2009 Yamaha MT-01 - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2009 Yamaha MT-01 is..

You may select 1 option

View results

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

Re: 2009 Yamaha MT-01 - VOTE: In Progress

#11 Unread post by rayian »

I'd rather have a Ducati Diavel. Still, I'll give it a cool vote.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#12 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Looks quirky and full of character, lots of interesting detailing, enough to squeeze into the cool category, for me. I think a Buell Lightning is a more interesting and innovative take on a similar theme though.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Voted: COOL

It's very unique and the sound is addictive. I even created a YouTube video for it because of it. Yamaha calls it "kodo" for the sound of drums. I would even buy the stage 1 kit for it which includes the Akropovik (sp?) exhausts.

I really like it myself, it is a great looking naked standard bike with a brutal torquey engine and balls to the wall attitude... maybe I should have voted awesome? But cool is definately is!

The only 3 things that worry me about it are:

1. The small gas tank (15L)
2. The RPM limit (around 5600?)
3. The price new (which I think is the #1 reason the bike didn't sell well).

Overall, it is a very nice bike and one that will get you noticed.

NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#14 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

It'd be great to hear from people who actually own one. I like the sound and power characteristics of cruiser engines, but prefer the riding position and handling of standards, so I'm quite curious what this bike feels like.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:It'd be great to hear from people who actually own one. I like the sound and power characteristics of cruiser engines, but prefer the riding position and handling of standards, so I'm quite curious what this bike feels like.
madjak30 owns one, I'm sure he will chime in on this topic soon...

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#16 Unread post by madjak30 »

Vote: AWESOME!!

Torque is the word here...110lbs/ft worth of the stuff...if ridden conservatively you can get decent consumption, but if you play with the torque a lot...well, not so good...comfort is similar to the Honda 919

The small tank was what held me back for a while, but I get 200kms before the fuel light comes on...so not terrible...but you will be hard pressed to find a bike with more "personality", pops and growls on downshifts (watch the engine braking, is more abrupt than you might expect)...but it was the sound that totally sold me.

I think it's a great bike, but not if you want to go two up...not so comfy for the passenger...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#17 Unread post by Markg1 »

If it's from yamaha, it's gotta be cool! I would have voted awesome but we can't get it here in the US! Is that engine in any other bike that yamaha has out?
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#18 Unread post by madjak30 »

Well...sort of...it's the engine from the Warrior cruiser that has been tuned up to add 20Hp & 20TQ...has a chain drive instead of the belt...standard riding position...

Here is a video that I made in response to some requests to hear the bike...I took some clips from other videos to make this one...hope you enjoy it!!

Later.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Great video! Thanks for adding that and for adding the comments about the engine and gas tank as well. 200km a tank isn't bad then. From the video all I could think was... "Wow, I want it!" the sound is amazing and the bike it looks amazing too.

Nice to see Calgary again via the video.

Anything you would add/improve to the bike? (maybe a bigger tank?)... do you find when you accelerate (or pass) do you "run out of RPMs" and it bounces off the red line?

Mike

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#20 Unread post by madjak30 »

There is a guy in Germany that makes a 20L tank for it...not sure if I will pony up the cash for it though...$$$...as for the RPM and the rev limitter...at first I did (used to an 11,000rpm redline), but once used to the shift points it isn't a problem...third rev'd to 5500rpm has you going 150kph, so it's only a concern in first and second!! and the bike pulls hard enough in fifth that you really don't have to down shift, unless you are really being agressive...

Luggage availability...the width of the exhaust makes it hard to attach saddle bags (which I prefer over a tail bag)...I will be experimenting with brackets this winter...1/4" rod & a welder...a guys gotta have a winter project!!

Later.