2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

Your Coolness Factor of the 2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R is..

You may select 1 option

View results

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: 2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - COOL WALL VOTE: VOTE NOW!

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Awww man, now I'm feeling all gushy about current-production, open-class, modern classic, naked bruisers. Maybe we can have a Cool Wall comparo one of these days; ZRX1200R vs Honda CB1300S vs Yamaha XJR1300. And maybe the Bandit 1250, even though it isn't as retro as the others, just so we've got reps from the big 4.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#12 Unread post by rayian »

Kawasaki just needs to develop a v4 engine for that bike and get rid of that headlight cowling then it would definitley be awesome.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#13 Unread post by High_Side »

I liked the Eddie Lawson rep looks but never thought the bike would work as well as it does until I rode one. Years ago I test rode one back to back with the then-new Z1000 and the ZRX was a better ride in just about every way. I'd take mine in the very rare blue with silver wheels combo.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:I liked the Eddie Lawson rep looks but never thought the bike would work as well as it does until I rode one. Years ago I test rode one back to back with the then-new Z1000 and the ZRX was a better ride in just about every way. I'd take mine in the very rare blue with silver wheels combo.
Did you tell me this or did I just forget? I'd be interested in hearing more. I too like the blue one and even the silver/grey.

rayian wrote:Kawasaki just needs to develop a v4 engine for that bike and get rid of that headlight cowling then it would definitley be awesome.
That would be pretty amazing naked bike. Honda DID make it, it was the old 80's Honda Sabre. (not the cruiser Sable of today).

Grey Thumper wrote:Awww man, now I'm feeling all gushy about current-production, open-class, modern classic, naked bruisers. Maybe we can have a Cool Wall comparo one of these days; ZRX1200R vs Honda CB1300S vs Yamaha XJR1300. And maybe the Bandit 1250, even though it isn't as retro as the others, just so we've got reps from the big 4.
I know how you feel (all gushy about current-production, open-class, modern classic, naked bruisers), the sad thing is there are few UJMs around these days new from the major 4 sold in North America. In the UK/Europe you have the naked Bandit 1250's, CB1300's, GSX1400's, XJR1300 (but the ZRX isn't sold here either). You can see the 2011 UK Suzuki onroad brochure here for all their naked bikes. There is even a new GSR750 naked that I'm hoping will come to North America: http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/onroad2011/a ... ochure.pdf

That's an interesting idea a Cool Wall shootout. Bikes of a simular theme. I think you get a :star: for that idea but it will take a bit to come up with how to work it out with the cool wall ratings of each bike, I think if I have enough of the same bike's already rated then I can lump them together for a shootout.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side

#15 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
High_Side wrote:I liked the Eddie Lawson rep looks but never thought the bike would work as well as it does until I rode one. Years ago I test rode one back to back with the then-new Z1000 and the ZRX was a better ride in just about every way. I'd take mine in the very rare blue with silver wheels combo.
Did you tell me this or did I just forget? I'd be interested in hearing more. I too like the blue one and even the silver/grey.

Mike
I likely told you as I was looking at the Z1000 at the time - back in '03. The ZRX felt much more solid though not as flickable as the Z. The engine of the Z-Rex had way more torque and it was a big bike that was easy to go fast on. The right amount of modern feel vs. retro styling in my opinion.
Blue is best.....

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote: I'd take mine in the very rare blue with silver wheels combo.Blue is best.....
I have to agree, it does look amazing in blue.

Again, WHY isn't Kawasaski making this still? Seriously!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#17 Unread post by Wrider »

While I agree with you guys, the only thing keeping it from an Awesome vote to me is the lack of FI. Cool
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

High_Side

#18 Unread post by High_Side »

Wrider wrote:While I agree with you guys, the only thing keeping it from an Awesome vote to me is the lack of FI. Cool
That wouldn't stop me for one minute. Technically fuel injection should be better (although motorcycle carbs were very much advanced), but every fuel injection bike that I have owned has come with less than spot-on fueling. Jump back to the early 2000s and the emissions constraints had yet to cause every new bike to run extra lean. The Z-Rex that I rode fueled awesomely.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:While I agree with you guys, the only thing keeping it from an Awesome vote to me is the lack of FI. Cool
I do see your point, it did turn me off from the bike originally as well, I was thinking, damn, if it only have FI. I thought about what you said above and it comes down to this:

Choice A: Take the very last, most advanced generation of carbs
Choice B: The the early FI.

Makes me pause a moment and think about that. I think Carbs can be tuned as well more finely than FI (I'm not an expert on tuning) but with Carbs you can replace the jets, needles and even the carb itself for a bigger size...

The new 2011 has FI in Japan so maybe they were working on it and IF Kawasaki made a ZRX one more year it would have had the FI... I don't know...

Mike

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#20 Unread post by jstark47 »

There's one of these sitting under a tarp in front of a house on my daily commute. Hasn't moved for several years. Breaks my heart to see it sitting and rotting.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S