2012 Indian Chief Vintage - Cool Wall Vote: Uncool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Indian Chief Vintage is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Indian Chief Vintage - Cool Wall Vote: Uncool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Indian Chief Vintage

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... intage.htm

2012 Indian Chief Vintage

Based on the 1948 Chief, the 2012 Indian Chief Vintage's two-tone paint schemes, chrome Indian tank badge, and fender light take you back to the era where the Indian Chief ruled the highway.

Distressed tan leather with fringe covers the solo seat and saddlebags to give the Chief Vintage a distinctive nostalgic look.

60-spoke chrome wheels with classic whitewall tires complete the vintage appearance.

Colors: Thunder Black, Indian Red, Willow Green & Ivory Cream, Indian Red & Ivory Cream, Arizona Turquoise & Winter White.

2012 Indian Chief Vintage Features and Benefits

Styling
" Chromed teardrop halogen headlamp
" Auxilliary driving lamps
" Die-cast console - color matched
" Black and polished engine with chrome covers
" Chromed spoke wheels
" Two-into-one stainless steel exhaust system with three-way catalytic converter and chromed shields
" Long skirt fenders and dual-tone paint available
" Metal tank badge
" Chrome fender tips
" Engine guards

Powertrain
" Air-cooled pushrod Power Plus 105ci engine
" Closed loop, sequential, port injection with heated oxygen sensors
" Six speed transmission Chassis
" Solo seat, with passenger pillion available in destressed tan leather with fringe
" 5.5 gallon fuel tank
" Brembo brake system with dual floating rotors and 4 piston calipers in the front, and single floating rotor and two piston caliper in the rear
" Two accessory 12V outlets
" Quick-release windshield
" Vintage saddle bags in distressed tan with fringe

Electrical
" Tank-mounted analog speedometer and multi-function digital display
" Charging system: 42 amps
" Lamps: teardrop headlamp, glass front fender light, auxilliary spot lights
" No electrical relays

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Indian Chief Vintage - Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: $35,999 Solid color, $36,899 Two-Tone color, USD

Dimensions
Length 100.5"
Width 40.5"
Height 50.5"
Seat Height 27.25"
Wheelbase 68.4"
Dry Weight 753 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight 1260 lbs
Rake Steering Head/Trail 34°/5.92"

Engine
Engine Type Power Plus 105, Air-Cooled
Displacement 105 Cubic Inches
Bore x Stroke 3.966" x 4.25"
Compression Ratio 9 to 1
Fuel System Closed Loop Sequential Port Fuel Injection

Drivetrain
Primary Drive Chain
Gearbox Six Speed
Gear Ratio (overall)
1st 3.77:1
2nd 2.56:1
3rd 1.87:1
4th 1.44:1
5th 1.15:1
6th 1.1:1
Final Drive Belt

Chassis
Frame High tensile steel
Suspension/Front Diameter 41 mm/Travel 4.25"
Suspension/Rear Single shock/travel 2.90"
Brakes/Front Dual Caliper with Floating Rotors
Brakes/Rear Single Caliper with Floating Rotor
Tires/Front 130/90-16 White Wall
Tires/Rear 150/80-16 White Wall
Wheels Spoked wire
Exhaust System Two-into-one stainless steel

Electrical
Electrical Instruments Aanalog speedometer and muti-function digital display
Charging System 42 Amps
Lamps Teardrop headlamp, glass front fender light, auxillary spot lights

Warranty 2 Years

Pricing $35,999 Solid color, $36,899 Two-Tone color

Colors
Thunder Black
Indian Red
Willow Green & Ivory Cream
Indian Red & Ivory Cream
Arizona Turquoise & Winter White

Standard equipment
Long Fenders
Solo Seat w/ Passenger Pillion
Vintage Leather Saddlebags
Windshield
Leather Fringe
Chrome Grab Rail
Chrome Fender Tips
Engine Guards
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2012 Indian Chief Vintage - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Indian Motorycle models. Indian's bright future.

With Indian motorcycle now owned by Polaris (who make Victory as well) Indian has a bright future ahead with substantial backing. The new 2012 Indian Chief models are just a glimpse of what is to come. Check out the new 2012 Indian Chief Classic, Chief Vintage and Chief Dark Horse and see the future. 2012 Indian Motorcycle Model Guide: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... indian.htm

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

Holy Crap!! Did you notice the price $36,899 USD...what will it be in Canada?? Over $40k?? Umm...no thanks!!

And with tassles...I mean "fringe"...I don't think the "heritage" of the Indian name is quite worth that entry fee...that and I'm just not into the style of the bike...I'll take th Victory CrossRoad for $16,729 CDN and accessorize, insure it, put fuel into it for about 20yrs...

Just not my "cup-O-tea"...vote: FAIL

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

I'm mulling over Uncool vs. Fail.

There's a bunch of things I don't get here. (Actually haven't "gotten it" since 2009 when they started selling these).
  • 1) It's a Harley clone. OK, a nice one, but still a clone. Yes I know it's a proprietary engine, it's still a Harley clone.
    2) It's 36K USD. The Chief Classic is $9,500 cheaper (still overpriced though.) For the extra $9500 I'm getting a windshield, two-tone paint, and nice leather saddlebags with fringe..... those must be some damn nice bags for that kind of money!!
    3) It's a Harley clone. I could go get the real thing, a Heritage Softail Classic, and have approximately 100 times as many dealers around to provide support. If I couldn't make up my mind about color, I could get two Heritage Softail Classics, and still spend less than I would on this thing!!!
    4) For $300 more, I could get a CVO Ultra Classic, and have something I could actually tour on instead of just pretty garage jewelery.
    5) And, by the way, it doesn't look anything at all like a 1948 Chief.
I'll be charitable. Uncool. It was a close run thing, though.......
Last edited by jstark47 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

Had to think about this one. At first glance, I thought it looked cool but then I thought the same thing when I first saw the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but then you realize it was little more then a Neon with a body kit on it. And that the feeling I am getting with this bike, its a body kit fitted over some other bikes chassis and engine.

Yeah, it looks neat, but do we really need another over priced cruiser in the market? Sure the marque has history and tradition but what with HD, Victory and of course all the Japanese, Korean Chinese and even Triumph pumping out cruisers, you would think the market place was already staturated.

Think I will go for fail.
Always ask why.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm with you three, I'm gonna go with uncool because 37K for a 105 CI air cooled HD clone?
It's a cool bike in and of itself, sure, but overpriced doesn't begin to cover it...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Uncool. IMHO, there's absolutely nothing interesting about this bike.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went agaist the grain and voted: Awesome

The Vintage (or Indian look) isn't my style, but I have to say I'm highly impressed with it's fit and finish and it's vintage looks. The paint schemes are spot on for the era too. (look at the big 2000pixel photos here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... intage.htm and see what I mean)

Indian is older than Harley-Davidson (thus, H-D would be the CLONE of Indian, not the other way around). The price, well, it's too high like many of you have said and I agree, but it is good to see Indian back again with proper backing and support. Polaris is a big company and they can really do something with the Indian name, even make it bigger than Harely's if they get the marketing right.

2012 is the first year of re-introduction of the Indian again (after 2009), and there are only a few models but I do expect to see more either later this year or for the 2013 model year. These 3 are most likely the ones that were "left over" from 2009 or there were enough parts to put a few thousand together to sell.

Now the dealers have a choice to make since the last 2 collapses of the Indian brand didn't go down well and left "Indian only" dealerships high and dry, not sure what Polaris will do with this, maybe they will sell Indian and Victory out of the same dealerships then? Victory dealerships are generally brand specific anyways.

Now hopefully we might see some less bulky bikes from Indian (maybe a "sportster" like model) to get riders into the brand again and bring it back.

Ok, there is my 2 cents in there...

Mike

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#9 Unread post by mogster »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Indian is older than Harley-Davidson (thus, H-D would be the CLONE of Indian, not the other way around). The price, well, it's too high like many of you have said and I agree, but it is good to see Indian back again with proper backing and support. Polaris is a big company and they can really do something with the Indian name, even make it bigger than Harely's

Now hopefully we might see some less bulky bikes from Indian (maybe a "sportster" like model) to get riders into the brand again and bring it back.

Mike
Well said Mike! I was going to say almost the same.

I agree the price is ridiculous but presumably these bikes are just a tease & we will hopefully see more affordable models on the market soon.

I wouldn't want one of these bikes myself but if Polaris money can bring more competition into the "American" bike market, what's wrong with that?

I voted COOL based on the concept of encouraging a new (old) marque.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#10 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Indian is older than Harley-Davidson (thus, H-D would be the CLONE of Indian, not the other way around).
The Indian that was older than Harley Davidson went out of business in 1953. This bike has nothing to do with that Indian company - stand this alongside a real 1948 Indian Chief and you'll see what I mean. This Indian company started in 2009, building on the design of the Gilroy Indian company (1999-2003). I'll give them 1999 as a start date, max. They are Harley clones.

If you want to see the closest thing to a modern real Indian, look here: http://www.kiwiindian.com/replica.html
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S