frankly and if HD want to sell bikes over here then they better start thinking in other directions.

http://xr1200trophy.harley-davidson.co.uk/Home.aspx
Attachments
XR1200 Racebike
XR1200 Racebike
latestnewspic.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 11332 times
Im not speeding officer, Im qualifying..........

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

SlingVTR wrote:In the UK we have these bikes in their own support races for the British Superbike Series, they are uprated engines, shocks etc Now when I say im 220lbs and went round on a track day 23 seconds faster on my VTR1000 than the fastest XR all weekend, (Niall McKenzie was riding one and Jeremy McWilliams) It may be in the right direction for poor HD but very poor too heavy and doesnt handle, it was an embarassment to watch quite frankly and if HD want to sell bikes over here then they better start thinking in other directions.
Well, I can say that XR1200 Racebike really looks Cool, more like a Ducati body style look than a Harley but hey it would sell I'm sure.

Sad to hear the XR1200 really didn't do better than the older VTR1000, but the VTR1000 was always a kickbutt type of bike. I would still welcome H-D to offer an upgrades to the bike from stock (like Victory does with offering a Stage 1 or Stage 3 boost right out of the box).

Mike

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#16 Unread post by Johnj »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
jstark47 wrote:
I couldn't see why a Buell engine in the XR1200X wouldn't work, they are H-D Sportster engines after all... maybe with some modifications you'll get it to fit (unless the engine mounts are the same)...

Let's be honest, the Harley-Davidson faithful is a changing demographic as younger blood moves into the brand. Buell WAS that younger blood link, H-D needs something to reclaim those riders once again who are looking for a quick bike with a H-D badge on it.

Mike

The Rotax Helicon engine used in the 1125 R and CR models isn't the same as in the Sportster .
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#17 Unread post by jstark47 »

SlingVTR wrote:In the UK we have these bikes in their own support races for the British Superbike Series....... It may be in the right direction for poor HD but very poor too heavy and doesnt handle, it was an embarassment to watch quite frankly and if HD want to sell bikes over here then they better start thinking in other directions.
A RAT pack buddy saw the XR's practicing at Daytona, and said the same thing. Also said the XR's sounded like farm tractors with holes in the mufflers. He found them quite funny compared to "real" performance bikes.

Johnj wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:
jstark47 wrote:
The Rotax Helicon engine used in the 1125 R and CR models isn't the same as in the Sportster .
Right, made by Rotax, not by Harley. Completely different than the Harley engines used in the Buell XB's. Used in the Buell 1125's (and all the EBR 1125's & 1190's). Block's likely small enough to fit in an XR frame (just judging by eye), but need to fit a radiator too.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#18 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I understand the first few comments about the unbalanced back end, but hey, who doesn't like a big booty?!?!?

I had to vote cool because it's nowhere near uncool, but I would have preferred to vote "neutral".

It's a great looking bike for anyone who isn't a fan of typical Harley bikes (myself included). I would not buy it, there are far too many other bikes out there that I love, but it's still cool to me.

:moose:
Andrea :sun:

SlingVTR
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 28
My Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Firestorm

#19 Unread post by SlingVTR »

Now..this is cool, its so cool I have a hard on.....Hardly Worthitson have a look and get yer perve on.............
Attachments
sbk-848evo_2011_matt%20white%20lhs.jpg
sbk-848evo_2011_matt%20white%20lhs.jpg (111.27 KiB) Viewed 11297 times
Im not speeding officer, Im qualifying..........

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is going to be really close on the final Cool Wall vote. I never would have guessed how controversal the 2011 Harley-Davidson XR1200X is based on the scattered votes for everything from Awesome to Fail!

Keep voting and discussing, this is going to be close.

Remember, tomorrow (and every Friday) a new bike goes up!