2012 Honda Crossrunner VFR800X - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

The Coolness Factor of the 2012 Honda Crossrunner VFR800X is..

You may select 1 option

View results

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

Re: 2012 Honda Crossrunner VFR800X - COOL WALL VOTE: VOTE NO

#11 Unread post by jaskc78 »

Uncool. From what I can see (and that's not a lot with the photos Honda gave out), the thing is fugly. To make it worse, not even Honda is sure what it's supposed to be. It would appear that they thought they knew what they wanted it to be when they started, but somewhere along the way they changed their mind...then handed it off to another team...who then changed their mind and handed it off again.

The lines look all muddled up front, it appears as thought they cut it vertically into different segments and let people come up with a design for their section without seeing anyone else's design. The pillion seat is way too level unladen. You put a passenger on that thing and they'll slide right off the back. Why's it got that sharp angle right in the middle of the gas tank? What's that all about? Not sure I even want to hear why they decided to put mini-wings on the sides of the tank or copy Ducati's "beaked" appearance out front. The handlebars are either too high or the wind deflector way too small, but probably both. And I can't really see it very well, but that headlight looks like an assault on the senses.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'd like to change my vote to Fail rather than Uncool. Unfortunately, I don't see an un-vote button so I'll have to stand by my original impression.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#12 Unread post by HYPERR »

Blasphemy to put that jewel of a V4 and the ELF SSS from the VFR800 into something that looks like a pregnant penguin (the black and white one). And to add insult to injury, they actually call it a VFR800X! :aaarggh:

That great engine is the only thing that prevents it from being a fail.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote: VFR800 into something that looks like a pregnant penguin (the black and white one).
LOL!! Pregnant penguin. Should Honda include a clip on tie then?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#14 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I gave it a cool simply because of the VF motor and the Single Sided Swing Arm. Sadly I'm sure it'll be just as overly priced as the VFR's tended to be. However, were I to get my hands on one, I'd put on an undertail exhaust (show me that swingarm from the factory honda, Come on!), Rip off the plastics and headlight, add a typical fighter headlight and fiberglass what I'd need to keep the gauges and the front looking clean.

You guys were dead on when you said it should have been released as a naked bike. This will never perform as "intended" and I use that term loosely given what I've seen from the "SUV" market.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#15 Unread post by jstark47 »

The combination of the VFR engine and more relaxed ergos is what drew my attention to this bike. The "adventure tourer" thing means nothing to me - I don't take my DL1000 off road either, never intended to. But the DL1000 has superlative qualities as a road bike, and the Crossrunner might, too. However unless Honda announces this for sale in the USA, this is all moot.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#16 Unread post by agraebner »

I like seeing a company try something new. I think this is an attempt in a good direction. The specifications of the bike look pretty good. I am not so keen on the general look of the "new high tech" bikes. I have recently decided for myself my nighthawk IS THE all around bike for me. Since I have had it I have kicked myself daily for not buying a nighthawk new instead of the shadow. I wanted a nighthawk at the time but the dealer talked me into the shadow. This bike looks like it would serve as well as the nighthawk, as well as give a very sharp modern edge of technology. I have always liked V4 engines as well im glad to see them being carried on in new designs. All my opinions feel free to start throwing fruits and veggies at me any time.........
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#17 Unread post by ceemes »

Sadly, it is one fugly over priced machine which is not sure what it is. Pity, coz I really do love a V4 engine.
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#18 Unread post by jstark47 »

ceemes wrote:Sadly, it is one fugly over priced machine which is not sure what it is.
Rather a trend with Honda lately: DN-01 (fugly, over priced, unsure), Fury (fugly & over priced), VFR1200F (over priced & unsure).

They did nail the CBR250R though, got to give them credit for that.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: COOL (but just)

I had to really think about this bike and where I think it should go, as others have mentioned the V4 engine is the crown jewel of the VFR800X, although I do agree that the model "VFR800" really souldn't be in there as I equate "VFR" to a sport bike, not crossover type bike.

I'm not at all sold on the "The European design team designed a motorcycle that reflects the riding conditions of this new decade." Living in Europe I see the designs out here and they really are not that much different than what we have in North America, just more of them. If anything "European design" should be more heritage than "futuristic", the Honda classic UJM would apply here vs the DN-01. The most popular bikes I've seen around the UK are UJM's, naked, standard, lighter and smaller (600cc is the most popular). The Crossrunner just wouldn't really fit into Europe for lane-splitting (or filtering as we call it here), it's too big and wide and you don't need a V4 800cc engine, there isn't much in the way of open roads or straight roads and big size and power is more of a con than a pro.

I like how Honda says "The 2012 Honda Crossrunner represents the best aspects of two seperate biking genres: The flexibility and exciting attitude of a naked performance machine with the upright riding position and rugged appearance of an adventure bike." That sounds appealing, but WHERE IS THE NAKED LOOK!? You do not need an adventure bike to go on an adventure or even do a little off-roading (like this one might do) a UJM does all that fine and it would be lighter too.

In the end it's just Cool, no more, I'm sure it would be interesting to see in person and the ride and engine would put a smile on your face, but...

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

agraebner wrote:I like seeing a company try something new. I think this is an attempt in a good direction. The specifications of the bike look pretty good. I am not so keen on the general look of the "new high tech" bikes. I have recently decided for myself my nighthawk IS THE all around bike for me. Since I have had it I have kicked myself daily for not buying a nighthawk new instead of the shadow. I wanted a nighthawk at the time but the dealer talked me into the shadow.
I really like the 90's Nighthawk CB750, it was a real UJM for the 90's, it was discredited in the media because it just did everything well (as a UJM should), not amazing and thus the media missed the point of the UJM. Kawasaki had the Zypher series then as well back then. I was going to buy a 90's Nighthawk CB750 (they didn't sell them in Canada) and only found 1 but I remember it had too many miles on it (US import) and was too expensive, so I purchased the Yamaha Seca 650 instead. (cash was tight then).

I agree, it is good to see Honda try new things, but I think they are losing focus on what they have always did best, design for the common rider something that may not be a head turner but it will be reliable as a brick.

Mike