2012 Hyosung GV650 Aquila Pro - VOTED: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Hyosung GV650 Aquila Pro is..

You may select 1 option

View results

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: This Week: 2012 Hyosung GV650 Aquila Pro - VOTE NOW

#11 Unread post by High_Side »

rayian wrote:I don't know about "remarkable modern sport-styling". Doesn't look much like a sport bike to me. So where's the torque and hp numbers?
Just a gut feeling but I vote fail.
The engine is a knock-off of the engine in your SV so they do go very well for a 650 cruiser..... just not fast enough to out-run the ugly stick! :P

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#12 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Lots of clutter in the wiring, plumbing, and other details, awkward bodywork, weird proportions. I think a motorcycle should make you take one last, longing look back at it before you enter your front door, and IMHO this just won't.

Give it points for value and for (presumed) performance, but for almost 7K, I'd rather buy a year-old V-Star.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Grr
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

#13 Unread post by Grr »

I vote awesome, just to annoy people :D

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

rayian wrote:I don't know about "remarkable modern sport-styling". Doesn't look much like a sport bike to me. So where's the torque and hp numbers?
Just a gut feeling but I vote fail.
Here you go:

Max Power 53.6kW (71.8 horsepower) / @9000RPM
Max Torque 61.4Nm (45.3 lbs/ft) / @7250RPM

Vs. their "full on sportbike" the GT650R

Max Power 54.2kW / @9000RPM
Max Torque 60.9Nm / @7250RPM
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#15 Unread post by rayian »

High_Side wrote: The engine is a knock-off of the engine in your SV so they do go very well for a 650 cruiser..... just not fast enough to out-run the ugly stick! :P
Power/torque sounds decent. How do they get away with this total rip-off copycat stuff. Do they pay Suzuki a royalty fee or something. Their sport bike is almost a complete SV copy.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#16 Unread post by HYPERR »

Hyosung has an albatross. Unfortunately for the Koreans, even though the two languages have nothing in common, nor even sound alike, some Korean names look Chinese to Westerners. I bet many people see the name Hyosung and assume it is Chinese. Being mistaken for a Chinese company would be highly detrimental for any business. South Korean product is far superior to anything that comes out of or will ever come out of China.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

wpetraska
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Hyosung GV650

#17 Unread post by wpetraska »

Hey guys,

I actually own a GV650 (a 2009 model) and I really like it. Apart from some issues that should have been addressed by the dealer after uncrating, it's been a solid bike. Plenty of get up and go.

Also, the engine isn't so much of a "knock off" of the SV motor because Hyosung actually made Suzuki's SV motor for the longest time. After a while, the company split off and took some of the Suzuki engineers with them thus the similarities. S&T Motors bought the Hyosung Motors company in 2008 I believe so you might see the name "Hyosung" being dropped. Even now, their logo was changed to "Hyosung by S&T Motors".

The main weak points of these bikes are the electronics specifically the rectifier/regulator. Apart from that, there's a strong online community that can help with any other issues.

I'm 23 so I wanted a large bike that wouldn't be too much for me to handle. I got this bike for $5,000, brand new so I couldn't beat it. The best thing you can do if you own one is learn everything about it and do all the maintenance yourself. Hyosung's dealer network is nothing but thieves and ignorant mechanics that know nothing about the bikes.

One quick note, the pictures you have up for the 2012 model are last year's model. :( 2012 has a new rear fender.

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#18 Unread post by Markg1 »

I like the way it looks. cool.
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#19 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

One of the smartest things that Kia/Hyundai did (aside from having fantastic warranties) was to hire top notch design people. Peter Schreyer (ex-Audi, and the guy who designed the Audi TT and 1st gen New Beetle, among others) is the Design Director for Kia, while IIRC Hyundai's design head, Thomas Buerkle, is ex-BMW.

Price can be a competitive advantage for only a limited amount of time (especially since it isn't exactly cheap to make stuff in Korea). You've gotta make stuff look desirable (or at least, not look bad). Maybe it's something Hyosung can consider, especially for a highly emotional purchase like a motorcycle. Ducatis have amazing performance, but would they be as successful without good design?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#20 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

wpetraska wrote:Hey guys,

I actually own a GV650 (a 2009 model) and I really like it. Apart from some issues that should have been addressed by the dealer after uncrating, it's been a solid bike. Plenty of get up and go.

Also, the engine isn't so much of a "knock off" of the SV motor because Hyosung actually made Suzuki's SV motor for the longest time. After a while, the company split off and took some of the Suzuki engineers with them thus the similarities. S&T Motors bought the Hyosung Motors company in 2008 I believe so you might see the name "Hyosung" being dropped. Even now, their logo was changed to "Hyosung by S&T Motors".

The main weak points of these bikes are the electronics specifically the rectifier/regulator. Apart from that, there's a strong online community that can help with any other issues.

I'm 23 so I wanted a large bike that wouldn't be too much for me to handle. I got this bike for $5,000, brand new so I couldn't beat it. The best thing you can do if you own one is learn everything about it and do all the maintenance yourself. Hyosung's dealer network is nothing but thieves and ignorant mechanics that know nothing about the bikes.

One quick note, the pictures you have up for the 2012 model are last year's model. :( 2012 has a new rear fender.
Thanks for posting an owners review of the GV650 Aquila! I am sure that will help out a lot of people here trying to decide how to vote on it.

Hyosung has sent me the correct photos with the new tail. The photos are now fixed site wide.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.