james1994
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1982/kawasaki/kz750

looking for advise

#1 Unread post by james1994 »

Hi I have a 1982 KZ750. I let it idle for too long and the oil light came on. Does anyone know what kind of damage I may have done????
James

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: looking for advise

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

First off let me welcome you to the forum. :welcome:
Second we need to determine which model you have. Does it have two or four cylinders?
Third does it make any other noises while idling.

Have you checked the oil level? There is a viewing glass on the right side, low and center on the engine, on the twin. I'm not sure where it is on the four cylinder models, but it'll be on the engine low. The oil level should be center in the glass or above, at least. the instructions for checking it are (1) start the engine and let it warm up (2) turn off the engine and let it sit for 5 minutes (3) check the sight glass. the bike must be on the center stand or held upright (not on the side stand).

:needpics:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Yup just like JohnJ said.
As for what could possibly happen without oil? Well let's just not go there quite yet.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

waterbuffalo750
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1999 Harley Davidson Night Train FXSTB

#4 Unread post by waterbuffalo750 »

james1994 wrote:Hi I have a 1982 KZ750. I let it idle for too long and the oil light came on. Does anyone know what kind of damage I may have done????
James
I've never heard of letting a bike idle for "too long." Just get the oil up to the proper level and hope for the best. And check your oil every time you get gas.