2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 WGP 50th Anniv Ed - VOTED: AWESOME

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 WorldGP 50th Anniversary Edition is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 WGP 50th Anniv Ed - VOTED: AWESOME

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 WorldGP 50th Anniversary Edition

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... dition.htm

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 WorldGP 50th Anniversary Edition

Born to win

With an exclusive new colour scheme based on Yamaha's Assen TT-winning MotoGP bike, the WGP 50th Anniversary R1 celebrates Yamaha’s remarkable Grand Prix heritage. Featuring an innovative crossplane-crankshaft with an uneven firing interval, the R1 kicks out high levels of linear torque for superior traction. Using the MotoGP-developed TCS, R1 riders can now adjust the performance characteristics of the 998cc in-line 4-cylinder engine for more exciting cornering on the highway and reduced lap times on the circuit. A compact aluminium Deltabox chassis delivers precision handling – and for optimised high speed performance the latest R1 is equipped with a new front cowl.

YAMAHA WGP 50TH ANNIVERSARY MODELS

Fifty years after Yamaha sent its first ever GP riders to compete in the World Championships, our newest factory rider Ben Spies helped to commemorate the occasion with his maiden MotoGP win at Assen in June 2011. Riding a YZR-M1 in Yamaha's specially-designed red and white WGP 50th Anniversary livery, Spies was continuing the strong tradition of winning that has enabled Yamaha to become one of the industry's most innovative and creative manufacturers.

Ever since it made its first motorcycle, Yamaha has believed that racing improves the breed. From winning our first ever Grand Prix points at the Isle of Man TT in June 1961 through to this year's MotoGP victories by Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies, every single success on the track allows our engineers and designers to develop and refine tomorrow's cutting-edge street-bikes.

Over the past fifty years Yamaha's racing programme has led to the development of some of the most innovative engine and chassis technologies -as well as the creation of the most ground-breaking race-developed models like the YZF-R1, whose crossplane crankshaft is a direct spin-off from the factory YZR-M1 racer.

To celebrate half a century of success in Grand Prix racing, Yamaha will produce a limited quantity of exclusive 'WGP 50th Anniversary' motorcycles and scooters. Based on the classic colour schemes debuted on the YZR-M1 by Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies in 2011, this very special timeless livery is inspired by the famous red and white 'speedblock' design featured on Yamaha's pioneering Grand Prix racing machines.

This desirable and exclusive WGP 50th Anniversary colour scheme will be available on limited quantities of YZF-R1, YZF-R6, YZF-R125, FZ8, Aerox and TZR50 for the 2012 model year. Owners of these exclusive new WGP 50th Anniversary models will receive a special certificate of authentication, and will also receive Yamaha's 'Insider' magazine which contains the latest news, interviews and new model information.

In addition to the ECU changes and new traction control system, which combine to achieve a new level of drivability, the R1 features a more aggressive fairing "face" with new eye catching LED illumination lights. Other new styling highlights include the muffler covers and muffler end tips plus a MotoGP inspired lightweight top triple clamp.

The 2011 AMA Superbike Championship winning R1 with its cross plane crank and uneven firing order has taken another evolutionary step forward for 2012 with the addition of traction control and revised ECU settings. These changes make it easier for the experienced rider to bring out the full performance of the new 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition while enjoying the unique character and sound of the revolutionary cross plane engine.

With back-to-back American Superbike Championships, and more MotoGP-inspired than ever, the R1 is the world’s most advanced Open-class production motorcycle.

The 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition is unlinke anything before. Benefitting from even more MotoGP technology for 2012 with new sevel-level traction control and the World GP 50th Anniversary livery option. The World GP livery includes a 50th Anniversary emblem on top of the fuel tank and a special numbered plate showing the production number of only 2000 units that will be produced worldwide. From the track to the street, it truly is "the 1."

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition Highlights and Key Features:

Fuel Consumption ± 14kpl/40mpg(Imp)

New, more aggressive front fairing

7 - position traction control

Key Features:

•For 2012, the YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition receives another benefit from MotoGP® technology – a seven-level Traction Control System. The system has been developed so the rider does not feel any unnatural or harsh intervention from the system. In addition, traction control can aid in reducing tire wear due to less wheel spin. Coupled with the three level D-Mode electronics throttle response control, riders have 21 different choices available to tailor the YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition to their riding preference.

•World GP 50th Anniversary Edition celebrates Yamaha’s racing heritage with Pearl White/Rapid Red livery. Includes a 50th Anniversary emblem on top of the fuel tank and a special numbered plate showing the production number of only 2000 units that will be produced worldwide in these commemorative colors. Gold Yamaha badges are used on the fuel tank, front, and rear of the motorcycle, and an additional small sticker kit will be provided.

•The 2012 YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition has a new headlight cowl designed to be sharper, more modern, and more aggressive. LED position lights are used for a high quality and distinctive look. Out back, the muffler end caps and heat shields are restyled for a more mechanical look. And a new top triple clamp is styled after the YZR-M1.

•This R1 keeps all the technological superiorities developed for its predecessor: YCC-T™ (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) is MotoGP® inspired fly-by-wire technology used to deliver instant throttle response. YCC-I® is Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake which is a variable intake system that broadens the spread of power. The fuel injection system provides optimum air/fuel mixtures for maximum power and smooth throttle response.

•In keeping with this machine’s exceptional cornering ability and crisp handling, the aluminum frame has been designed to offer exceptional rigidity balance. The rear frame is lightweight Controlled-Fill die-cast magnesium, contributing the optimum mass centralization. Suspension includes SOQI front forks which use one of the tricks developed for our winning MotoGP® bikes: independent damping. The left fork handles compression damping and the right side handles the rebound damping. And the rear shock adopts bottom linkage for optimum suspension characteristics.

•The sound on the YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition is unlike any other inline four cylinder production supersport. The precise and throaty pulse of the exhaust note will have riders enthused every time the throttle is opened.

New for 2012:

•Seven-level Traction Control System allows the rider to get more traction and drive while exiting corners.

•New ECU settings provide excellent drivability during low and mid rpm acceleration.

•New top triple clamps add to the appearance of the YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition, reminiscent of the MotoGP® powerhouse YZR-M1.

•The footrests have been redesigned for great boot sole contact and advanced rider/motorcycle interface.

•New headlight cowl styling and LED position lights enhance the YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition’s unique styling.

•New silencer heat guards and end caps are re-styled to give the rear end of the bike a more compact look ,while at the same time making the individual parts look more mechanical.

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 50th Anniversary Edition - USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP* $14,490 (World GP 50th Anniversary - Pearl White/Rapid Red) Available from October 2011

ENGINE
Type 998cc, liquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC 16 valves (titanium intake valves)
Bore x Stroke 78.0mm X 52.2mm
Compression Ratio 12.7:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed w/multiplate slipper clutch
Final Drive #530 O-ring chain

CHASSIS
Suspension / Front 43mm inverted fork; fully adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock w/piggyback reservoir; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 310mm disc; radial-mount forged 6-piston calipers
Brakes / Rear 220mm disc; single-piston caliper
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 190/55ZR17

DIMENSIONS
Length 81.5 in
Width 28.1 in
Height 44.5 in
Seat Height 32.8 in
Wheelbase 55.7 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 24.0°
Trail 4.0 in
Fuel Capacity 4.8 gal
Fuel Economy** 33 mpg
Wet Weight*** 454 lb

OTHER
Primary Reduction Ratio 65/43 (1.512)
Secondary Reduction Ratio 47/17 (2.765)
Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 38/15 (2.533)
Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 33/16 (2.063)
Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 37/21 (1.762)
Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 35/23 (1.522)
Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 30/22 (1.364)
Gear Ratio - 6th Gear 33/26 (1.269)
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... dition.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 WGP 50th Anniv Ed - VOTE N

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is a "New 2012 model" as it has been extensively redesigned and added to vs the 2011 YZF-R1.

Take a special note of the "Seven-level Traction Control System", TCS is more common on cars and I do not remember seeing it ever before on a motorcycle! Does this mean the end of burnouts?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

A pretty cool bike promoting Yamaha's racing heritage and technology. Somhow the engine is lost in all the blackness. It needs some highlights to bring out that massive lump of engine/trans/clutch, etc. and separate it from the frame. I love the black chassis, wheel, engine stuff, but too much is too much. Maybe they could done the cylinder heads in red, or done some kindof highlighting. Perhaps the photo is also just too dark on my welfare quality netbook screen :-)
totalmotorcycle wrote:T TCS is more common on cars and I do not remember seeing it ever before on a motorcycle!
hmmm... these current bikes come to mind as having traction control systems: Kawi ZX10, BMW S1000R, Aprilia RSV4, Ducati 1198... and I cant say that I pay much attention to the sportbike scene lately, so likely there are others. Yamaha's is a nicely advanced system, no doubt, as the data and application of the technology evolves. Zip-Zowie-Zoom-Zoom!

The whole genesis of this stuff goes back more than 10 years into simpler systems that started with altered ignition timing dependant upon gear selection, then advanced to what would be considered active/real-time traction control systems today: dependant upon gear selection, speed, throttle position, and wheel slippage (calculated by speed variance (i.e. front speed vs rear wheel speed, final-drive rotation vs rear-wheel rotation, etc.).

Although Yamaha has pioneered some information gathering sensors and telemetry bits in racing and in preproduction, they often test for a very long time while other manufacturers release earlier. I recall the GSXR had a multiple position switch for for "wet-dry-race" modes a few years ago, which was not as advanced a system of the other manufacturers "traction control" but still a useful step...
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

Great Looks, incredible performance, and Big Bang sound, what's not to like?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#5 Unread post by Markg1 »

Awesome! This bike would look nice in my garage! The core of the bike has been is pretty much unchanged since it's introduction.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/art ... icle=46014
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#6 Unread post by rayian »

This bike seems to leave people speechless. Awesome.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

rayian wrote:This bike seems to leave people speechless. Awesome.
more like people are thinking "meh, another crotch rocket, not worth commenting on". I voted cool, though I have to admit I like the styling, reminds me of the crotch rockets of the mid to late 80's.
Always ask why.

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#8 Unread post by rayian »

ceemes wrote:more like people are thinking "meh, another crotch rocket, not worth commenting on".

Not just "another crotch rocket" but part of the leading edge in sport bike development. A world championship capable bike.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#9 Unread post by ceemes »

rayian wrote:
ceemes wrote:more like people are thinking "meh, another crotch rocket, not worth commenting on".

Not just "another crotch rocket" but part of the leading edge in sport bike development. A world championship capable bike.
be that as it may, I think in the eyes of most people, its "just another crotch rocket" given the lack of response in voting and comments. But like I said, I like the looks of it, it reminds me of the race bikes of my 20's and 30's, the type of bike I lusted after back then. I had a friend who use to race RZ 350's at the old Westwood track in BC, and this bike looks a bit like his race machine. Mind you, he had a habit of riding around the track in the back of the ambulance more then on his bike. :laughing:
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by HYPERR »

I wish they had gone a little more wild on the graphics.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS