2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

VOTE: Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... rmotoT.htm

2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T

The 990 SM T unites a sporty, high-precision chassis with a state-of-the-art V2 engine, a frame-anchored fairing, great comfort and a sensitively regulating ABS system. The DOHC twin offers a choice between full-on power for vigorous throttle twisting or refined power for making progress with ease. This arrangement has given rise to a unique combination of racer, tourer and city bike rolled into one. In short: a long-distance Supermoto that combines sports talent with endurance, comfort and suitability for everyday use.

2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T Features

Powerful, state-of-the-art V2

Engine

The 990 SM T's water-cooled V-engine with 85 kW (114 hp) sets the benchmark for free-revving twins. Its intelligent design principle with multifunction balancer shaft makes it one of the lightest and most compact V2s in its class. The engine impresses with explosiveness and spontaneous throttle response.

Cylinder Head

Aside from optimum combustion chamber design, the major factors behind the outstanding performance of the 990 SM T's V-twin with 75° cylinder angle are the state-of-the-art four-valve cylinder heads, each with flow-optimized ports and two overhead camshafts.

Crank drive / Pistons

Particularly lightweight pistons and connecting rods bestow the 990 SM T's V2 engine with reduced reciprocating weight and hence a decidedly spontaneous responsiveness, underlining its extremely sporty engine characteristics.

Engine Management

The electronic Keihin engine management system regulates the modern fuel injection system on the 990 SM T, focusing on smooth throttle response under partial load or spontaneous responsiveness when needed. In this way, KTM engineers were able to harmonize raw power with optimum ridability.

Sports chassis

Frame and swingarm

The 990 SM T's tubular space frame made from thin-walled chrome-molybdenum steel tubing with a bolted-on, light alloy subframe only weighs 9.5 kg (20.9 lb.), yet it impresses with exemplary torsional stiffness. The 575 mm (22.64 in) swingarm with conical profiles contributes plenty of mechanical grip.

Suspension Elements

Thanks to multiple setting options, the upside-down telescopic fork and the directly connected shock absorber from WP Suspension allow optimum individual adjustment of the chassis to suit the respective operational use of the versatile 990 SM T.

Radial brake

More than adequate braking is ensured in the 990 SM T by Brembo® brakes with the very finest components. On the front wheel, two radially-mounted four-piston brake calipers, pressured by a radial master cylinder, bite hard into 305 mm (12.01 in) rotors.

Sporty but suitable for touring

Wind screen and large fuel tank

The frame-anchored fairing on the 990 SM T provides effective protection from the wind and weather and accommodates a clearly structured multifunction cockpit that supplies the rider with all essential information. The fuel tank with a capacity of 19 l (20 qt.) ensures a long useful working range.

Passenger comfort

The 990 SM T's perfectly padded twin-level seat ensures suitable long-distance comfort for both rider and passenger, while also providing freedom of movement and crystal-clear feedback for a sportier pace.

ABS

The selectable dual-circuit ABS system developed in cooperation with Bosch offers total protection against over-braking, while maintaining the full effect and perfect feedback of a genuine sports brake thanks excellent sensitivity. Weighing no more than 1 kg (2 lb.), the ABS system therefore allows extremely sporty braking.

Luggage mounting system

Rear fender

Thanks to an integrated luggage mounting system, it is possible to secure a top box and two panniers to the rear of the 990 SM T — compact and grouped closely to the center of gravity, but with enough storage space for everything you could possibly need on your travels.

Ergonomics

The gathered sitting position behind the double-butted, perfectly angled, aluminum handlebar support relaxed touring equally as well as hitting the gas with commitment.

2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - Specifications
MSRP: $13.999,00 USD

ENGINE
Design 2-cylinder 4-stroke Otto motor, 75° V arrangement, water-cooled
Displacement 999 cm³ (60.96 cu in)
Bore 101 mm (3.98 in)
Stroke 62.4 mm (2.457 in)
Performance 85 kW (114 hp)
Cold start device Electric starter
Transmission 6-gears, claw-shifted
Engine lubrication Dry sump lubrication system with two rotor pumps
Primary transmission 35:67
Secondary drive ratio 17:41
Cooling Water cooling, permanent circulation of coolant by water pump
Clutch Multidisc clutch in oil bath/hydraulically activated
Ignition system Contactless controlled fully electronic ignition with digital ignition adjustment

CHASSIS
Frame Lattice frame made of chrome molybdenum steel tubing, powder-coated
Fork WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 ROMA PA
Shock absorber WP Suspension 4618 BAVP DCC
Suspension travel Front 160 mm (6.3 in)
Suspension travel Rear 180 mm (7.09 in)
Brake system Front Double disc brake with radially screwed four-piston brake calipers, float-mounted brake discs
Brake system Rear Single disc brake with dual-piston brake caliper, rigid-mounted brake disc
Brake discs - diameter Front 305 mm (12.01 in)
Brake discs - diameter Rear 240 mm (9.45 in)
Chain 5/8 x 5/16" X ring
Steering head angle 65.6°
Wheelbase 1,505±15 mm (59.25±0.59 in)
Ground clearance, unloaded 195 mm (7.68 in)
Seat height, unloaded 855 mm (33.66 in)
Total fuel tank capacity, approx. 19 l (5 US gal)
Super unleaded (ROZ 95/RON 95/PON 91)
Weight without fuel, approx. 198 kg (437 lb.)

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... rmotoT.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - COOL WALL VOTE: in Progress

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Here is not only our very first "Dual Sport" for the Cool Wall but also the first KTM model on the Cool Wall! It will be quite interesting to see how this one plays out.

Have fun with it.

Remember, voting matters. Let everyone know, your friends, riding club, etc (even those on other sites) to vote. At the end of the each year, Total Motorcycle will compile the results and name the most AWESOME, COOLEST, UNCOOL and FAIL bike of the year!!!

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#3 Unread post by jaskc78 »

I'm torn on this one, will have to take some time to think about it. Overall, I like the bike because of the versatility it offers, but the appearance is just hideous in my opinion. The angle on the mufflers is just wrong, and I've never liked that polygon approach to design. Always makes me think of Transformers, but not in a good way. I do like the lines of the tank, though, seems a lot of bikes lately are putting too much arch in the tank and the bike looks like a cat that just got sprayed with a hose. I also like how cleanly the bike presents itself, no frills, no fancy razzle dazzle BS--it's just there to ride. Very simplistic and minimalist, but it gives you the impression that you know exactly what you're getting with no hidden agenda or strings attached. I am bike, let's ride.

But damn that is just an ugly fairing out front, and I'm not really sure what that triangular protrusion is just behind the forks and above the front tire in the profile pictures. That might just be what tips the scale for me.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

114 hp and 437 lb bike that can do-it-all? KTM says "In short: a long-distance Supermoto that combines sports talent with endurance, comfort and suitability for everyday use" and from the specs and looks of it, I'll take KTM's word on that; but it looks the part.

I wondered about sportiness and then read "Sporty but suitable for touring", ok then!

I did not know much about this KTM 990 SMT model before and would have dismissed it. But now, I'm going to have to look into this one.

I think the target bikes for this one is the V-Strom DL1000... of course, there is a matter of cost vs a Suzuki V-Stom...but the Suzuki comes in at 520 lbs, that's 100lbs heavier than the KTM 990 Supermoto T! I also think it looks better than the V-Strom (well, the V-Strom didn't win any beauty prizes for it's looks)... but it's quite angled and edgy, a KTM trademark so I guess I can't complain that it looks like a KTM (hopefully, it has more padding on the seat than a typical KTM)

Well done KTM.

Now, do I try the KTM Orange colored one or the White one... hmmm....

Mike

P.S.: Canadian MSRP is: $15,598

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

It looks like a rip-off of the new Multistrada. :?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote:It looks like a rip-off of the new Multistrada. :?
Kinda does actually look like a Ducati Multistrada, but the KTM is $6,000 USD cheaper (Ducati $19,995 USD). For $6000 more the Ducati is 36hp stronger and has a bigger engine (199cc more) but each weight the same.

Being compaired to a Ducati isn't such a bad thing. I think the Suzuki Gladius 650 looks "Ducati" like as well. I would have to say that although they do look a like, both sport unique Ducati (smooth and flowing) and KTM (edgy and futuristic) looks. I like the ergonomic looks of the KTM seat more myself.

Good point though!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Honestly I think it's cool, but doesn't qualify for awesome for a few reasons.
Firstly if it's trying to be a supermoto, it's way too heavy. Supermotos are lightweight, maneuverable machines that are great for hooliganing around on.
Secondly KTM really needs to kick the stealth fighter designers out of their design department.
And thirdly it's not awesome because I don't have one sitting in my garage... lol
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:Honestly I think it's cool, but doesn't qualify for awesome for a few reasons.
Firstly if it's trying to be a supermoto, it's way too heavy. Supermotos are lightweight, maneuverable machines that are great for hooliganing around on.
Secondly KTM really needs to kick the stealth fighter designers out of their design department.
And thirdly it's not awesome because I don't have one sitting in my garage... lol
Interesting... As this is a discussion, let me add in here:

1. It's less than 100lbs heavier than the Suzuki DRZ-400SM, which IMO is a light supermotor (400cc).. so 1000cc adds less than 100lbs... damn fine. :smoke: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... Z400SM.htm

2. Yes, I do agree, their designs are very edgy, but I have to say, the seat on this one looks comfy.

3. Hmm.... you have your sig you are considering a 990 Adventure (shouldn't that mean you should be biased towards awesome??) haha. :D

Just some things to think about while you consider changing your vote from Cool to Awesome. haha. ;)

Mike

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#9 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I voted cool.

I'm not a big KTM fan but this bike is pretty nice looking. Definitely reminds me of the Multistrada but also a nicer, smaller version of the V-Strom.

:thumbsup:
Andrea :sun:

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

hmm... this is another one to mull over for the cool vote... looks kinda bird like with the beak for a fairing. It's hard to make it cool when an adventure-touring machine is made to be a multitude of practical compromises. So is it really more of an option/replacement for a SuperDuke... full street... hmmm...

It looks lots different than the beemers of the typical adventure touring crowd, but is mixing in sport territory... certainly the newer Ducati Multistrada is right in there with the nod for sporty and "hey KTM, copy-me" styling. I havent looked at Multistradas since the earlier (uglier) ones. Definitely funkier than the Vstrom, but again the crowd who like real adventure touring, are a fairly practical group by necessity, (and cool for them doesnt matter) which is maybe why the early Beemers were so 'purposefully' styled (that's ad-speak for ugly).

The Vstrom and others like the Ulysees didnt even have anything other than street-only tires available when they were first intorduced (much like the Yamaha TDM850 -- they were just oddly designed sport-tourers, which makes you think, why not buy a VFR instead). Ducati and KTM seem to be moving farther down the path of making a fashion statement for a different sort of of adventuring (or wanna-be adventuring) customers. They are chasing the elusive "cool" factor...
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)