2012 Indian Chief Vintage - Cool Wall Vote: Uncool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Indian Chief Vintage is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2012 Indian Chief Vintage - VOTE NOW

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Indian is older than Harley-Davidson (thus, H-D would be the CLONE of Indian, not the other way around).
The Indian that was older than Harley Davidson went out of business in 1953.
Interesting. Well, if you count that, then you have to count Harley-Davidons's bankruptcy in 1969. What happend to Indian in 1948 was they lost the WWII motorcycle contract and they couldn't make motorcycles in volume anymore (their plants turned to the war efforts), if Harley-Davidson lost the WWII contract the same would have been done. After the war, H-D had so much extra money and R&D there was no stopping them really.

By "oldest" it's the brand name, not the bike, if it was the bike, then I think we would all have to agree the "oldest" would be Royal Enfiend who have been making motorcycles, mostly unchanged, since the 40's.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#12 Unread post by HYPERR »

If George Hendee knew that a company that bears the same name as the innovative one he founded was making such antique relics and shameless copies of their once arch rival Harley Davidson, he would be spinning in his grave at 15,000 rpm.

If Indian remained in production all these years, there is no way they would be making grossly overpriced copy of their competition. Like others have said, if you want a bike like this, Harley makes one that is much better at about half the price.

Bloor did the Triumph name right. The Indian name will unfortunately continue to have mud slinged at it.

FAIL.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#13 Unread post by mogster »

HYPERR wrote:Like others have said, if you want a bike like this, Harley makes one that is much better at about half the price.
+ other brands available!!

This what kind of annoys me about Harley Davidson........they & their enthusiasts seem to think they have a monopoly on cruisers.

Personally I wouldn't want a Harley Davidson either, but I am not anti cruiser (hence the Rocket III in the shed).

Surely we should rejoice that a famous old marque is back in the market? OK they may not have got it right this time, but if they can sell a few & Polaris keep funding R&D then who knows what may appear?

Would the anti revivalists also prefer Norton to give up?
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#14 Unread post by jstark47 »

mogster wrote:Would the anti revivalists also prefer Norton to give up?
Until they start selling a bike that's price competitive with Triumph, I don't care what they do. The 961's a gorgeous bike, but it's irrelevant to people like me who can't afford a $26K bike.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#15 Unread post by mogster »

jstark47 wrote:The 961's a gorgeous bike, but it's irrelevant to people like me who can't afford a $26K bike.
You are right it is gorgeous & far too expensive for mere mortals like you & me but we can all dream............:D

I can't afford many things but I can still admire them from afar. :lol:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

blues2cruise
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#16 Unread post by blues2cruise »

For the price tag they should be offering more than a 2 year warranty.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, I've never seen a bike up on the Cool Wall with such a mixture of votes! It's evenly split between them all!

This has to be not only the closest vote yet, but the most "mixed" opinions to boot!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229

#18 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I'm out on a limb on this one... I voted awesome.

The Indian look is so classic, it will always be in fashion. I don't care if they went bankrupt or not, what's really amazing is that someone always brings it back. Just think how many times that happens in life... and then realise that this is a rarity...

I am not a cruiser person and not a tassle person, etc. but the look of this bike is just so crazy classic it's very cool. I don't see how it deserves so many uncool and fail votes...!

The price is steep but I'm guessing the costs of resurrecting the brand and creating the first lineup are high. Hopefully at least a few sell so it sticks around this time.

PS: H-D accepted government bail-out money when it took a payment from TARP in 2008... if they didn't do that, where would they be now? I'm just asking...
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders' (VT) amendment to the Wall Street Reform Bill required the Federal Reserve to reveal the names of companies that received "backdoor bailouts" through a program that used liquidity and credit programs and other monetary policy tools to respond to the financial crisis in the summer of 2007. According to Sanders, Goldman Sachs received nearly $600 billion; Morgan Stanley received nearly $2 trillion; Citigroup received $1.8 trillion; Bear Stearns received nearly $1 trillion, and Merrill Lynch received some $1.5 trillion in short term loans from the Fed. In addition, some of the largest corporations in the country also received substantial bailouts, including General Electric, McDonald's, Caterpillar, Harley Davidson, Toyota and Verizon. Huge sums also went to foreign private banks and corporations including Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse.
Andrea :sun:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#19 Unread post by jstark47 »

sunshine229 wrote:I am not a cruiser person and not a tassle person, etc. but the look of this bike is just so crazy classic it's very cool.
Yes, indeedy! It's called a Heritage Softail Classic, and Harley-Davidson will sell you a lovely two-tone one for about $18K (US). :mrgreen:

sunshine229 wrote:I don't see how it deserves so many uncool and fail votes...!
'cause what's cool at $18K stops being cool at $36K. For $36K I could buy the Heritage Softail Class and a Ford Fiesta to drive on rainy days!!! :frusty:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

gerjets
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2010/Harley Davidson/Heritage Softail

#20 Unread post by gerjets »

This bike IS in my style since I own a HD Heritage Softail...complete with fringe...I think everything about this bike is beautiful except for the price tag.