2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero - VOTED: UNCOOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero - VOTED: UNCOOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... aquero.htm

2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero

Swagger on the Open Road

Cool, low, long, ultra stylish – all these adjectives fit the Vulcan® 1700 Vaquero™ plus one more – plenty functional. This bagger, introduced just last year into the Vulcan cruiser line, proves that practicality and cool can co-exist on the same bike. Its aggressive and muscular styling makes any Vaquero rider stand out from the crowd. And with a powerful 1,700cc engine, electronic cruise control and full-featured audio system, the Vaquero begs to be taken out on the open road.

Custom, blacked-out details are your first clue to the Vaquero’s mission, and there’s plenty to see. It all starts with the beautiful Candy Plasma Blue paint on the abbreviated fairing, sculpted tank and curvaceous bodywork that looks as if it could be a mile deep. The Special Edition takes it a step further with its Candy Lime Green with Ebony paint job and a custom marbleized paint graphic. Luxurious chrome accents (engine guards, exhaust, mirrors, etc.) provide a beautiful counterpoint to the glossy paintwork, but it’s perhaps the multi-textured blacked-out engine and chassis treatment that best highlights the Vaquero’s radical aesthetic look. The engine, air-cleaner cover, wheels, fork assembly and tank cover all get the blackout treatment, which gives the bike a true custom look that’s beautiful and menacing at once. It’s definitely not a motorcycle you’ll easily forget.

Beneath all that beautiful bodywork, paint and chrome is a superbly engineered motorcycle, one that blends power, handling, durability and confidence-inspiring character in a massively functional package. It all starts with the Vaquero’s 1,700cc liquid-cooled V-twin, which powers all four Vulcan 1700 models – Voyager®, Classic, Nomad™ and Vaquero. A thoroughly proven design, this 52-degree Vee boasts the very latest in engine technology yet looks like a throwback to the past, a time when the V-twin was the engine to have powering your motorcycle. Features include an overhead cam design, high compression and a long-stroke dimensional design that results in the sort of effortless low- and mid-range thrust that’s so desirable and useful in a big-inch cruiser.

Vaquero’s throttle valve system works with the advanced electronic fuel injection to optimize engine response without detracting from its distinctive V-twin throb. The system uses an Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) and a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) that feed data to the ECU, which adjusts the throttle plates to tailor intake airflow accordingly. The system offers a natural throttle feel, because the APS is activated by a throttle body pulley connected by cables to the throttle grip. Besides the obvious FI advantages such as improved fuel economy and automatic adjustment for altitude changes, the system also permits easy hands-off warm-up and idle speed control. Vaquero also features a water-cooled alternator that produces a staggering 46.8 amps of electrical output – plenty to power a selection of electronic accessories that enrich motorcycle travel.

The result of all this is a massive quantity of usable torque spread out over a shockingly wide rpm range. With 108 foot-pounds of torque, a mere twist of the Vaquero’s throttle delivers arm-stretching acceleration for freeway passing or spirited riding, and the smooth wave of low-rpm grunt is always ready to please when you’re just boppin’ down the boulevard, checking out the scene and chillin’.

Speaking of just cruisin’ along; the Vaquero offers true touring-bike convenience in the form of its electronic cruise control system, conveniently operated from the right handlebar and usable at any speed between 30 and 85 mph in any of the top four gears. The cruise system can be disengaged in any of the following ways: depressing the brake lever, clutch lever, rear brake pedal, or manually turning the throttle grip past the “closed” position.

Additional touring acumen shines through the engine’s six-speed transmission with overdriven 5th and 6th gears, which contributes to a relaxed ride and excellent fuel economy at highway speeds. Power is routed to the rear wheel via a narrow carbon fiber-reinforced drive belt that has a 40-percent higher tensile strength than current Kevlar belts. And that chopped, custom-look fairing? Although lower than a traditional windshield or full fairing, it still cuts a decent-sized hole in oncoming atmosphere, giving the rider a useful still-air cocoon in which to enjoy the ride.

Lockable side-loading hard bags set the Vaquero apart from its Vulcan 1700 brethren. They’re beautifully integrated and spacious, and styled to highlight the bike’s long, low look. A scooped saddle offers a comfortable rider perch, while a minimalist passenger pad sits atop a wildly shaped rear fender that integrates equally stylish taillight and turn signal assemblies.

The frame holding all this hardware together is a single backbone, double cradle unit designed to be a slim and light as possible for an easy reach to the ground and optimal handling. Bolted to the steering head is a mammoth 45mm fork assembly offering 5.5 inches of wheel travel and a thoroughly compliant ride. Suspension in back consists of twin air-assisted shocks with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability working through a beefy steel swingarm. Nine-spoke cast aluminum flat-black wheels hold fat, 130/90 front and 170/70 radial tires that offer light handling characteristics, superb traction and long life. Braking hardware consists of dual 300mm front discs with twin-piston calipers and a 300mm rear disc with a two-piston caliper.

It all adds up to a truly top-of-the-line bagger that encompasses a perfect combination of traits: It’s functional in a wide range of environments, from inner-city cruisin’ to running down the open road. It’s got highly advanced technology. And it’s knee-shakingly beautiful, a bike that’ll put goosebumps on your arms and neck every time you open the garage door to take a peek.

2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero - Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $16,799 to 17,199 USD

Engine Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52° V-twin

Displacement 1,700cc / 103.7ci

Bore x Stroke 102 x 104mm

Compression ratio 9.5:1

Maximum Torque 108 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm

Cooling System Liquid, plus cooling fins

Ignition TCBI with Digital Advance

Induction Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies

Transmission 6-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder

Frame Type Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone

Rake/Trail 30° / 7.0 in.

Front Suspension / wheel travel 45mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.

Rear Suspension / wheel travel Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.

Front Tire Size 130/90x16

Rear Tire Size 170/70x16

Brakes, front / rear Dual 300mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300mm disc, twin-piston caliper

Overall length 98.8 in.

Overall width 38.2 in.

Overall height 50.8 in.

Seat height 28.7 in.

Curb weight 835.7 lbs.**

Wheelbase 65.6 in.

Fuel capacity 5.3 gal.

Color Choices Candy Plasma Blue Candy Lime Green / Ebony

Warranty 36 months

Good Times™ Protection Plan 12, 24 or 36 months

** Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90-percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: This Week: 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

Cool. A serious competitor to the RoadGlide, at a significant price advantage. There's things about the RG I like better, and vice versa for the Varquero. But Kawi is offering value that can't be ignored at the price point.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Just bumping it up. Not a lot of opinions going around when it comes to this bike, ey?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:Just bumping it up. Not a lot of opinions going around when it comes to this bike, ey?
Thanks for the bump. It's interesting as I thought it would be quite controversal as well. Seems to be quite a few votes on it so that's good.

I'll voice my opinion next on this one. :D

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Fail

Yes, I try not to vote fail, but hey, sometimes, in my opinion, when it's wrong, it's wrong and while the price is great, the style just leaves it in the dust.

Kawasaki is known as a performance brand, just take a look at their Inline-4 bikes, they are all high performers and with cutting edge style to boot. I would expect (and rightly so) a Kawasaki cruiser to fill those same shoes as well. The Vaquero, well, seems to be more of an after thought of "well, we need something to market" and thus, it was created. I find it's style is a confusing mixture of retro, modern, muscle and relaxing, a weird mix for sure. And the fairing, a stange relation to the Harley-Davidson batwing (which I'm not a fan of it's looks, but it does work in the wind).

Now I can't fault Kawasaki for trying different things over the years, at least they are trying! The Vulcan 2000 was well, too big and heavy, but it really did show us the 2000cc V-Twin was "over the top" (Honda did the same mistake with the VTX1800). On a side note, did you know VAQUERO is Spanish for COWBOY? Yes, so when you tell someone to go ride a Vaquero, it takes on a while new meaning! :laughing:

I know Kawasaki did try to create an "Amercian Tourer" with the Vaquero, but I just wish they stuck to what really works for them... and IMO that was a Kawasaki Meansteak 1600 type of bike; agressive and powerful, just like Kawasaki is.

Sorry, Kawi, I like your bikes, but this one, even if it's a steal of a deal is a just too much monkey for me.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

I love the colors. :kicking:

That being said, it may be too bright for the target market... :?

What's with the Mexican name though? I don't see the connection and it sounds very silly. Especially when you consider that this is an American Tourer as TMW stated below
totalmotorcycle wrote: I know Kawasaki did try to create an "Amercian Tourer" with the Vaquero

I always liked when a bike manufacturers uses names from their own country of origin; for example, Suzuki Hayabusa, Ducati Desmosedici, or BMW Gelände/Straße. 8)

Probably the only country that probably shouldn't do that is China as any Chinese name sounds totally ridiculous. :roll: :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote:Probably the only country that probably shouldn't do that is China as any Chinese name sounds totally ridiculous. :roll: :laughing:
Hmmm... I can see it now...

Caizhou 150 Chicken Ball

or

Eincheng Extra Egg Roll 1000RR

:laughing:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

HYPERR wrote:I always liked when a bike manufacturers uses names from their own country of origin
I guess that leaves out "Triumph Bonneville"!! :dunno:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

I haven't like the style of this bike since they brought it out...I like baggers (might be my next purchase), but not the "batwing" type of faring...and what is with the useless vents?? The styling sucks, so I went uncool...and with the name translating to "cowboy"...makes me think of that lame song...SAVE A HORSE, RIDE A COWBOY...sounds like an alternative lifestyle to me...for that alone it should be a fail, but I'll stick with uncool...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:
HYPERR wrote:I always liked when a bike manufacturers uses names from their own country of origin
I guess that leaves out "Triumph Bonneville"!! :dunno:
I think it should be then called:

Triumph Bristol

or

Triumph Swindon

or even

Triumph Ace

(or such named for the UK raceways).

Mike